Learning to use an E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

astroboy

It took a near 2 hours for the SA to go thru the functions and features in an E90 today! I find it too much for me to absorb in a day.. need to spend more time tonight going thru the manual..1. The key: its like a thumb drive that records all personalised settings except MP3s [:D], it carries information including the seat positions, radio stations, the way the central locks unlock itself, the number of blinks for the turning indicators.. etc.2. On Board display.. need to reset RFT and...... gezz... can't remember lio... so many things! Yes, engine oil level, mileage or time to next brake disc rotor change (front/rear), mileage or time to next brake fluid change.... aiyaa... a lot of info la... now headache lio..3. Central console, act as an on board display too and more info! of course, radio, CD, aux-in (jack inside arm rest)... bla bla bla.. whatever u set here is saved in the "key", slot in different key, u get different radio station saved.4. Central console, there's a cooler slot to keep a can of drink cool. Can turn off the cooling also if u choose to put in a hot drink.. Incredible! There's a ciggy lighter inside to power ur MP3 player and aux-in socket is inside too for u to play your iPOD or whatever! Cool!5. More than 8 buttons on the steering, minus the horn button... :D forget which is which lio..6. Engine: No engine oil dipstick, nice and big radiator expansion tank, hopefully it can last longer the E46 expansive tank. :D7. Auto rain sensor mode..8. Auto headlight mode..9. single tap/double tap of turn indicator modes.10. DTC, Dynamic Traction Control, 3 modes11. Sport mode, steptronic mode, Auto mode..That's 2 hours gone! and many more to cover and to remember.Its a skip of generation to me because I have skip the E46 gen. I have used the E36 before and now I suffer a knowledge gap. Its a new lesson to learn about cars altogether after being absent for so long.. :D lots of catching up to do.I hope other experience BMW owners can give me some guidance in preparing the car for a long term relationship apart from just running in the engine for 2k km.I don't expect the SA to guide me all the way because they themselve is not using one.TQ in advance!

with so much to learn, you may need a PHD to drive an E90..

So you finally got your ride.. congrat.. aiyaa just enjoy the ride first and figured the function later.. (so no oil dipstick....hee...hee...)

Don't worry it will all come back to you in due time...

If you can tell me how to set your aircond automatically to "Internal Circulation" instead of "Outside Air" mode everytime you start your car in the morning, I will give you a prize :burnout:

TQ all for here to guide me because now I really "lost and confused" :D and peanut, I promise I will look that up for u. :D

It can be a safety feature that the designer intentionally left out as a customisable setting to store in the key. There r 3 modes:

1. Internal Circulation.
2. Allow external fresh air.
3. Auto (auto switching between 1 and 2)

Was told by the SA not to worry about the Auto mode that we get awful smell from outside because the cabin filter will take care of the smell, allowing only fresh air to get in after removing the smell/odor.

How true dunno la.. of course, that will clog the cabin filter a lot faster. What is the cabin filter replacement interval? Should be part of the BRSI item la.. no worry!

I always set the aircond circulation to Auto, since it's supposed to switch between Internal and External air whenever it deems fit. I think the sensor will always give priority to External air, and only switch to Internal circulation when external air is not "healthy" for the cabin.

Oh and 1 more tip for astroboy: When the car is locked and you press the "Lock" button on the remote a couple of seconds later, the lights in the cabin and on the door handles will light up - making it easier for you to locate your car... :top:

happy driving your e90 around. its very very addictive. i drive it everyday and its still so much fun to drive that after you park you just wanna go in and drive away again!

guys, since i m a newbie too, can u guys tell the hidden nice features? thanks GHS for the trick, will test that out

Another trick is; u start your car. then u off it. take out your key, & re-start again...wallaa, u can drive your car without a key...hehehe....enjoy...

Hi Alex, this thread is meant for E90 newbies like us to learn more about our new baby. No worries, shoot whatever questions that's bugging u... I will benefit too ;)

I drove the car for the first time last night.. :D yes I bought the car without test drive.. :D :stupid:

First impression is the car very stiff and tight. U pedal, it really goes, u lift the pedal, it slow down like handbrake not released. Unlike Japanese car, u lift pedal, the car still gliding loose.

The brake is superb compare to a Camry, with only 20km on the odo, have not even run in the brake lining yet.

The steering is stiff (not heavy) but can feel a mild humming or vibration like holding to a spinning electric motor. I don't get this feeling in Japanese car. Is this normal? Like holding a mild vibrator.. :D

Just learn how to manually tilt the rear view mirror for anti glare feature last night, its actually by rotating the semi-spheric knob under the rear view mirror. The SA also didn't know when I asked him.

The manual also says there's a USB port in the arm rest, haven't got a chance to find out. Only saw an aux-in socket, a ciggy lighter and a can drink chiller in there.

Had problem activating my garage door remote control, can't wind down the window because of the freshly tinted window, so had to open the door to operate my main gate remotely. The manual says for those who have Climatic Friendly windshield option, the IR rejection coating will cause interference to remote control and SmartTag. But there's a provision for these as there's an upper section behind the rear view mirror where the IR coating is absence and its meant for operating such electronic remote control devices up there.

Not sure about this, will test it out.

Have not program the keys yet. Pampered with choices to set in.

And about the the question put forward by peanut, it seems that Internal Circulation mode is one of the personalised key settings as mentioned in the manual. Have not tried it though. There nothing much to do. Just use your key to start the car, operate the Internal Circulation button. DONE! the next time the same key is inserted, it should bring up the same mode. That's what the manual says la..

The manual also says that under Auto air circulation mode, there's a sensor to sense external air for foreign particles, once the foreign particle reaches "dirty" level, it will shut off the external vent and allow only internal circulation. It will continue to monitor the external air and once the air is "clean", the external vent to open again. Cool! but how do I know it the sensor still working or not? Talk ah? :D :stupid: (Sorry folks, cultural shocks!)

Hi Astro,

Yup it's always nice to discover things in your new car. Just cusrious, how come your rear view mirror comes with manual anti glare?

As for the Aircond recirculation, I heard that you need to go to the Svc center to reprog it to start in close mode. As for me, I tend to switch off my aircond each time I stop, so the start all I do is press the circulation button on the steering to turn on my aircond, that way it will be in close mode.

There is a USB port now? Good

Enjoy your drive.....

Don't know about the USB port yet, I think don't have but manual got states. Those with iDrive E90 will most like have this cause they can pick and scroll songs title on their iDrive display to operate their thumb drive. Mine no iDrive, so most likely don't have.

Manual Anti Glare. Confirm mine is manual. I turn the knob, it tilts and the auto sensor at the middle top section of the mirror is absence.

Just to share some photo of her taken prior delivery yesterday, road tax bearing 25/12/07, nice date huh.. :D I didn't know JPJ works on Christmas day:

e902.jpg

e901.jpg

Mine ada V-KOOL Elite, the High Lines series parked next to mine don't have tinting, notice the difference..
e903.jpg

Hi Astroboy, enjoy your new ride... but how come you have the Manual Anti Glare? it shld be auto ma... is urs HIGH LINE version?

Nope, the one park next is High Lines, RM6k extra for 4 extras, the nicer 17" rim, blacklines tail lights, chrome tail pipe and internal wood trim.

IMHO, the RM6k isn't worth it at all. becaouse i don't like wood trim and i like the type 158 rims. mine is like yours except yours has a nice number. haha.

manual anti glare? meaning like JDM cars gotta flip the switch under the rear view mirror?

2 questions:

1)how to activate the parking lights? (the left / right only)
2)how to activate / use the auto tilting left side (passenger side) when reversing.

Alex, I can only answer you ur 2nd question as for the 1st question I also haven't and lazy to figure out...

On ur driver side door panel, there's a left/right button for you to adjust ur side mirror. Just switch either left/right (Just try either 1 and switch ur gear to reverse) and ur passenger side mirrow will auto tilting aldy.

AlexNg;274231 said:
IMHO, the RM6k isn't worth it at all. becaouse i don't like wood trim and i like the type 158 rims. mine is like yours except yours has a nice number. haha.

manual anti glare? meaning like JDM cars gotta flip the switch under the rear view mirror?

2 questions:

1)how to activate the parking lights? (the left / right only)
2)how to activate / use the auto tilting left side (passenger side) when reversing.

BMW E90 got parking lights like in Mercs meh ??

if I'm not mistaken, I read it from the manual as welll but not sure it applies to all model or not. Mines is 320 only, not sure had this function or not, maybe the 325 owner can answer this....

Parking lights? Aiyoo... my CKD ex-E36 '92 manual also got oredi la. This is very old European technology lor. Dunno if its the same as E90 but if its the same, that means just activate your turning indicator before shut off the engine and removing the key. The blinking indicator will turn into parking light for the side where the indicator was triggered before turn off the keys. So u can choose left or right depending on how u park. Its the side facing the road that's commonly used.

Yes, I got it from Sg B.

Yes, the anti glare rear view mirror is just like the JDM flip. Mine is using rotating knob instead. Not auto.. :(

Auto side mirror tilting on reversing, cool! must try this. New to me!

Top Bottom