ron 95 or ron 97

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yen187

Club Guest
Hi all,with the recent increase and not too sure how much ron 97 will go up to...what ron are you using and which company you recommend?

ron95 for work, ron97 for play. definitely petronas, for better mileage. on those really special occasions, fill up with VPower Racing.

Still sticking to RON 97 despite the gradual price increases for the past year. Previously using 95 for more than a year before swapping to V Power 97 since it was introduced here last year.

Never really tried other brands; been with Shell all this while. Dad also pumps Shell for the other rides we have.

Eggie86;604547 said:
Never really tried other brands; been with Shell all this while. Dad also pumps Shell for the other rides we have.
Yes, try BHP RON 95. Fill up at least 2 full tanks to "experience" the difference. You could be surprised.

i've been using ron 97 all this time but thought of changing to ron 95 for work as Mizhan mentioned...

for 95 i heard there is a few that are good... Petronas, Esso, BHP...

what you guys think?

All the same la..Every brand also claiming that their brand is the best.

Any mechanical difference if we use ron 95 such as problems with start up in the morning etc? I am using ron 97 now but am afraid to change to ron95. I heard that BM can use as low as ron 92, is this true?

Give your BMW the best fuel available ... i still find it one of the cheapest way to give my engines a treat .. :)

Its a bi*ch that Vpower Racing is so limited and out of reach!! :(

Hikaru;604569 said:
Any mechanical difference if we use ron 95 such as problems with start up in the morning etc? I am using ron 97 now but am afraid to change to ron95. I heard that BM can use as low as ron 92, is this true?

Look at your petrol door cap then u know.

Jerman;604555 said:
Yes, try BHP RON 95. Fill up at least 2 full tanks to "experience" the difference. You could be surprised.

Thanks for the suggestion Jerman... Should try it out someday. :4:

dont know... some ppl suggested pumping like 2 or 3 times ron 95 and 1 time ron 97 just to sort of "clean" the engine again

The quality is the SAME so I am not sure of the suggestions you received...

yen187;604588 said:
dont know... some ppl suggested pumping like 2 or 3 times ron 95 and 1 time ron 97 just to sort of "clean" the engine again

yen187;604588 said:

The difference in RON level has nothing to do with cleansing property in the fuel, which non had. In fact, the more u confuse your ECU with different level of timing retards with different fuel. Hence, unable to reach full potential of reaching optimum timing setting for either fuel. Don't do that.

So you mean if we are a regular 97, don't ever switch to 95? I'm actually planning to switch to 95, been a full time v power 97 user, and i can see the price going higher and higher. So, switching is a good choice for me as i travel a lot. I can hit easily 47k a year.

astroboy;604633 said:
The difference in RON level has nothing to do with cleansing property in the fuel, which non had. In fact, the more u confuse your ECU with different level of timing retards with different fuel. Hence, unable to reach full potential of reaching optimum timing setting for either fuel. Don't do that.

ALL BMWs can use RON95, albeit in the high performance engines there could be a reduction in performance, not significant to some to say the least.

I have been using RON95 for some time, mainly Caltex and BHP. And mind you, not all RON95 and RON97 are the same. Some could be RON 94.5 and another brand could be RON 94.2 and all sold under RON 95, similarly for RON97.

Some friends that have modded up their Scoobies swear by Petronas (and of course V power Racing, not the the 97 which is no better than any RON 97 out there) as it allows them to use a more aggressive mapping without any engine pinging.

looks like a lot are using BHP...
will try on my next refill..

so astroboy.. meaning the ECU will be confused if we always change fuel grades?

sorry yea.. me noob..

BHP fuel is good. Probably too goo and too clean. After my ECU remap I often get check engine light due to too much oxygen in the combustion. I never get check engine light with other brands.

Its funny to see this discussion here. A good argument and make us think a bit. To be honest, all of them are the same within 1.2% tolerance in terms of content. (between the brands). The integrity of the fuel depends on the logistic and storage of the fuel. The fuel will deteriorate and contaminated in storages and transfers. I know this as I am supplying the systems to them.

All our UDMs run perfectly on 95. Anything more is waste of $$. Unless you tune your car up to limit on the advance of your ignition, you will not experience much benefit by going 97. Infact if we have 92, i will run 92.

For that 25% more in fuel price to compare with, it is a no brainer. By the way, non of BMW engines will be harm by not using 97. Absolutely no harm at all.

I am saying all these for the benefit of all and not just picking something down from the air. I am trained and educated in this topic so i do know a few things when it comes to Petroleum Products, physical and chemical properties of it.

I hope this can let more people understand the myth about 95 and 97 and even Vpower.

Would be more than to answer any doubts on this matter.

We are paying lots of taxes for income and cars.. so why pay more? 25% for questionable improvement?

Cheers
Alan

by the way. BHP has the worst policy about integrity of their storage system. Well i hope i dun get shoot down by BHP or their clients. But its true. The only oil company which still use a bitumen coated single wall steel tank. Something you will expect to do 30 years ago. rather disgusting!

Top Bottom