E46 318i 2.0 vs Mazda 6?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
If he has to buy the Mazda 6, buy the hatch. Not the sedan.

Its a pity the MPS is based on the sedan as the hatch is so much sexier.

Was considering the Mazda 6 2 yrs ago before i bought the E46 and it was a really nice car. Bose sound system, electronic seats and i really liked the dashboard with the integrated display for a/c and stereo into one strip.

But having said that, i think he should go for the Honda Accord or even better, Accord Euro.

The new Accord 2.4l with options etc can be had for under RM160k and its a nicer car than the Mazda 6.

There are alot of Honda Accord Euro's in Australia but im not sure if Malaysia has any thu the parallel importers but i heard Naza got some..

It looks younger and sportier than the Accord..

Attached is the JDM Accord Euro-R with the K20A... :drool:

The Accord Euro looks like this minus the body kit with a K24.. Still nice.. haha

for me i will take the Mazda 6. At least you are buying a new car with some impressive new technology under the hood. The BMW engine platform although proven but is ageing. And parts starts to wear out significantly after 3 years of usage.

.....unless he has a buring desire for UDMs like some of the folks here (and everywhere)...... :D :D :D

Originally posted by bmwky@Aug 2 2005, 01:30 AM
for me i will take the Mazda 6. At least you are buying a new car with some impressive new technology under the hood. The BMW engine platform although proven but is ageing. And parts starts to wear out significantly after 3 years of usage.

.....unless he has a buring desire for UDMs like some of the folks here (and everywhere)...... :D :D :D
Unfortunately Mazda like Ford are sub-brands when it comes to Malaysian car market. Wont be long till the novelty of the new design of the 6 fades off and the car will be like an old Telstar TX5/626, or Lantis or Astima etc which has zero appeal now and are commonly regarded as junk cars now. BMWs on the other hand, maintains its classic look and enthusiast following no matter how old they are.

Originally posted by bmwky@Aug 2 2005, 02:30 PM

:D i wudn't call the mzr 2.0 engine under the 6's hood mated to a 4-speed slushbox impressive technologically..to me its nothing special. but the handling balance has won many praises the world over..now that wud be a good reason la..
IMHO the 6's shape will age faster than the 3er and a few years down the road the 3er will still look good..aged but good(cue sean connery!!!!).
just my opinion... :D

hi all,

just my 2 cents worth from Down Under. Have driven both the Mazda 6 and the 318i. My current car is an E46 2001 330i so i think i can comment on both the bimmers and the Mazda. The 6 is a pretty good car and prestige aside, puts up a good match to the 318i which is pretty underpowered relative to the Mazda (which is a 2.4litre version here btw). Handling wise, although the 6 is a FWD, it still racks up well with the 318i.
Guess its just whether you want to prestige of the Bimmer or the relatively cheaper to maintian Mazda 6.

As for me, will be going for a test drive in the 6 MPS once it comes out here(but will probably still stick to my current car for sentimental reasons)

Hope this helps!!

Cheers mate and happy driving!!

PS. btw i am a Malaysian working in Sydney...

Originally posted by OzBimmer@Aug 14 2005, 02:00 PM
hi all,

just my 2 cents worth from Down Under. Have driven both the Mazda 6 and the 318i. My current car is an E46 2001 330i so i think i can comment on both the bimmers and the Mazda. The 6 is a pretty good car and prestige aside, puts up a good match to the 318i which is pretty underpowered relative to the Mazda (which is a 2.4litre version here btw). Handling wise, although the 6 is a FWD, it still racks up well with the 318i.
Guess its just whether you want to prestige of the Bimmer or the relatively cheaper to maintian Mazda 6.

As for me, will be going for a test drive in the 6 MPS once it comes out here(but will probably still stick to my current car for sentimental reasons)

Hope this helps!!

Cheers mate and happy driving!!

PS. btw i am a Malaysian working in Sydney...
:p i think u mean 2.3?? now that'll be a better car..the 2.3 has more power and torque to complement the superb chassis.
actually i'm a fan of the 6MPS too..hehe :D
i think the MPS is a paradigm shift for the japanese in terms of thinking where sports saloons are concerned..they are getting closer to the 330i and further away from the Evo/STi.I LIKE.... B)

Originally posted by OzBimmer@Aug 14 2005, 08:09 PM
thanks for pointing out that typo. I test drove the manual version of the 6 here and was very tempted, but got a really good deal on my 330i. Can't imagine what it would be like with the 2.0litre engine. Hope to testdrive the MPS when it comes out, just to feel what a turbo-engine feels like!!

Cheers
OzBimmer, welcome to the forum.

Maybe u can intro urself in the Newbies Section

I was at the workshop (again) this morning and this E36 318i owner struck a conversation wif me and complained about rising cost of maintenance. He was bemourning the cost of radiator fan which came up to almost RM2K and said he's changing to Honda Accord which comes with 2-years FREE maintenance. He asked me if a newer E46 will cost less to maintain than his 9-yr old E36? I gave him the dirty look and offered to pass him by black book of chop shops in case he opted for a 2nd hand E46...

yes that's my main concern, maintainance cost, my bro in law will kill me if something goes wrong.

driving pleasure vs economy?

Top Bottom