HID 55W vs 35W

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

aangavatar

Club Guest
Dear Sifu,I am thinking of upgrading my E39 lighting to HID, the ori is like torch light, just not bright enough, anyone has try the 55W HID? it is a lot more brighter than the 35W HID? i know it is more expensive but if it is brighter it is worth the $, for the effort i might as well go for the brighter one.

I have check the forum but opps, i just order 1 from ebay. guess i have no choice but to try now, expecting delivery after raya. I am surprise, i thought Halogen bulb is hotter than HID and both have the same rating of 55W, how can the wire melt? i am surprise that HID is hotter!

U plan to install for your headlight, right? Let me know what is the outcome, thanks.

just got this reply from the supplier who relied:
"Too hot to burn the plastic", this is impossible, abnormal.

Our xenon lamps are made of quartz, heat-resistance temperature of quartz is higher than 1,500 ℃, but the highest temperature of center point of 55W xenon lamps is 580~620 ℃, 35W xenon lamps is about 550~600℃, please rest assured to use.

Though some xenon lamps in market have very short life span, it's because of bad sealing technique of which rare gas leak easily, lamps turn darker gradually until complete dark.

bulb base is made of plastic, which can resist temperature as high as 280℃, its work temperature is less than 200℃.

So it won't be any problem.

I am feeling a bit of relief......heat doesn't seems to be a lot different from the 35W, whatever it is....i have no choice already...

but your E39 headlamp is not an original HID. How sure are your that your head lamp is made from quartz and withstand the 620 degC.

Even though the housing can withstand the high temperature. Can the silver coating can withstand the temperature.

The picture below show the silver coating is burnt.
IMG_1547.jpg

Oh, what the supplier meant is their HID bulbs are made of quartz as i only order the HID kit not the headlamp, he probably misunderstood my question, but as the reply says "highest temperature of center point of 55W xenon lamps is 580~620 ℃, 35W xenon lamps is about 550~600℃, please rest assured to use." i am a bit relief..........I intend to do some test to find out the power rating and the heat to satisfy my curiosity.
My fren bought a 35w HID kit from 1 forum member months ago and got it installed, it s a good kit and yes brighter than Halogen but still I think it is not bright enough. Maybe my fren can let me do a test on his 35W HID vs my 55W HID, then we will know for sure.

aangavatar;560710 said:
Oh, what the supplier meant is their HID bulbs are made of quartz as i only order the HID kit not the headlamp, he probably misunderstood my question, but as the reply says "highest temperature of center point of 55W xenon lamps is 580~620 ℃, 35W xenon lamps is about 550~600℃, please rest assured to use." i am a bit relief..........I intend to do some test to find out the power rating and the heat to satisfy my curiosity.
My fren bought a 35w HID kit from 1 forum member months ago and got it installed, it s a good kit and yes brighter than Halogen but still I think it is not bright enough. Maybe my fren can let me do a test on his 35W HID vs my 55W HID, then we will know for sure.

what type of bulb type is your 35w HID. It is H7 type for your e46?

bmw7833;560730 said:
e39 use H7 for headlight, bro.

thanks. Just want to confirm that his HID bulb is H7.. because I think he might be using the wrong bulb or the silver coating of internal reflector is dirty.

For your reference:

55W 5000K low beams
35W 5000K fog lights

DSC_2459.jpg

DSC_2461.jpg

Fogs only:
DSC_2462.jpg

Low beams only:
DSC_2463.jpg

I know e39 use h7 bulb & the internal reflector or lens is not dirty, 35w hid in fren car is ok but I need a brighter light for my car. 7833, the pic u show is taken fr d Internet or your car?

aangavatar;561454 said:
I know e39 use h7 bulb & the internal reflector or lens is not dirty, 35w hid in fren car is ok but I need a brighter light for my car. 7833, the pic u show is taken fr d Internet or your car?

Copy the pic from net.

55W HID kit

Just received the delivery...but i forgot to order the bulb adaptor:motz:...probably will have to modify the existing bulb adaptor to use the D2S bulb, i have intentionally order the D2S bulb thinking it will look nicer.
Anyone know where i can buy the bulb adaptor?
I can't wait to see the result of this 55W hid but the project has to wait as I will be outstation for the next 2 weeks, will update all when i come back

aangavatar;564056 said:
Just received the delivery...but i forgot to order the bulb adaptor:motz:...probably will have to modify the existing bulb adaptor to use the D2S bulb, i have intentionally order the D2S bulb thinking it will look nicer.
Anyone know where i can buy the bulb adaptor?
I can't wait to see the result of this 55W hid but the project has to wait as I will be outstation for the next 2 weeks, will update all when i come back

faster do it and let me know all the souce where it come from. i am waiting to upgrade mine to HID

Hi all,

I read from the owner's manual that E39's low beam is 55w xenons. May I know whether you guys are having the 35w or 55w ones? Please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Cheers,
Neoh

neohkw, based on the comment here, i believe most are using 35W HID but I being a few who are not satisfied with the brightness of 35W HID is changing to 55W HID, hence reason why i start this thread, to get more comment and advice, wait for my project to complete & we will know for sure.

Top Bottom