My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hey Anxious, On your fuel consumption, have you checked your O2 sensors? If a modic test will tell you if it is ok, unless the unit have been grounded then it will read ok even when faulty. Next to check is your exhaust, they can also contribute to fuel consumption.

I do not know about 325, but with 328 here are my milage which I think is quite good.

From Klang, Passing through City traffic, up Karak, east west highway up to kemaman total 372 KM. and then city driving withing kemaman.

1. Within speen limit 680KM
2. Highway speed of 140KM constant 620KM
3. Highway speed of 140 - 220KM 580KM

Within city driving in KL it sucks big time. I get only 300+ KM, if traffic jams, sometimes barely reaching 400KM.

I would think that you should get better with a 325. However I done some electrical works, and every 2 full tanks I add in one portion on X1R fuel additive.

Hope this helps

Rubes, thanks for your concern. I really appreciate all the comments and support I got from the forumers.

It has been more than two months and 5000km since my repair works and the car seems to be running fine. I am using Castrol Magnatec and plan to change the engine oil soon.

I ahave driven the car to Ipoh from Pg a few times and earlier this month had driven to KL for my alumni's anniversary dinner. That drive was truly enjoyable and I did 140km.

But for the unpleasant experience I had when I got the car I have no regrets getting it.

I kept my E30 for 4 yrs and hope to keep my 325 for as long if not longer.

I know photos are long overdue but I still havent got a hold of a digital camera yet.

Thanks again guys.

I have decided to follow the following schedule:-

Oil Service @ 6 months @ 10000km
Change Synthetic Oil & Filter

Inspection 1 @ 12 months @ 20000km
Change Air Filter
Microfilter?
Whatelse??

Oil Service @ 18 months @ 30000km

Inspection 2 @ 24 months @ 40000km
Change Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Microfilter
Brake Fluid
Coolant
Steering Fluid
ATF & Filter
Diff Oil

Whatelse?

Also what synthetic oil do you guys use/recommend?

Thanks.

8.9.2007(87125km)

OIL SERVICE

Castrol Magnatec RM156 (spare part shop in BW)

Oil Filter RM30
Coolant Fluid RM35
Air Con microfilter (VEMO) RM58
Brake Bulb RM10
Labour RM48
S tax RM2.40
Total RM178.40(excl oil)

Grand Total RM334.40

Last Service 30.5.2007 (80430km) is 6700km ago.

Reminder: Next Oil Change 6500km or @ 93500km
Next Inspection 1 @ 100000km

I am considering the follwingservice schedule using Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic :-

Oil changes @ 6500km
Oil change @ 13000km
Inspection 1 @ 20000km every year

Oil changes @ 26500km
Oil change @ 33000km
Inspection 2 @ 40000km every 2 years

My wife just brought back the September 2007 issue of BMW Car from S'pore.

At pg 103, you will find the answer to a question I had posted to the Editor back in May 2007 regarding the problems I had been faced when I first purchased my car.

The answer I got was pretty much similar to the answer in NST's Car Bikes & Trucks pullout sometime in May/June 2007 which pointed to the piston rings.

AS you all know I had since solved the problem which turned out to be a cracked cylinder head and a cracked valve which was most probably due to a series of overheating that the previous owner had prior to selling me the car.

My air con is now blowing hot air. It has not been very cool for the past few weeks.

Two weeks ago when I serviced my car I changed the microfilter in the hope that it AC would improve but day b4 yday it just failed and keeps blowing out hot air.

Well got to wait till Saturday to get it checked.

The last 3 mths hv been troble free but wear and tear happens I guess. Luckily I have no HP instalment to pay having bought the car cash and have cleared my credit card debts for the earlier repairs.

I hope its only gas or a leak. Keep you guys informed.

Sounds like a leak, especially if it's gradually losing its cooling ability...

Hi Anxious,

Nice house....it is those houses near USM. About the car, when u going to upgrade the rims. :top:

BlueMixWhite;255575 said:
Hi Anxious,

Nice house....it is those houses near USM. About the car, when u going to upgrade the rims. :top:

Thanks. Its in Tanjung Bungah.

As for the rims, I'll probably "upgrade" when I change my tyres , probably next year.

I havent update this thread in a while.

The past few months of motoring have been pretty much "uneventful"...PHEW!

Anyway as usual when things are ok we tend to get a bit gatal.

In October, I purchased an armrest from Lionel Koh.

I then got a set of tail pipe extensions from Auto Bavaria for RM231.56.

On Friday I visited AB Pg and got my car inspected.

See http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16223

My car will be due for service soon and I intend to address the matters revealed at AB's inspection then.

Have a great Christmas guys.

Now its time for the mods hehehe:top:

U must be rich for sending yr car to AB.

Merry Christmas.

initialM;273128 said:
Now its time for the mods hehehe:top:

U must be rich for sending yr car to AB.

Merry Christmas.

No - lah, if I was I would probably be driving a E90.

Anyways, in Pg we dont have much choice, I just wanted to double check my mech after spending so much money.

Well RM160 isnt that much particularly if you take into account that my mech would change me RM40 just to do the modic. The car wash saved me anor RM10.

Also I now have some peace of mind and thats priceless.

Happy New Year.

Anxious,

Happy new year.

The problem for we e36 fanatics is, if there's nothing to do on our cars, we get itchy... know what i mean?

Here's my update on repairs done at Chu Seng Auto repairs today:-

28.12.2007 91 779km

Engine Oil & BMW Coolant( mine)

Oil Filter RM30
Lemforder Anti Roll Bar Bush(F) 2 pcs RM70
Lemforder Lower Conrol Arm Bush (F) 2 pcs RM96
Valve cover gasket RM95
6' Fuel Hose RM21.00

Labour RM222
Stax RM11.10

Total RM545.10

The above and some other minor work took more than half a day( which I spent @ t workshop on my day off) incl screwing the loose heatshield cover( needed to remove exhaust).

I shall be keeping an eye on the following:-

-slight leak @ power steering hose...no loss of ATF
-oil filter pressure hose
-l/shaft coupling
-rear axle output shaft seal

Top Bottom