Headlights on our E90s

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ennui78

Club Guest
Hi there,Does anyone notice that our lights move up and down when you start the car. Just noticed it the other night.And when on a bumpy road or when going up/down the car park ramps, the beams cast a light that seem to jiggle or shudder a bit. Please tell me this is normal. I'm driving a 320i with no Adaptive Lighting:22:Someone also mentioned that the 'throw' of the lights vary according to speed. Is this true?Many thanks to any of you guys and girls who may be able to shed some light(no pun intended) on this issue.Eric

the up n down i din notice, but my other ride has it
its to align the lamp

Hi Eric...

I just went through the BMW website about the 3 series.

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newvehicles/3series/sedan/2008/allfacts/ergonomics_headlight_beam.html

I think when you mentioned that the lights moved up and down, they were merely adjusting the height of the light.

I've read it in a magazine that the lights do "shake" on bumpy roads...

and yes, you are correct too...quote from BMW website "..the headlights of the BMW 3 series sedan are controlled based on speed. When driving in the city, they are automatically reduced to provide optimal illumination of the road directly ahead and to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. At higher speeds, the headlights are raised for a clearer view of the road ahead."

If they can move up and down, does that give hope to the possibility of 'Adaptive Lights' that swing left and right after say, a software upgrade?

Heheh...will ask AB this Friday when I send my car in for them to fix up some squeaky, creaky windows.

Tilt up/down is leveling sensor, tilt left and right is steering sensor.. don't think we can support it by mere software upgrade...

sigh.......did you know. The first night I got my beemer, :sleep:I actually dreamt I was driving and the car had adaptive lights. :20:

Guys,

Is it normal to have the lights beam to be at different length between left and right?

I noticed the driver side light beams at a shorter throw compare to the passenger side.

Do let me know if you guys unit is at the same situation as mine. It is kinda weird to drive at night when the passenger side light was showing further out, while the driver side is shorter...

Hmmnn.. what was your previous car? :confused:

What u are seeing is common for all RHD cars. Left headlight need to illuminate the road shoulder for pedestrian and thus since no opposite vehicle on the left hand side, the left headlight is designed to shoot further. While right headlights shoot lower to avoid glaring the on coming traffic. All RHD cars are like that, be it European or Japanese or even Proton.

astroboy,

You are right, I guess my older car did not show the obvious lighting length between left and right....Only when our Bimmmer XENON lights, enlightened me! Thanks bro..

... so if u wish to convert a LHD to RHD, make sure your replace with a matching headlights as well.. :D

The effect is not limited to Xenon or HID but even conventional halogen headlights are designed with the same feature.

Aim your headlights to the wall and you will notice the following pattern.. It's not actually left light aim higher but its actually the beam throw design of the lamp assembly.

\____ \____

If Benjovi's left is higher beam than right, it's also possible that his leveling system is out on either side. Drive up to a wall and switch on your lights, Benjovi. You can see clearly then whether one is higher than the other, or whether it's just the lighting pattern. Also try your high beam.

Yes, our HID is operated with a ballast and a headlight controller module which some experienced problem with high beam and need to change control module. Do occasionally use your high beam, just to make sure your controller still work. Otherwise, claim warranty with no delay, it will be costly after warranty ends after 24 months or 60k km, whichever comes first. The headlight controller is not covered by the 3 years BSRI plan.

king82;476404 said:
and yes, you are correct too...quote from BMW website "..the headlights of the BMW 3 series sedan are controlled based on speed. When driving in the city, they are automatically reduced to provide optimal illumination of the road directly ahead and to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. At higher speeds, the headlights are raised for a clearer view of the road ahead."

I don't seem to notice this on my car. It seems like the same whether I drive at slower city speeds or at faster highway speeds. I wonder if it's just me or do others here feel the same?

Ennui78;476780 said:
If they can move up and down, does that give hope to the possibility of 'Adaptive Lights' that swing left and right after say, a software upgrade?
astroboy;476888 said:
Tilt up/down is leveling sensor, tilt left and right is steering sensor.. don't think we can support it by mere software upgrade...

Left & Right swing requires Adaptive Headlights. It requires replacing your headlights with a separate headlight module. It works best on dark windy roads like going up to Cameron Highlands on the Simpang Pulai road at night :top:

Schwepps;479291 said:
If Benjovi's left is higher beam than right, it's also possible that his leveling system is out on either side. Drive up to a wall and switch on your lights, Benjovi. You can see clearly then whether one is higher than the other, or whether it's just the lighting pattern. Also try your high beam.

Schepps,

Good advice bro! Will do it right away when I get back home next month.

Why have to wait until you get back home? :) The alternative way is to just get someone to operate your lights while you stand in front of the car. The headlights should swivel up equally on both sides. If the right one doesn't swivel up, you know the actuator is faulty. Takes 5 secs to check.

The swivel can be controlled via a dial on the left hand side of the headlight switch. Same as e46 dial, it's numbered 0 1 2 3 . Rotate it and the light swivels up or down accordingly.

Opss sorry. I saw it in the user manual but it's not offered in the car. Perhaps it's an optional item not offered here anymore. Wonder why e46 even basic model has it but gone in e90.

Another optional feature missing is activating car alarm by pressing and hold the car boot button on the remote. Anyone know if this can be enabled at A.B.? It's just a few lines of firmware.

viewfinder;490717 said:
Opss sorry. I saw it in the user manual but it's not offered in the car. Perhaps it's an optional item not offered here anymore. Wonder why e46 even basic model has it but gone in e90.

Another optional feature missing is activating car alarm by pressing and hold the car boot button on the remote. Anyone know if this can be enabled at A.B.? It's just a few lines of firmware.

1. We have auto level sensor, so the manual adjustment dial is no longer needed. If yours has a manual headlight level dial, that only means your car no auto headlight level mechanism.

2. Alarm? Our CKD E90 doesn't come with alarm. Only immobilizer to immobilizer the ECU from activating the engine and a remote that unlock and lock doors, plus release boot lid, that's all. Break our window, force our door open, no alarm no siren.. our car is dumb!.. :D

Top Bottom