ron 95 or ron 97

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
This is a video that showed why most of us should use RON 95, and the minority RON97 or even RON98.

ALBundy;610356 said:
...To check which fuel has the highest RON, one needs to get the proper measuring equipment. The machine/engine would be running with the ignition timing kept advancing till a knocking sound is pick up. Only petrol companies can afford these machines.

Aiyaa, just use jarance's OBD reader to grab the advance timing degree readings and compare across the different brand of petrol in the same car, then we know which advance timing is most advance lor.. not necessary petrol companies can afford such machines, we can too, with the help of our licensed financiers.. :10:

astroboy;610361 said:
Aiyaa, just use the jarance's OBD reader to grab the advance timing degree readings and compare across the different brand of petrol in the same car, then we know which advance timing is most advance lor.. not necessary petrol companies can afford such machines, we can too, with the help of our licensed financiers.. :10:

The problem is, the OBD reader is a reader as it is. The timing cannot be advanced. How do we determine which fuel in the specific category has the highest RON?

You are assuming that the fuel with the highest RON would have the highest ignition timing. It may not be so.

SMG330i;610244 said:
I'm always a shell guy. So V-power for 97 then i've swtich to BHP ron 95, Caltex ron 95.
i see , any significant power loss or FC differences ?
I ask this because i'm also a shell guy from vpower 97 , thinking to switch to 95 as well , but i found that Shell RON 95 is the worst among all brands, engine become noisier and sluggish , the car feel heavier, but when i try on ESSO 95 without all the problems i mentioned , just an insignificant of power loss.

ALBundy;610363 said:
.. You are assuming that the fuel with the highest RON would have the highest ignition timing. It may not be so.

Our cars timing will keep advancing until the knock sensor stops it. So since low RON fuel will retard timing, you should be able to differentiate which of the RON 95 is the better RON 95. I will take the one that gives me the most advance timing. :4:

Im not sure if it counts but after exactly 10 refuels of half tanks with all brands and RON variation... i found out that from feel and acceleration (for everyday) driving...

***RON 95 ->Esso***

Gives the best response and milage...

(i actually drive till the bar really inline with the last fuel measurement)

Im driving E46 320i 2001

alantiong;604744 said:
I am saying all these for the benefit of all and not just picking something down from the air. I am trained and educated in this topic so i do know a few things when it comes to Petroleum Products, physical and chemical properties of it.

Cheers
Alan

Oh Good. Hope you can answer 2 questions of mine:
1. What is the Aromatic Content in our (malaysia) gasoline ?
Shell's told me is 20% to 50%. The answer is too general.

2. Our gasoline is govern by their "RON" value. How about the MON ?
Do you know the MON value for our gasoline? (for each brand, perhaps?)
Is useless if we get RON99 if the MON is only 85.....

Thanks
TURBOLOGY

3. Does any Gasoline Company in Malaysia use/mix ethanol into their products.

thanks

..well..considering that fuel types are really as its claimed to be (95 or 97) it should be difference ..unless we paying for 95 at price of 97 :) .. i cant say for shell, but i did noticed that I do ride a bit longer with 97 (using petronas,tested on my Range Rover, for my Z4, i couldnt notice difference)..and of course engine should run smoother/better with 97 for sure..

after a quite a few refills of ron 95...

i dont notice much difference...
getting about the same distance with ron 95... about 10.3km/l or about 10 on the dot.

yen187;613644 said:
after a quite a few refills of ron 95...

i dont notice much difference...
getting about the same distance with ron 95... about 10.3km/l or about 10 on the dot.

Agreed. Using Ron 95 for the past couple of weeks on my E32 after half a year using 97, and felt not much difference... Still able to drive spiritedly. :p

Anyone knows what happens if we mix say two tank full of Ron 95 with one tank full of Ron 97? Or say one tank of Ron 95 with one tank of Ron 97?

Besides the obvious savings on the wallet....

Hikaru;617616 said:
Anyone knows what happens if we mix say two tank full of Ron 95 with one tank full of Ron 97? Or say one tank of Ron 95 with one tank of Ron 97?

err.... RON 96?

Hikaru;617616 said:

Dude... how many fuel tanks you have in your car?

LOL....what I meant was the proportion for mixing ron95 and ron97. I am sure all beemers only have one fuel tank XD

After i read this previous comments, i seldom changing btw ron 95 to 97 :

Quote Originally Posted by yen187 View Post
dont know... some ppl suggested pumping like 2 or 3 times ron 95 and 1 time ron 97 just to sort of "clean" the engine again

Reply by bro Ab;
The difference in RON level has nothing to do with cleansing property in the fuel, which non had. In fact, the more u confuse your ECU with different level of timing retards with different fuel. Hence, unable to reach full potential of reaching optimum timing setting for either fuel. Don't do that.

Different RON numbers have different compression levels. Lower the RON number, lesser it can be compressed in the conbustion chamber(Lower # fuel ignite quicker than higher # fuel), therefore, fuel with lower RON # contribute to lower HP output comprare to higher RON # fuel.

This was the outcome of a simple study shown in one episode of 5th Gear. They have tested a 2008/2009 WRX with 3 different brands of fuel (Shell, Mobil, Un-named brand) with 3 different RON # (RON 95, 97, 98)

Top Bottom