Gps

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Mio 510 or something...with mp3, bluetooth etc...all the functions of the Nuvi 600 series...only going for less than RM1,600.... not bad...

Apparently not all Nuvi 200's are created equal, some of them have different GPS chips from different OEMs and don't work with Vkool. I was told there are different chips being supplied for the Nuvi 200. The ones with S3 chips are the ones to get from what I was told.

Found a link which references the different chips used on the Nuvi 200 and which one to get :) .

Just wanted to add that some Garmin units will come with a mini MCX connector which allows you to add a compact external GPS patch antenna which should vastly improve reception and reduce canyoning effects in city/built-up areas.

---

I just tried my collegues Garmin Nuvi 310 which he has kindly loaned me for a couple of days to try out. It has a flip up antenna and the initial lock to the 4 satelites took ~5 mins as I was driving (Vkool tinted). Usually it takes less than a minute according to him, but it was raining, cloudy and we were moving. Once its locked, it picks up the signal quickly even after lunch once we drove off from the basement car park, it was only a matter of seconds before the unit found the satellites. The lock process will be required again, once the orbits of the satellites change (usually each day).

Beyond that, the unit is marvelous, and the mounting bracket to the windscreen is nice and tight, no rattles and it looks good as well. Easy to navigate, and from what he said, the malsing maps installed on the unit is the one to have for Malaysia and Singapore and its much more complete than even what BMW Malaysia is offering on the GPS Navigation DVDs. Also Garmin is the most user friendly unit there, very well thought out.

So far, my take is that the Garmin Nuvi unit is a really nice unit. If only the price drops a bit more... lol

MIO 510E offer the same pwerformance as Garmin and it run on the popular MAPKING 2007..

RM980 is what I was quoated last..

I agree that Garmin produce some of the best performing GPS systems that are easy to use.

For those of you already using a Palm or Pocket PC pda, it may be worth checking out TomTom Navigator software which will turn your pda or smartphone into an equivalent GPS navigation device. I'm not sure if MY/SG maps are available for TomTom yet, but using TomTom on a PDA with a tiny external Sirf-3 GPS receiver (over bluetooth) has become extremely convenient (anytime-anywhere basis) that my Garmin always remains at home now.

Edit: My point being that I found this combination to be cheaper and more convenient, plus doesn't tie-down to custom hardware for future update/upgrade.

---

geoffreylee;239941 said:
MIO 510E offer the same pwerformance as Garmin and it run on the popular MAPKING 2007..

RM980 is what I was quoated last..

The Nuvi 200 is going for RM1099 promotional price, which is very good for a local unit (non parallel import). However, for this promo, the Nuvi 200 stock is based on the MTK chipset and not the Sirf-3. The reseller will let me know once she gets a new batch of Nuvi 200's with the Sirf-3 chipsets in. It's supposed to work better with Vkool tinted cars.

SIRF3 chipset is on the MIO 510E and it is superb!

NUVI 200 for only RM1099 is a steal!!! Cheap wei!!

geoffreylee;239971 said:
SIRF3 chipset is on the MIO 510E and it is superb!

NUVI 200 for only RM1099 is a steal!!! Cheap wei!!

I was advised by a couple of GPS hobbyist to stay away from the MIO... and get the Garmin instead... Personally I can't comment as I've never used the MIO.

You can contact Joanne to pick up the Gamin Nuvi 200 for Rm1099. If the club is planning for some special promo group buy for official members, can see what she can do for the BMW Club as well hehe. Last I spoke to her she has 3 units left in stock of the Nuvi 200s.

bro, what is joanne's contact number. RM1,099 is damn cheap. i bought the Nuvi200 3 days ago for RM1,400.

clint;240112 said:
bro, what is joanne's contact number. RM1,099 is damn cheap. i bought the Nuvi200 3 days ago for RM1,400.

Her contact is: 012-7062495 or you can click on the link (her name in bold) in my posting above to find out more details of the promo.

E46Fanatic;240115 said:
Her contact is: 012-7062495 or you can click on the link (her name in bold) in my posting above to find out more details of the promo.

wat's weird was I was made to understand that the shop in question had discontinued the sale of the Nuvi200... that they were only doing the high end Nuvis... no Nuvi200 available when I was there 2 weeks ago.:43:

You are right. The shop downstairs at Digital Mall don't carry the 200's. Also his prices are standard retail, and it ain't a good bargain if you ask me. You'll have to call Joanne who doesn't work in the shop there to get the discounted prices.

the card I got from her (Joanne Chin) is the shop at the ground floor and her phone number is 012-709 2495. Unless there's been some recent changes....?

Donno man, thats what she told me. Have you spoken to her? I went to the shop downstairs before and it was manned by a dude who refused to budge on high markup prices for the Nuvi....and wasn't interested to sell the Nuvi 200 (he asked me to go to Low Yatt to buy it). Hence I asked her the same question and she told me she's on her own and not selling the units through the shop.

I just picked up my Sirf based Nuvi 200 and am glad I didn't opt to go with the more pricey Nuvi 310 which I was test driving recently. Does all I need and its easier to use (less functions) and more importantly save some $$$.

No problems with VKool and gets the satellite lock pretty quickly.

Two thumbs up!

Top Bottom