RON 97 or RON 95? What brand?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jennypenny;787514 said:
after 7 years only 66% about 8% per year depreciation? very interesting take.

i think the point you are trying to drive is interesting. however, fuel cost in Malaysia is always an oxymoron. its too too too cheap. its almost cheaper than water.

i dont think you add additional 27.2% onto your resell value as your maintenance cost for the first 2-3 years may be a false dawn. with the quality of F30, your projection may be inaccurate.

that said, the fuel in Malaysia is Ron 95. it is good enough for our cars.

If the depreciation is higher, then the additional saving you gain from using RON 95 would be exceeding 30% of your car resell value 7 years later, then it would be almost a no brainer on which RON you should choose. Also, the calculation was to compare the saving you gain by using RON 95 vs RON 97 or even V-Power, so regardless of which type of fuel you are using, it doesn't affect your maintenance cost, thus maintenance cost is stripped out of the model of calculation for ease of comparison.

Well I have seen dyno charts with two different petrol Ron95 and Ron97 and there is definitely a difference in horsepower increase.

If you want to try Ron98, can go to Singapore and pump.

I have also seen a lot of people pumping in a full tank of Ron95 + 1 bottle of Octane booster (total cost less than a full tank of Ron97).

Mavik;787524 said:
Well I have seen dyno charts with two different petrol Ron95 and Ron97 and there is definitely a difference in horsepower increase.

I have also seen a lot of people pumping in a full tank of Ron95 + 1 bottle of Octane booster (total cost less than a full tank of Ron97).

Does the octane booster really work well? I am curious ...

Mavik;787524 said:

I believe Vpower Racing is Ron98

tIANcI;787533 said:
Does the octane booster really work well? I am curious ...
Yup, definite increase in horsepower but quite minimal (max I have seen is around 5whp). But I have heard from mechanics that prolonged use of octane booster isn't advisable and has detrimental effects to the engine. Haven't found concrete proof on that yet at the moment.

In summary, if you want a better driving experience and better protection for your engine and don't mind spending more, then opt for 97. And if $ is more important for you than driving experience and engine reliability in the longer term, then go for 95.

My own experience is with 97, engine will run smoother, quieter, more responsive and better mileage per litre compare to 95.

Morganl;787420 said:
broke 240 kmh easily on LEKAS.... had to back off at around 244 and didn't manage to hit 250 as I got distracted... RON 95 with 1 passenger on board.

Way to go buddy .... yeahhhh..

Morganl;787419 said:
5.9 is on Manual, 6.1 is on Auto transmision... not related to fuel....

Check F30 328i auto 0-100km/h figure in Australia 5.9 secs and Mal 6.1 secs.

It's got nothing to do with transmission nor fuel I don't think. It's a slightly detuned engine to suit the hot weather package for the country here or the ability to run at lower ron fuel (down to Ron 89), or for both reasons.

eter;787656 said:
Check F30 328i auto 0-100km/h figure in Australia 5.9 secs and Mal 6.1 secs.

It's got nothing to do with transmission nor fuel I don't think. It's a slightly detuned engine to suit the hot weather package for the country here or the ability to run at lower ron fuel (down to Ron 89), or for both reasons.

Fuel matters as well, need to constantly check what fuel it is using at those figures. For example in VW brochures, they specifically mentioned that all the 0-100kph times were done with Ron98 fuel. But at the same time, they do detune the engines to suit our hot humidity. Funnily they don't detune the engine in Singapore but in Malaysia, they do.

Top Bottom