My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Lee36328;274446 said:
I see you're starting early on your 3k annual maintenance budget...

That was last years budget, which I blew, he...he!

Anyway did my allignment & balancing on Sat. This yrs budget starts fresh, well 3k was being too optimistic and not the way i care for the car.

Been distracted with this detailing thing.

Dropped by Beyond Car Wash @ Arratoon Road today to wash my wife's car.

Spoke to the owner who uses autoglm products.He says he specilises in black cars. Anyone tried polishing ur car here?

Haha, I got my black beemer washed there at around 7.30pm just now... I saw a bunch of people hanging around talking, not too far from from the cashier counter... Didn't quite notice whether you were there, not too bright already at that time.

So, who is the owner? Any description if the owner? Is he the one with the weird colour E46 (I dunno what colour to call it)? Maybe I should talk to him one day, need to do some detailing work too on mine.

LCP;280227 said:
So, who is the owner? Any description if the owner? Is he the one with the weird colour E46 (I dunno what colour to call it)? Maybe I should talk to him one day, need to do some detailing work too on mine.

That a bit like gold + bronze color one? I saw that car often parked over there especially in the evening.

I once inquired about the time it would take to detail my car... if I remember correctly they said ~2hrs. I didn't go for it and went all the way to BM where a shop is using similar product.

Yep, that's the funny colour car... 2 hrs is not too bad, supposedly got free wifi in the waiting room, just need to lug my super heavy notebook over...

LCP;280207 said:
Haha, I got my black beemer washed there at around 7.30pm just now... I saw a bunch of people hanging around talking, not too far from from the cashier counter... Didn't quite notice whether you were there, not too bright already at that time.

Owner is this youngish looking guy called Amin. Yes the "gold" E46 is his. I think I'll wax my car myself first as I still got some MGC wax left. Maybe send for polishing later this yr.

I had a scare today. I was in Jln Tenggiri, Seberang Jaya. At the traffic lights(b4 Shell station), my wife was commenting that there was a strong petrol smell . We thought it was the car in front of us. Suddenly a lady started knocking on my window saying that petrol was coming out under my car.

I pulled over and it was petrol pouring out. Called my mech and he told me to go to any workshop nearby as it was probably a hose.

There was a mech behind the Shell station. I drove there (about 100 metres away.)

He wasnt sure what the cause was. My mech told me to tell him to look under the rear seat but the mech told me he had to drop the fual tank to check. He didnt really seem to know what to do.(although he was quite helpful, he wasnt even sure how the jack the car up on the ramp....where to place the ramp legs...he eventually did it but I was worried that he would damage my undercarriage).

I decided to call AAM and toe the car back to Pg to my normal mech.

My mech seened to know excactly what went wrong , the hose under the rear seat gave way and caused the petrol to leak. He changed the hose and cleaned up the area. It took 10 mins and costed me RM20. Phew

The bridge toll for AAM's truck was anor RM45 and I tipped the driver RM5.

What a scary experience seeing petrol leak when I tried to drive the car.

Lesson learnt: avoid inexperienced mechs in an emergency as they may make things worse. Just try to toe your car back to ur normal BMW chap.

anxious, was it a loose clip or broken hose? Do u recommend periodic hose replacement?

astroboy;282863 said:
anxious, was it a loose clip or broken hose? Do u recommend periodic hose replacement?

Well let me try to explain to explain.

When I towed my car to the workshop and told my mech what happened, he immediately opened the rear seat. He then unscrewed the black color plactic cover under which there are two hoses.He said one is a pressure hose and the other is a overflow hose @ something like that.

The end of the pressuse hose had eroded over time and I presume suddenly way as there was absolutely no warning about it.Whe the incident happened I tried to move the car to a nearby w/shop the petrol just started pouring out.

What my mech did was he cut out the old hose (3-4 inches) and replaced it with a new hose( with a metal pipe inside). He said this problem is quite common in a E36 and I suggest u guys get ur hoses checked.

now I remember that this is what I have forgotten to get CS to replace when I was there today to fix my slight leak on the radiator.

Hi guys,

I have had my E36 for a year now. I must say that I have been truly enjoying my car for the last few months.

I have done 16000km todate. Just compiled my tax returns for my accountant which revealed that I had spent RM22k on the car last year(repair & maintenance).

I hope to keep my E36 for another 3 years at least and therefore it was worthwhile to do her up as she is my daily ride.( Howver I must say that I get very itchy at times thinking about a E46 325i esp in view of the current prices)

The initial teething problems seem to have gone away and I am now looking forward to improving the car.

Looks wise the car really needs a change of rims. The current 15in basketweave is a bit boring and very difficult to clean. Anyway since my tyres are still new (16k km), it an upgrade to be considered later this year.

My suspension(Bilstein Black) is also new but Eibach springs and Bilstein Yellow(sport) are an attractive alternative.

What about strut bar and anti roll bars?

What else can I do with my car?

See http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/11/27/cute-bmw-e36-can-you-make-it-look-better/#comments

Cheers.

Anxious..

it depends what you want for your e36. If you want stock standard, look for a nicer 15" rims and keep it as it. Don't even bother lowering it.

But anti-roll bar, yes. that is a must for either handling and comfort. Go for the H&R, Eibach or AC.

Thanks Elwine,

What about front strut bar (BMW Motorsport front strut bar) and iridium spark plugs?

I hv read that the best bang for the buck is upgrading the Anti Roll Bars (ARB) to Eibach...?

Other option KNN drop in filter.

Anxious...dun use the drop in KNN filter.. the oil in the filter will screw up your airmass big time...

pussy;314033 said:
Anxious...dun use the drop in KNN filter.. the oil in the filter will screw up your airmass big time...

Thks pussy. I had suspected so. My E30 air flow sensor had problems after I installed KNN drop in but I dont know for sure whether it caused it or it was normal wear and tear.

Anyways advise taken, I'll just change my air filter at the next service.

I am seriously thinking of getting performance spark plugs at my next service, what should I go for....Bosch, NGK vs Beru....which type and how much does it cost.

Strut Bar vs Eibach ARB kit......I read that the ARB kit dors wonders, any testimonials?

see
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3804645

Thanks.

PS. Congratulations to the new committee, I wish you guys all the best.

i had my experience in installing the IE in my E30. I think you sat on it once when i took you for a taxi ride in penang. ;)

Top Bottom