F30 Msport with 19" rims?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Bigger rims looks nicer, sportier and has better handling in the sense that lesser rubber means u can feel more of the road surface on your steering, in a way gives better road feedback to the driver.However, given the same impact on a particular pothole vs 18 or smaller rims, 19 is definitely much easier to dent, crack or even burst the tyres...tyres will cost much more, and thread life is much shorter....Plus if your upsize your rims, u need to upsize your brake rotors n calipers as well, because bigger rims plus small brake rotors looks...weird for me at least... so money is again involved...
On the contrary, smaller rims looks less sportier, cost cheaper and tyres are cheaper and last longer too...they are in fact making the car faster in acceleration...and slighter better FC...however going too small will make the car looks weird and cannot clear bigger brake calipers...there will be more flex when u corner, unless u change to tyres with stiffer side walls or RFT...
For track performance, u will be surprised coz I have a friend who was an ex racer, told me that most track cars like Porsche use onli 17 inch rims to race...lol
There something I need to share from my limited knowledge...

Aku ade bmw lori ko ade?

Rattlesnake.. same question to u bro.. how does smaller wheels make the car to hav better FC, and oso go faster?

Surprisingly, 18 inch rims provide better lateral grip compared to 19 inch for that golf...so there's a limit to everything it seems

Aku ade bmw lori ko ade?

rattlesnake1982;839677 said:
The is a nice article from car and driver written bout comparing rim sizes and it's effects on a VW golf, here's the links

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Thanks bro. Nicely written but.. a rather lazy writer. Of course if the unsprung weight is increased (in whatever way), FC and acceleration performance will suffer la. The experiment was too simplistic to be meaningful.

Luckily the guys in M Division are not as lazy. The forged 20" 405M each is about 2.5 lb lighter than the stock alloy 18" 397.

Well of course if you compare with a forged wheel will be different story la...But then if you forged both wheels, say a 19 inch vs an 18, its back to square one...18 is lighter again lolz....
That article is based on normal rims...simple experiment and logical.

Btw, as u said bro M, a wheel lighter by about 1.1kg, total weight lighter about 4.4kg overall, but at what cost BMW is charging?
:stupid::listen: more than 15k at least I presumed? plus tyres
but then again I am kiam siap
cabutzz....:vroam:

rattlesnake1982;839699 said:
Well of course if you compare with a forged wheel will be different story la...But then if you forged both wheels, say a 19 inch vs an 18, its back to square one...18 is lighter again lolz....
That article is based on normal rims...simple experiment and logical.

Btw, as u said bro M, a wheel lighter by about 1.1kg, total weight lighter about 4.4kg overall, but at what cost BMW is charging?
:stupid::listen: more than 15k at least I presumed? plus tyres
but then again I am kiam siap
cabutzz....:vroam:

Ayyaa.. no money no MC la.. :p

We r talking about upgrading from stock wheels which are not forged. To say goin bigger means heavier thus detrimental to performance is misleading. Just need to qualify abit la.. :)

I plan to upgrade my F30 328i sportline rim and my original 397 18~ rims with RFT tyres for sale.
Any body interested, please PM me.
Thank you

I just got my msport installed 19". Just be focus when driving to avoid pothole like every1 does. comfortwise I would say indifferent as I have ditched the RFT and handling is better as a lot more rubber on the road... of coz I guess I have to compromise a lil on the performance tho I cant really tell the diff
molasses917;838234 said:
Hi All

I'm getting the 320d msport with m sport passive suspension setup, am considering upgrading to 19" rims. Can anyone share any feedback/experience running on 19" (from 18") with our Malaysian roads (I drive around klang valley), how much difference it made on the ride? I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for good looks and handling but I do drive a lot and don't want to end up with a bone-jarring ride (or pothole damaged rims) :)

appreciate any experience shared

Hi any brothers face difficulty getting air into sportsline 18 inch rim with rft. Apparently the rim makes it difficult to get the air pump in as it keeps escaping due to rim design

gccf;841048 said:
I just got my msport installed 19". Just be focus when driving to avoid pothole like every1 does. comfortwise I would say indifferent as I have ditched the RFT and handling is better as a lot more rubber on the road... of coz I guess I have to compromise a lil on the performance tho I cant really tell the diff

hi, what tires did you get? I plan to ditch the RFTs too

mind posting a pic of your new 19" wheels? I'm looking for ideas for mine :)

bro gccf, seem you have similar one as this...............very nice

attachment.php

charcoal;841249 said:
bro gccf, seem you have similar one as this...............very nice

attachment.php

Sweeeeeeeet........... tat s 20" + lower :love::love:. was thinking 20" but having considered da road condition in kl... I gave up.... my concern might means little. anywayzzz...

thanks for appreciating but mine definitely not as stunning as tat...

Top Bottom