Mazda Miata MX-5

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerman

Club Guest
Ok guys, petrol prices have shot through the roof making my daily commute with my beloved Bimmer a seriously expensive affair. So now i'm thinking of using the Bimmer for weekends and family outings and getting a second car for the everyday stuff like work.I'm thinking Mazda MX-5. The car is cheap secondhand. About RM40+K only and is sure to save fuel. Besides, it's rear wheel drive and is a genuine drivers car with soul.What else to get if not a MX-5? I'd like to hear what you guys think. Please share your thoughts with me.

Check out mx5my.com, they are quite a helpful and happening group there.

Let's work out the maths....

RM40+k for another car, not to mention additional road tax / insurance / maintenance to take care of. Just wondering how long it would take you to recover the cost and maintenance of the second car from the savings in fuel by not driving your 5 silli.

In my case, if I were to use my SLOTH daily, I would have to spend an additional RM100 per month. That works to RM1,200 per annum. Assuming my second car can save that much per annum, it would take me many many years to recover the costs. Think about it.

buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! buy!!!
if you can find one good one!!! :yahoo:

Hmmm... You have a point there flash. What about if I were to sell my wife's Nissan Sentra. Let her drive my Bimmer for her short drive to work and get a MX-5?

Originally posted by ah lian@Mar 1 2006, 03:32 PM
buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! buy!!!
if you can find one good one!!! :yahoo:
Hoi! Ah Lian!!! I can see why you're so excited. You also drive MX-5 izzit? How's the car? Reliable or not? Cheap to run or not? Tell me more.....

Originally posted by bimmerman@Mar 1 2006, 03:17 PM
Ok guys, petrol prices have shot through the roof making my daily commute with my beloved Bimmer a seriously expensive affair. So now i'm thinking of using the Bimmer for weekends and family outings and getting a second car for the everyday stuff like work.

I'm thinking Mazda MX-5. The car is cheap secondhand. About RM40+K only and is sure to save fuel. Besides, it's rear wheel drive and is a genuine drivers car with soul.

What else to get if not a MX-5? I'd like to hear what you guys think. Please share your thoughts with me.
why dont you just get a Nissan Silvia S13 or 180SX or S13.5

price range are around RM40-50K

Advantages compare to MX5

4 Seater
Can drift easily
Spare part damn Cheap
Engine can last
Ganaz Looking
Price will never drop again except if AE86 drop
The rear boot can keep a lot of thing
Stable when you drive over 240kmh
Can borrow me for a while as i miss my previous car :p
roof will never leak
roof not need to change (MX5 roof is going to reach its max life span)

Disadvantage

Not open roof
Not Mazda (some like mazda mah)

just a lil guide for interested buyers:

1. year and mileage has no bearing on the price.
2. check for chasis and structural integrity (all others can be changed)
3. obtain import AP documents if intending to obtain financing.
4. financing is expensive (7% or higher) and hard to get as it is >10 years old
5. always test drive to understand the condition
6. serviceable parts are easy to obtain and maintenance is simple & cheap.
7. aftermarket parts are hard to come by
8. join mx5my.com

Originally posted by bimmerman@Mar 1 2006, 03:32 PM
Hmmm... You have a point there flash. What about if I were to sell my wife's Nissan Sentra. Let her drive my Bimmer for her short drive to work and get a MX-5?
Ha ha, I see you have your heart set on the MX-5. :D

The other option would actually to keep both cars, Beemer and Sentra but the person who travel the shorter distance uses the Beemer. I did this during the previous petrol price increase and I found the saving was quite significant (I work in KL, wifey in Shah Alam, we stay in Shah Alam).

Well, if you really intend to keep the Beemer and still want to sell the Sentra to get the MX-5, why not.... :D

how much a pug 206cc nowadays? :D

see if the difference a lot onot

because the interest rate for MX5 is defitenitely high and 6 % is not possible since gov has announce standard car (used) will be around 4%-8.5%

if the monthly of both car is around the same

y not

Ambank set 14 % for sports car

Originally posted by ah lian@Mar 1 2006, 03:40 PM
just a lil guide for interested buyers:

1. year and mileage has no bearing on the price.
2. check for chasis and structural integrity (all others can be changed)
3. obtain import AP documents if intending to obtain financing.
4. financing is expensive (7% or higher) and hard to get as it is >10 years old
5. always test drive to understand the condition
6. serviceable parts are easy to obtain and maintenance is simple & cheap.
7. aftermarket parts are hard to come by
8. join mx5my.com
Yup, i'm already in MYMX5.com. Thanks to Zaskar. same name: Bimmerman

Thanks for the great advice. Appreciate it.

Originally posted by bmwsideways@Mar 1 2006, 03:42 PM
how much a pug 206cc nowadays? :D

see if the difference a lot onot

because the interest rate for MX5 is defitenitely high and 6 % is not possible since gov has announce standard car (used) will be around 4%-8.5%

if the monthly of both car is around the same

y not

Ambank set 14 % for sports car
Peugeot ah? Tak nak lah. Front wheel drive lah. Kenot drift! So far the only 2 front wheel drive cars that can drift (a bit only) is the Honda Integra and my Bluebird U13.

Which do you guys think saves more fuel?

Soulless and carburetored 850CC Kanchil, Kelisa, Myvy or the full of soul MX-5?

Originally posted by bimmerman@Mar 1 2006, 03:56 PM
Which do you guys think saves more fuel?

Soulless and carburetored 850CC Kanchil, Kelisa, Myvy or the full of soul MX-5?
Yikes, range of cc from 850 to 1600.... difficult wor. But IMO, 70cc kapcai the best. :D Ok, seriously, for really bad traffic jam situation, SLK. Longer distance driving with lesser stops, yeah, I would plonk for the MX-5 or Myvi.

So, since the MX-5 is such a light car, it should have quite a good power to weight ratio right? Should be getter than my Sentra B14 right? My mother uses the Sentra and RM65 buys 400KM (old price of 1.62) Can the MX-5 beat that?

Top Bottom