35W vs 55W HID conversion kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bmw7833;545083 said:
Jarance, can we use different brand of ballast in right and left?

Technically, I dont see any reason why you cannot use different brand for the ballast.

However, not all ballast are make the same way. So you might have some slight colour variation from the headlamp even though the same brand of HID bulb is used. You just have to pay attention to whether the ballast is "friendly" BMW headlamp. I have seen quite a number of forummer who retrofit HID and they end up with alarm on the dashboard. Some have to change the ballast to "CAN-free" circuit, some add capacitor, some add resistor and some add a combination of resistor and capacitor. There are also people who disable or reprogram their LCM (Light Control Module).

My advise is to ask the supplier to have try out first before purchase. I am not sure whether you can purchase only a spare ballast.

jarance;545081 said:
It not bracket. It is a adaptor for the bulb.

Nowadays most of the HID manufacturer provide various type of bulb. I have used HB4 HID for fog.
So NO need to use bracket or adaptor.

BTW, my fog is for E46 M-Sport.

Oh ya, i should call that as adaptor. BTW, if i want to change my headlamp from ori halogen bulb to HID which brand HID suite E39 the best? do we need to look for some specific brand or just look for HB4 type will do? do we still need to add extra stuff ?

thanks

sewell;545187 said:
Oh ya, i should call that as adaptor. BTW, if i want to change my headlamp from ori halogen bulb to HID which brand HID suite E39 the best? do we need to look for some specific brand or just look for HB4 type will do? do we still need to add extra stuff ?

thanks

There are so many brands out there. Check with bmw7833. He has retrofit his E39. Learn from his mistake and experience. What to avoid and what to do.

I have only retrofit my Fog lamp which does not have a circuit checkerand no issue there. My headlamp is original HID so I do not have first hand experience in retrofitting it.

When u purchase a HID conversion kit, will u consider the brand? For me, NO. As i believe, 90% [if no 100%] of the kit is make from China now. The seller only rebadge with their own brand. If u want to talk about branded HID, Philips is the one of the famous. The real Philips product may cost u more than 1K.

Jarance, i have no experience with HB4 bulb on e39 headlight. Anyway i guess they are all the same work to retrofit into the headlight.

bmw7833;545209 said:
When u purchase a HID conversion kit, will u consider the brand? For me, NO. As i believe, 90% [if no 100%] of the kit is make from China now. The seller only rebadge with their own brand. If u want to talk about branded HID, Philips is the one of the famous. The real Philips product may cost u more than 1K.

Jarance, i have no experience with HB4 bulb on e39 headlight. Anyway i guess they are all the same work to retrofit into the headlight.

HB4 is design for E46 Fog lamp. They are not meant for E39 which used H7 bulb. For E46, H7 bulb is also use there.

Sewell, if you bulb is HB4, you have got the wrong bulb for E39. When I first bought my HID, the supplier gave me H7 HID thinking I want I to retrofit my headlight. He was willing to exchange the HID bulb when I found that the H7 does not fit HB4 holder.

So get the proper bulb.

heard there is hid angel eyes in the USA? anyone here tried it before?

AC525;545344 said:

Why would anyone want HID angel eye? SMD LED angel is PNP and also use low voltage and is as bright as CCFL (if not brighter). No problem to store the extra ballast or inverter.

Cos hid are supposed to be much brighter than led? N works great as drl

AC525;545344 said:

U might consider AIB v3 HID angel eye. They offer shipping service to Msia.

How much is aib? Heard there is another brand called nova or something from germany?

My HID bulbs comes standard wit the HID system, and i want to replace them to white (5000K and above) and hopefully brighter.
Also need to change the angel eyes, currently standard at 4300K color.

Anyone purchased other brands locally ?Price ? I dont want to go back to the same shop who installed my HID, want to try others. Appreciate advise.

champion;549625 said:
My HID bulbs comes standard wit the HID system, and i want to replace them to white (5000K and above) and hopefully brighter.
Also need to change the angel eyes, currently standard at 4300K color.

Anyone purchased other brands locally ?Price ? I dont want to go back to the same shop who installed my HID, want to try others. Appreciate advise.

Champ,

My HID is 6000k and perhaps you may want to go to WRC at Sunway (03) 5634-2201. They open from 11 am till 6 pm.

Hi. Just wondering if the dim headlights issue can be solved by restoring the clarity of the material in front. Mine's original. Not bright enough when driving at night but if I were to look at the headlights, they seem very bright. So, I'm thinking if the light is not being channeled properly. Have seen 2 products for clearing up the headlight. One by Turtle Wax costing about RM90. The other one by Abro costing RM20 plus. Anybody tried them before? I'd want to try them first before considering HID.

ALIAS;561784 said:
Hi. Just wondering if the dim headlights issue can be solved by restoring the clarity of the material in front. Mine's original. Not bright enough when driving at night but if I were to look at the headlights, they seem very bright. So, I'm thinking if the light is not being channeled properly. Have seen 2 products for clearing up the headlight. One by Turtle Wax costing about RM90. The other one by Abro costing RM20 plus. Anybody tried them before? I'd want to try them first before considering HID.

Check the headlight adjuster 1st. Try to hold the back and shake, if is is movable, then the adjuster is broken. The broken adjuster will cause u feel dim to drive at night.

Top Bottom