HID 55W vs 35W

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
H7 compare with DS2.. 25mm vs 27mm for the focal length.. mmm....

h7comparewithd2s.gif

Jarance, thanks for the info, any different of focal length between H7 halogen vs H7 HID?

55w hid heat output vs stock headlight output

Since all are concern about heat output of 55W hid, just thought i would post that up for every one to see [video=youtube;zwbCo7Vbc5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbCo7Vbc5w[/video]

aangavatar;565076 said:
Since all are concern about heat output of 55W hid, just thought i would post that up for every one to see

The URL contained a malformed video ID la...

Interesting read from

http://lumenshid.com/ballast.html

pss..ssss.. 535i.. now you know why you hid bulb kaput so fast.

3) AC vs DC, 35W vs 55W Ballasts

Both types of ballasts take the DC power from vehicles and power the HID bulbs for light. The difference in these ballasts is in the type of electricity being outputted to the HID bulb. AC ballasts output AC power, while DC ballasts output DC power. With AC ballasts, you can expect longer life in both bulbs and ballasts. Aside from that, AC ballast systems are brighter than DC ballast systems. With competition becoming so fierce in this industry, many manufacturers have given into DC ballast technology in order to lower their prices. Unlike our competitors, we still insist on AC ballasts to ensure proper life span, and most importantly, maximum light output!

When discussions occur about maximum light output with regards to Xenon HID systems, 55W ballasts become the hot topic. 55W ballasts truly provide more light output for the drivers (about 40% more), but the trade offs are too large to make this product pratical. The largest downfall to this product is its short lifespan. Most 55W HID users will admit that they replace their bulbs at least once per year (some as quickly as each month).One of the main reasons it fails in such a short period is because the bulb itself 'burns' much hotter than a regular 35W HID bulb. This extra heat may cause issues for those with plastic lenses, projector lights, etc. Some people use the 55W ballasts to overcome the light out warning indicators on higher end vehicles, but this is not a guaranteed solution. In fact, most new vehicles with light out warning indicators will still produce error codes with 55W ballasts!

Yeap , you are right jarance, just bought a "H7 35 W HID" from a forum member for comparison purpose, your measurement is right but the 2mm focal different is very minimal, i have look at the D2S bulb i got, i should b able to compensate that by some minor adjustment, thanks again.

I intent to install the 55W HID using the original harness, but i believe the original fuse for the head lamp (7.5A I presume) need to be change too, probably to 15 A or 20A, can anyone help me to locate the fuse please, Thanks.

me been using hid since year 2001, during that year i bought hid one set about rm2000.....

was thinking of using 55w hid as well. as u all know, e39 hella projector not that good.

me, instead of using 55w hid, i threw away my e39 projector n replaced them with original proton waja projector plus standard 35w hid. now, much ,much better light output..........

eddiefiola;568575 said:
me been using hid since year 2001, during that year i bought hid one set about rm2000.....

was thinking of using 55w hid as well. as u all know, e39 hella projector not that good.

me, instead of using 55w hid, i threw away my e39 projector n replaced them with original proton waja projector plus standard 35w hid. now, much ,much better light output..........

Dr, u mod yourself kah?

bimmerholic;568652 said:
Jarance, are those LED projectors???

No lar, they are just the retrofit lens for your halogen or HID bulbs.

I have not try them or see them in action but one of the forummer mentioned his friend ride have fitted it when he went to Taiwan. he say it is canggih and he is thinking about it for his e39.

bmw7833, i retrofitted it myself.........

have tried e39 headlights (with n without angel eyes), with hid, not bright.......

sold my e39 headlights with d2s sockets to jyazid.....
sold my d2s philips bulbs to one of the forumers.....

have tried eagle eyes (taiwan) headlights, bright but light spread not nice......

retrofit toyota camry projectors, bright but i still prefer original (AL) waja projectors.......
still keep the camry projectors for future project if mood changes.........

as for the moment, e39 original headlights suck big time.......just like e46 steering feel, sucks big time........

easy, u guys want bright headlight, throw away the e39 projectors in the dustbin. find a car that u think has very bright light, then get the projectors n retrofit..........

A good suggestion but sure consume a lot of time. See which day i beh siok my headlight then i will retrofit the Waja projector.

bmw7833, to open the e39 headlights does not take a long time.

to retrofit takes a long time if the shape n dimension of other projectors are different.

but for waja, it's plug n play.........

if u are planning to retrofit, better if u have the steel/aluminium headlight adjusters......go n buy or make one urself.....

before u retrofit, it's better for u to see that particular car with hid in action at night. make sure u fully satisfied with the brightness, then u retrofit. otherwise, u'll regret later........

brightness is subjective matter. bright to me might not be bright to u........

after u retrofit, then u can plonk in any wattage hid that u want, 55w , 100w etc etc.......

as for me, i have waja, i installed hid in my waja n found it brighter than my e39. so, next possible cheapest step is to retrofit lah.......

eddiefiola, if you have any pics of your retrofitted projectors will be nice if you could share it with us.

Pretty tempting to go get a set of projectors for my ride.

1st test

I finally tested the HID at home, using size 7 (0.2mm) wire and a 5 ohm car fuse to connect the HID set from the battery, battery was fully charged.
FYI The HID I got is a 50W HID not 55W as i mentioned earlier, discover my mistake during testing.
I have purposely use small wire and fuse just to see if the wire will melt or the fuse will blow as many has suggested for using the 50w HID, I have tested for a total of 4 hours, in between I stop to have the battery charge.
AND I can't feel the heat generated from the small wire (by touching), so no way it is going to melt our car's wire which I believe should be at least size 25-30. The 5 ohm car fuse did not blow either.
The light is at least 30% brighter than the 35W I just bought (for comparison and may use for fog later).
AND the conclusion:
Comment that the 50W HID will melt the wire in the long run or it generated heat way beyond the 35 w / halogen light or how it will damage the LCM or fuse?, it's a MYTH!
I will start my project this week end and picture it for all to see.

Top Bottom