How long will the battery last?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

teraterabozu

Club Guest
Hai, i'm quite new here. Some of u can call me kak shida since i'm in my late 40.Bought this E60 532i, last jan 2008(brand new). Using the car almost daily to commute to work from Puchong to Cyberjaya and sometimes KL too. Just want to ask , how long will my battery last. KM now is about 47,000.Tq

Should be able to last for a couple of years since the battery is located at the rear boot compartment.

....wow 47.000 km for 2 year old car. U do travel a lot. You must be a good driver. Is it a maintenance free battery? Anyways there should be no problem with it for another year or two.

My Sister's E60 just change the battery a month before CNY 2010 and it has been like 6 years ? around 5 to 6 years !!! lasting !!

btw, i am Jack. Just registered as a member of BMW Club today...

:)

teraterabozu;493002 said:
... E60 532i, last jan 2008(brand new)...

:eek: :eek:

Our batteries, claimed to last 5 years.. it all depends on what's your energy consumption pattern are like..

Same question like having RM5k in your wallet, how long can it last u?! :eek:

We have many electric this and that so that the combustion engine output can be concentrated to the wheels i.e. electric water pump.. and sometime engine gets so hot after spirited drive and the engine coolant with radiator fan continue to operate despite key fob being pull out of dash.. which will deplete your battery and every such discharge cycle will shorten your battery life.. even nite driving often, cabin temperature set too cold etc would affect battery life.

bluepanther;493174 said:
....wow 47.000 km for 2 year old car. U do travel a lot. You must be a good driver. Is it a maintenance free battery? Anyways there should be no problem with it for another year or two.

:listen: my E60 is registered 2005 and to-date has done 232K+ ....:eek: and the battery ...had it changed once :top:
depending on how much of "cranking" you do during start-up and how good your alternator is, a battery life span should be at least 2 yrs, maybe a bit more. If you dont hv any alternator fitted, your battery will last abt 2 hrs, tops huhuhuhuhuhu ... ;):):):):)

:listen: btw, have you registered and self intro at the newbie section? ":):);)

Hi,
I just introduce myself under the Newbie today and found this interesting topic.

On the battery, maybe somebody can help me out on this : can we just replace the battery with any other brand, like other car, DIY, any battery can go? is there a requirement that the battery must meet certain specifications? I am new to this BM e60. Certainly worrying if replacing to a new battery will damage the electronics. Your kind help please!

hie guys,

BMW original battery usually last long, sumwhere abt 5-8 yrs after their manufacturing date depending on how u drive, start-stop, alternator charging capabilities, current consumptions etc (point as highlighted by astroboy). usually BMW recommend owners 2 replace it every 2 yrs to avoid problems on batteries. there r a few brands tht u can go for, but i always recommend to go for BMW original battery coz of warranty issues. BMW batteries r usually made by Varta.

On DIY changing the battery, yup u can do it but make sure u r at any wshops tht have a GT1 (BMW diagnostic machine) to cler the fault codes and register the battery after replacing them.

To check the manufacturing date of the battery (original BMW battery), look at the negative terminal of the battery. u can see 4 digit numbers. this represents d date of manufacturing of the battery. the top is d week number and botton is the year manufactured.

ohh, let say if u want 2 replace ur battery, make sure u change it with a battery tht have d same current abilities as recommended by BMW, usually represented in Ah ex 90Ah. if u want 2 change it for other battery with diffrent current ability, please make sure tht the GT1 is there and for some models u need to reprogram the vehicle

Happy DIY guys

Yes, u can put in a replacement battery of any other brand and make sure the voltage and amperage rating is similar.

However, DIY the battery replacement is the tricky part with these newer generation BMW. U need to register the battery with the "On Board Computer" a.k.a OBC failing to do this will ..... *forget what will happen.. :p

As mentioned by Oli above, u need to have a GT1 diagnostic tool which can cost a fraction of the car.. if that's the case, DIY is not possible then, without the GT1 at home.. :(

astroboy;496589 said:
However, DIY the battery replacement is the tricky part with these newer generation BMW. U need to register the battery with the "On Board Computer" a.k.a OBC failing to do this will ..... *forget what will happen.. :p

let me fill in tht 4 u astroboy. battery registration is basically is done as a record on how many times has d car changed battery. for newer models, u can also set the battery current capabilities (Ah) in it via GT1, which makes it easier for u 2 upgrade ur battery current capabilities. this is usually done 4 owners tht usually uses alot of batt power (upgraded sound sys, in-car entertainment, accesories, lightings etc). earlier model still needs d SSS to program d vehicle if u do change batteries with diffrent current capabilities.

so d answer for the blank above is, the car will get confuse with the main power supply and can cause

1) battery warning light ON due to low/high current load
2) battery to flat out/damage faster due to alternator charging is not suitable
3) current leak, ECU damage or high battery discharge might also happen but this is only on a very rare occasion
4) *car will go on power saving mode and degrading some of d car's sys ability(infotainment sys not func at 100%, A/C affected,idling speed increases) to work 100% well due to battery is undercharge. basically this will make ur UDM abit uncomfortable to drive w/o neglecting safety issues (DSC, AFS, LM, Airbag not affected)

* only applies for UDM with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS)

teraterabozu;493002 said:
Hai, i'm quite new here. Some of u can call me kak shida since i'm in my late 40.
Bought this E60 532i, last jan 2008(brand new). Using the car almost daily to commute to work from Puchong to Cyberjaya and sometimes KL too. Just want to ask , how long will my battery last. KM now is about 47,000.

Tq

At least 5 years :top:

There is a battery tester for any battery. The tester will discharged the battery and record the voltage as it discharged. based on the end result, it will tell you the health of the battery. No guessing work.

Top Bottom