Garmin Nuvi GPS

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i thought everyone here got canggih phone already?

i used the garmin in Ney York few years ago and it was great. But now all phones got the gps built it. Although they use google maps, after you use it a few times you'll get used to that interface.

the HTC also got garmin software for it and it works just like the set top box version.

I prefer my all in one iphone. it works everywhere.

a dedicated GPS device allows you to add local stuff like POI (point of interests), short cuts, etc. Anyone can help? I found that my device shuts off if it is in certain areas only. Must be corrupted map.... or maybe I need to upgrade the internal GPS software.

The follwoing is from my earlier posting.

I have a Garmin 200W running Malsing maps, a Navman F120 running Navman UK/Europe map and an HTC HD running Garmin Mobile/Malsing Maps, Mapking/Malsing maps and Google Maps. My misus has a HTC Diamond running Mapking then Garmin mobile. I had an HTC Cruise again running both Garmin Mobile and Mapking. My son has a Nokia N95 with GPS.

I think the first issue to be dealth with is whether a dedicated Sat Nav unit or a multi-purpose device like a Phone/PDA with a built-in GPS.

My view is that if you drive whilst searching for an unfimiliar location, use a Sat Nav. It is purpose built, it reacts faster, more accurate in positioning, and the controls are made simpler. Your navigation will not be disturbed by an incoming call like a phone. The screen is larger - I need this (old man eyes).

I find that the Phone/PDA screens are generally too small, the verbal instructions have to go thru the phone speaker which is usually too weak and I find them all too slow i.e. the instruction only comes out when you have already reached the turn. I use my PDA GPS when I am a little familiar with the area and only need the detailed location search. Sorry but the N95 is the worst of all three devices and my son gave up with it and always takes my Garmin Sat Nav instead. The nav functions are interrupted when there's an in-coming call. Using the Sat Nav function on a PDA/Mobile phone is a sure way of draining your battery real quick. It is even faster than activating the wireless network function.

I have always believed that you dont buy a swiss army knife to cut vegetables. The convergence device without compromises is still not here.

The second issue to consider is the software. I removed Mapking from my PDA because it is too complicated to use. I find the simplicity of Garmin the best. Garmin voice instructions are very good and I recommend it for driving. The Navman interface is very similar to the Garmin.

I'm a regular world traveller, if I just wanted to find location or I'm on foot in a part of the world where I dont have a map, I use google maps. It is great. But I will not use use it whilst driving and I do not recommend it. Google maps will only guarantee accuracy within 50m.

The third issue is maps. Maps sold by the GPS maker are just too expensive. Some have more details than others and some are updated more often than others. For me the free malsing map for Malaysia is excellent until they locked it and I just dont bother contributing just to get the unlock keys.

Any of my old friend who are going on a driving holiday in UK/Europe are welcome to "rent" my Navman.

Cheers

affan66;391645 said:
i'm having some power-down issues with my 205W upon satellite locking. Both happened using malfree and malsing maps.. anyone can help?

akuadam your PM mailbox is full.

Hey bro Im sorry. I have cleared my inbox already..So many request hehe...

Did you combined both maps ? Try to use only 1 map at a time and also try to use web updater to update the latest firmware. PM me if u need more helps.

saat;391988 said:
The follwoing is from my earlier posting.

I have a Garmin 200W running Malsing maps, a Navman F120 running Navman UK/Europe map and an HTC HD running Garmin Mobile/Malsing Maps, Mapking/Malsing maps and Google Maps. My misus has a HTC Diamond running Mapking then Garmin mobile. I had an HTC Cruise again running both Garmin Mobile and Mapking. My son has a Nokia N95 with GPS.

I think the first issue to be dealth with is whether a dedicated Sat Nav unit or a multi-purpose device like a Phone/PDA with a built-in GPS.

My view is that if you drive whilst searching for an unfimiliar location, use a Sat Nav. It is purpose built, it reacts faster, more accurate in positioning, and the controls are made simpler. Your navigation will not be disturbed by an incoming call like a phone. The screen is larger - I need this (old man eyes).

I find that the Phone/PDA screens are generally too small, the verbal instructions have to go thru the phone speaker which is usually too weak and I find them all too slow i.e. the instruction only comes out when you have already reached the turn. I use my PDA GPS when I am a little familiar with the area and only need the detailed location search. Sorry but the N95 is the worst of all three devices and my son gave up with it and always takes my Garmin Sat Nav instead. The nav functions are interrupted when there's an in-coming call. Using the Sat Nav function on a PDA/Mobile phone is a sure way of draining your battery real quick. It is even faster than activating the wireless network function.

I have always believed that you dont buy a swiss army knife to cut vegetables. The convergence device without compromises is still not here.

The second issue to consider is the software. I removed Mapking from my PDA because it is too complicated to use. I find the simplicity of Garmin the best. Garmin voice instructions are very good and I recommend it for driving. The Navman interface is very similar to the Garmin.

I'm a regular world traveller, if I just wanted to find location or I'm on foot in a part of the world where I dont have a map, I use google maps. It is great. But I will not use use it whilst driving and I do not recommend it. Google maps will only guarantee accuracy within 50m.

The third issue is maps. Maps sold by the GPS maker are just too expensive. Some have more details than others and some are updated more often than others. For me the free malsing map for Malaysia is excellent until they locked it and I just dont bother contributing just to get the unlock keys.

Any of my old friend who are going on a driving holiday in UK/Europe are welcome to "rent" my Navman.

Cheers

Well said bro !! Cheers :top:

nope. I transferred the old map out of the garmin folder on my SD card and then put in the new one in that folder

In certain areas, the map works fine. in other areas, the device just shuts down. :(

affan66;392343 said:
nope. I transferred the old map out of the garmin folder on my SD card and then put in the new one in that folder

In certain areas, the map works fine. in other areas, the device just shuts down. :(

Bro, call me when u free. Maybe we can meet up. Let me check it.

akuadam;392452 said:
Its RM950 bro. Comes with Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia and USA maps. :top:

Is that a garmin map and I read on your website, updates are free?

akuadam;392476 said:
Its Malsingmaps or Malfreemaps. Yes u can update it for free.

VIEW IT HERE

Thanks.

I just downloaded malfreemap and installed in in the place of malsing map. Malfreemaps is much better in terms of details and more uptodate than my last update from malsingmaps. And I can now do address search.

I have to thank Anthony Yong for this.

saat;392528 said:
Thanks.

I just downloaded malfreemap and installed in in the place of malsing map. Malfreemaps is much better in terms of details and more uptodate than my last update from malsingmaps. And I can now do address search.

I have to thank Anthony Yong for this.

Glad to hear that bro..Anytime you looking to buy Garmin devices come back to me anytime ya :party:

can't seem to post and send PM. says security token missing.
akuadam, PM me your num, please. thanks.

how to combine MFM and MSM?can it be done?i install MFM on my SD, n my nuvi preoaded with MSM.

BJM7978;392612 said:
how to combine MFM and MSM?can it be done?i install MFM on my SD, n my nuvi preoaded with MSP.

I dont feel the need to combine the map cos MFM Peninsula Malaysia and Singapore maps is sufficient for me.

I have only combined maps twice and only manage to make it work once using a third party software. The first attempt I used Garmin's mapsource and failed. You will find a map merger for Garmin in the MFM website.

I beleive you cannot combine MFM (which containes peninsula malaysia and singapore map) and MSM peninsula malaysia maps. This is because of some incompatibility of the state borders. But you can combine MFM peninsula malaysia map with MSM borneo maps.

BTW what is MSP

saat, teach me how to download n install MFM to my nuvi..tried many times,seems doest menjadi..or can u email me the map,so that i just cut n paste to my sd..hehehhehe...Pm u my email.

akuadam,where is ur place..want to meet u lah regarding the map..hehehe..me noob in nuvi,u must teach me..

find the MFM and download to your PC. unzip that file. create a folder called garmin in your SD card. If there is already a file in there, move that file to another location outside of the garmin folder. Then copy the file gmapsupp.img into that folder.

put the SD card into your GPS. then switch on the power and go to settings. Then go to map -> map info. You will see a list of maps. Select the top two in the list and unselect the rest, if they were selected in the first place.

Try it out. This worked for me until recently but I believe it has something to do with the map itself or my device.

Top Bottom