Ron 95 Or 97

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

etquah

Guys by Sep, we should be pumping Ron 95 or Ron 97? What is the poll for all the Bimmers owners out there ?

etquah;424241 said:
Guys by Sep, we should be pumping Ron 95 or Ron 97? What is the poll for all the Bimmers owners out there ?

Check the label at the fuel cover. It recommend to use Ron 91 to 98. So up to you.

I think i go for 95.

Our engines can use both RON95 and RON97 because modern fuel injected engines are all equipped with knock sensor to retard ignition timing if sensed detonation caused by the lower RON fuel. Result is engine loss power, and fuel consumption goes up, but won't spoil the engine if that's your concern.

Well, to answer the question, yes both N46 and N52 engine can use RON 95.. but pay attention to the power loss or higher FC if any. Switch it back to RON97 or even V-Power if necessary.

V-Power price has been revised to RM2.05/l now from RM2.12/l.

By September 1st, RON97 will be priced at RM2/l. This means V-Power is only 5 cents more expensive.

It's also interesting to note that V-Power in different countries have different RON rating. Check out the wikipedia on V-Power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Power

This V-Power thingy very the mysterious wan.. Same RON97, I tried it in my 1.3 VVTi, no different in power and FC, only per litre price shoot up.. :eek:

One fella (E46 318i) ask me to try, no point explaining and was told will immediately feel the different. I'm not using because company policy, cannot use company fuel card on V-Power.. :(

astroboy;424271 said:
Our engines can use both RON95 and RON97 because modern fuel injected engines are all equipped with knock sensor to retard ignition timing if sensed detonation caused by the lower RON fuel. Result is engine loss power, and fuel consumption goes up, but won't spoil the engine if that's your concern.

Well, to answer the question, yes both N46 and N52 engine can use RON 95.. but pay attention to the power loss or higher FC if any. Switch it back to RON97 or even V-Power if necessary.

Not all fuel injected engines equipped with knock sensors.
Is best the check your user manual or fuel tank label.
With lower RON fuel, you get less advance on timing, thus lower power output.
You shouldn't see much different if you are light-footer...

i've tested ron 92 on wira 1.5 auto injection for 2 full tank. The result - dramatically loss of power and consume more fuel. You'll end up paying more at the end since u have to frequent the petrol station more often.

On a hot daylight, you can hear the engine pinging as well.

I've not tested the ron 95 yet. But i don;t think the few rm save justify the loss. Penny wise pound foolish i guess.

it just not fair actually
the govt shud have introduce the ron95 for the mass and ron 98 or higher for alternative....atleast those who want to spend more on fuel have an option.

the situation now, you are paying more for the exact same thing.

glock_8;424813 said:
i've tested ron 92 on wira 1.5 auto injection for 2 full tank. The result - dramatically loss of power and consume more fuel. You'll end up paying more at the end since u have to frequent the petrol station more often.

On a hot daylight, you can hear the engine pinging as well.

I've not tested the ron 95 yet. But i don;t think the few rm save justify the loss. Penny wise pound foolish i guess.

Carbon built up in your wira bro :love:

Will probably use RON 95 in Sept. Right now have switched back to RON97 after using V-Power for 2100km. Better FC with V-Power but since V-Power is RM0.25/L more, it's still cheaper to use RON97. Don't really notice much power difference. Maybe it's because I am usually light-footed, or maybe because the engine is powerful enough that I don't notice. Whatever slight difference I may feel, could be due to the expectation effect (or whatever it's called), where you feel something because you expect to feel something, rather than because you actually feel it.

Maybe if I pressed harder on the gas pedal, I would notice it more? Hehe...

Traveler;425058 said:
Will probably use RON 95 in Sept. Right now have switched back to RON97 after using V-Power for 2100km. Better FC with V-Power but since V-Power is RM0.25/L more, it's still cheaper to use RON97. Don't really notice much power difference. Maybe it's because I am usually light-footed, or maybe because the engine is powerful enough that I don't notice. Whatever slight difference I may feel, could be due to the expectation effect (or whatever it's called), where you feel something because you expect to feel something, rather than because you actually feel it.

Maybe if I pressed harder on the gas pedal, I would notice it more? Hehe...

You should ask someone else to fill for u and don't tell u what has been filled, then u will not be "bias" in your judgment.

Like when I use Torco, I didn't tell my wife but she come home one day and ask what did I do with the car.. yes! That obvious !! :eek:

OK I'm new here, but some info, the V power adverts that claim to give extra power and economy are illegal in Europe,. Why because it can' be proved. Try this, take some V power put it in a dish and see what is left after a few days in the sun!! this is what it leaves in your system, I don't want that in my engine, and you want me tpo pay extra for this? My rule is never to use Vpower on an engine I don't use every day, and if I have to use V power in my sport bike ( which can stand for weeks without beuing used) I turn off the fuel and let the engine stop by running dry of fuel,

No offense bro, but I do get better FC with V-Power. Presently standing at life-time averages of 11.9 l/100km and 48.9 kmh with a 2.5l engine. That's empirical data, not advertising. ;)

Can't be bothered to do the dish in the sun experiment, so please put me out of my misery and tell what it is that's left behind that won't be left behind with normal petrol? :)

IsaacVky;424849 said:
Carbon built up in your wira bro :love:

i guess so...its a beater actually so i dont give a f with the car condition hahaha..but non of the problems occur when i switch back to ron97...

ofcourse my 3series only uses vpower from day one.:top:

Schwepps;425092 said:
No offense bro, but I do get better FC with V-Power. Presently standing at life-time averages of 11.9 l/100km and 48.9 kmh with a 2.5l engine. That's empirical data, not advertising. ;)

Can't be bothered to do the dish in the sun experiment, so please put me out of my misery and tell what it is that's left behind that won't be left behind with normal petrol? :)

that is a very impressive figure!!:top: mine can only get average 13l/100km with average somewhere around that speed.

i sold my beater and now been using the 325 daily for the past 3 weeks...the jam and short trip really put a toll on our engine...my CBS prompt for 10k km oil change when my actual mileage is only 7k km. 30% shorter life when used as daily drive:eek:

Schwepps;425092 said:
..Can't be bothered to do the dish in the sun experiment, so please put me out of my misery and tell what it is that's left behind that won't be left behind with normal petrol? :)

*Raise hand!* Let me guess...

... white color power substance? That's how they smuggle drugs.. :p

glock_8;424814 said:
it just not fair actually
the govt shud have introduce the ron95 for the mass and ron 98 or higher for alternative....atleast those who want to spend more on fuel have an option.

the situation now, you are paying more for the exact same thing.

Ya la. Now we ahve to pay more to use Ron 97

I haven't tried it myself, but I think it's to be expected as our engines are designed for 98 RON. Droppiing to 95 RON is going half way down the allowed range (98 to 91) so it's a substantial drop.

From Sept 1, filling up is going to cost us more, as 97 RON will not be subsidised and will float with the price of oil. It may even be taxed to recover some of the subsidy for 95 RON. :(

Top Bottom