My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
anxious;222941 said:
Ok guys it has been more than a week since my last post on this thread.

Glad to report that the car seems to be running well. Of course there are some sounds here and there but I have come to accept that it is unavoidable on a 12 yr old car. I hope to slowly sort them out.

I must say the car is a pleasure to drive. Drove it to Ipoh and back to Pg over the weekend, very smooth.

Fuel Consumption seems to still be a bit high.

After the top overhaul and replacement of cylinder head my FC improved a bit.

I got about 400km b4 the light came on.(50% highway 50% town)

This week (after changing the air filter & Tyres) I got about 450km (75% highway 25% town)

Ideally shouldnt I be getting 450km town & 600km highway?

My concern is not the cost but whether my car is running optimumly or whether there is still something wrong?

Back to my question pls.

Ok, back to your question. When I had my E36 326i:D , I estimated I was doing around 420+km for 75% highway and 25% city driving fo full tank. For highway driving, I could easily get 600km. Estimation based on km/L. So I think you are about there. However, I think Lee36328 did better... see his threads.

Anxious,

if you average about RM0.25/km on Vpower (RM2.15/litre) in mixed driving, you're in good shape.

Take note however, 325 is lower on torque in the low rpm band, so city driving will drive up the fuel consumption more than 328.

Ok normally I fill up about RM100( slightly less) worth of petrol.

So far I've got 400km & 450km.(after overhaul)

So if I can hit 400km consistently that would give me roughly RM0.25 per km.

So that would be ok.

I know its high time I upload some pics. LCP, 8080 call me when u r free pls.

On anor topic, when I changed my tyres recently, the tyre shop guy told me he felt some freeplay on my wheels and advised me to check it b4 i do my wheel allignment. Just hvnt found the time to sort it out. Could it be the tie rod?

Anxious,

Take it slow.. As time pass, I know more of my car, I start to notice all the little details.. Discovery of new things to do and repairs...

Guess it will never end.. but this is also the best part of owning a BMW.. Learn about German.

My boss is German anyway.

anxious;225055 said:
Ok normally I fill up about RM100( slightly less) worth of petrol.

So far I've got 400km & 450km.(after overhaul)

So if I can hit 400km consistently that would give me roughly RM0.25 per km.

So that would be ok.

Are you using VPower RM2.15/litre?

If not, then it should be lower than 0.25/litre.

anxious, don't compare with your e30 consumption. 6 pot is a different drinker. :). Power comes from burning petrol. Same goes for cubic capacity.

Actually my E30 consumption wasnt great eiher. Remember I was one of the few guys who had an original 318i(Auto).

If memory serves me well I got 330km for about RM75 in my E30.

The reason I posted the query was mainly to ascertain that my car was performing back to normal after all the repairs I've undertaken.

Well, thanks anyway.

well, the car is in a good shape bro. Enjoy the drive. Might see you end of July when i m up there with my old jalopy. hahaha

To update on ABS pump

Hi been a long time since I last posted here regarding anxious's ABS pump problem and was advised by forummers to source halfcut part. as this is not meant to be repaired according to all BMW mechanics I went to.
Just to update, I posted a while back regarding my '98 328i cabrio ABS pump failing, leaking fluid and having tried to source halfcut parts from Brunei, KK and Miri (apparently cabrio got different design pump and east msia not having much cabrios=no parts) and leaving my car in the workshop for a week, I was left with no options but to decide on a new pump. Then the mechanic calls. Apparently, in his spare time, he had taken apart my pump, and retrofitted some seals which were found to be broken/worn out. Used up a few quarts of brake fluid, fitted n refitted and tested a few times to check the leakage solved or not. I have been using my car for about 2 weeks now, with a REPAIRED ABS pump, no leakage, braking back to normal (actually better cos I had new discs & pads before they found out the exact reason why my ABS light was on). Cost of new ABS pump B$1800. Cost of repair: B$204. I love my mechanic..
Offtopic but last night i did a 2 hr town cruise, then walloped in sports mode-hearing a 6 cyl engine sing to 5k rpm on fully open throttle with an open roof, in an underpass tunnel=sick addiction. I love BMW..next repair-steering rack and rear wheel bearing.

anxious;225260 said:
Not V Power, Caltex sometimes Shell.

If the car runs about mostly in Penang island traffic, fuel consumption will be unavoidably on the high side.

Carbon build up will be rapid.

Suggest frequent decarbonizing.

God bless Anxious and thanks, thanks for sharing with us your experience. Appreciate it a lot as I am about to get my e36 as well which is also 10 years old...makes me think twice and doubting...am currently running on e30 :)

Regards

Spyky1,
just had my ABS pump [warning lights on intermittently] replaced
with a used unit and it cost $500 all in [part/fluids/instal] for my
1998 328iA E36. Now no more ABS warning light and drives/stops
like a dream. Lets hope it stays that way for some moons to come!
Also renewed both engine and gearbox mountings, all in for the sum
of $546. Result? Smoother and no vibrations.......... Ooooooohveeeeee!

incredibly today i got one of the best fule consumption on my e30 316i. 10.96 km per liter. 594.3 km on 54.18 liters of petronas 97.

i am running 10w40 sythentic oil. and is this considered good or just normal?

Dear Anxious,

I read with great intrest in your experience, and I must say you are one patient person. One in dealing with your troubles and two in documenting it all down. I for one never look at the milage of a car when I do purchase one, the milage is only a tell tail of when to change what. If a proper maintenance is done then you wouldn't have much problems, but I'm sure you already know that.

I have a e36 328 which is 11 years and have clocked 317000Km on it. However I don't think you spent overly on your car, you just spent a lot in a very short period. I cracked head was defenately a bummer, but that's life. I have a few suggestion if you'd like but be warned, I'm no expert. these were issues I had with my ride and what I did to fix it.

1. you describes the thug..thug sound from the dash every few seconds. did it sound like something closing? It clould be your AC air intake flap, the pin may have come loose.

2. When you slow down your car the engine sounds loud. Do you feel a loss of power? Had that, changed my batteries and did not have that problem anymore. Could be something else I don't know but it sure solved my problem.

I'm a little kiasu as well when it comes to cars, I change oil every month regardless of milage, but never exceed the recomended oil change milage. i budget about RM1K a month, and when my service do not reach that amount i look for something to change, or add. I've also learnt something from mechanics. If they are close to you, everything is fine with your car. You have to sometimes force them to change things. there was one time I felt my car floating, asked my regular mech about it and he said he can't feel it. Told him to check lower arm bushings he said not time to change yet. After much persistance, when he removed the lower arm mounts, they were indeed worn.

I guess at times the mech is not the best place for advise. that is why I'm in the forum, there is a lot of invaluable information here, and nothing beats the experience or a fellow driver.

Well, i still have a problem with my long shaft which I can't seem to fix. Other than that the car purrs like a pussycat.

I hope this will be the last of your problems, and it will be nothing but sheer pleasure after this. But one word of advise, Change parts when required and before they wear off, it'll save you loads of cash.

cheers Mate

Top Bottom