Engine Oil Top Up Issue

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hclai

Club Guest
Ya, i know it has been discuss so many times, cant really find the answer that i look for, so post a new threat again. i drive a E46 04 lifestyle(N46B20), the last service is about 78k and now is 81k and the engine light is on to prompt you for engine oil top up. which i think is impossible, i m using Mobil One Fully Syn 4litre, and i never rev the car to Redzone,how many of you toping ur engine oil at 3k interval , is this consider normal for E46 i mean, would like to know those that is using the (N46B20) engine, are u guys doing the same. My normal cruise is puchong,(LDP) damansara, shah alam, pj area and sometimes maybe KL. Beside that, if go on highway outstation(lets say from here to penang) , will the engine oil burn faster lets say cruised at about average around 110km-130km, on off maybe touching 160km and come down again along the whole journey.If idling car will burn the engine oil as well? like sent wife to pasar, cannot find car park, just look for elsewhere and illegal park then wait inside the car for probally like 40 minutes. Or wait for ppl go tapao food for like 10 minutes, things like this, u know...sometimes 10-15 minutes wait , sometimes 30-40 minutes wait with car engine on of course.Hope to get some feedback and answer on my question. Thank youBy the way i m at oversea now, ask here to find out the answer cos wife is currently driving my UDM and phone me engine light is on with yellow warning light.

a collegue of mine with a 4 cylinder needs to top up a pint every 3k to 4k kms. so does my 6 pot, but becoz got leak la...

hclai;452490 said:
Ya, i know it has been discuss so many times, cant really find the answer that i look for, so post a new threat again. i drive a E46 04 lifestyle(N46B20), the last service is about 78k and now is 81k and the engine light is on to prompt you for engine oil top up. which i think is impossible, i m using Mobil One Fully Syn 4litre, and i never rev the car to Redzone,how many of you toping ur engine oil at 3k interval , is this consider normal for E46 i mean, would like to know those that is using the (N46B20) engine, are u guys doing the same. My normal cruise is puchong,(LDP) damansara, shah alam, pj area and sometimes maybe KL.

Beside that, if go on highway outstation(lets say from here to penang) , will the engine oil burn faster lets say cruised at about average around 110km-130km, on off maybe touching 160km and come down again along the whole journey.

If idling car will burn the engine oil as well? like sent wife to pasar, cannot find car park, just look for elsewhere and illegal park then wait inside the car for probally like 40 minutes. Or wait for ppl go tapao food for like 10 minutes, things like this, u know...sometimes 10-15 minutes wait , sometimes 30-40 minutes wait with car engine on of course.

Hope to get some feedback and answer on my question. Thank you
By the way i m at oversea now, ask here to find out the answer cos wife is currently driving my UDM and phone me engine light is on with yellow warning light.

Initially. I thought there was a leak somewhere. Later. I realised that your N46 engine has a reputation of building sludge in the oil sump. This is a very common problem with N46. The engine also could be burning oil. This is evident when your yellow check engine light is illuminated. The oxygen sensor sensed something wrong with your emission.

Your N46 got engine dip stick ka? My E90 also N46 but no engine oil dip stick. So I don't get visual confirmation on the oil level.

Can be the oil level sensor faulty. The oil top up warning if not wrong, is telling u that u are 1L short. For 3k to 4k km mileage, that's pretty serious.

The N52 engine would expect +1L warning after 8k km, which is claimed "normal", but for N46 +1L at 3k to 4k km is not normal.

this BMW engine oil topup issue is getting on my nerves!my 325 msports loses 1 litre oil in 7500km...added half litre and oil meter is exactly half mark which it should be.3 days later the meter shot up to 3/4 mark....WTF!

southisland;452604 said:
this BMW engine oil topup issue is getting on my nerves!my 325 msports loses 1 litre oil in 7500km...added half litre and oil meter is exactly half mark which it should be.3 days later the meter shot up to 3/4 mark....WTF!

Your car got problem la, fluctuating lubes level:D

astroboy;452559 said:
Your N46 got engine dip stick ka? My E90 also N46 but no engine oil dip stick. So I don't get visual confirmation on the oil level.

Can be the oil level sensor faulty. The oil top up warning if not wrong, is telling u that u are 1L short. For 3k to 4k km mileage, that's pretty serious.

The N52 engine would expect +1L warning after 8k km, which is claimed "normal", but for N46 +1L at 3k to 4k km is not normal.

yes, it does come with a dipstick, just service that time is at Max then this morning i ask my wife to check she said is at Min level and above, something like 50% of engine oil loss assume from full service. So, is this normal if there is no oil leak, if oil leak somewhere else, then i can understand. Currently service my car at M1,should i bring my car to check at Ingress, AB or Sapura? Any advise?

mizhan;452506 said:
a collegue of mine with a 4 cylinder needs to top up a pint every 3k to 4k kms. so does my 6 pot, but becoz got leak la...

Ur colleague top up every 3k-4k, his car got leak?

i call up my service advisor from M1 , jeffrey , he told me this is common for N46 valvetronic engine. Unless i change my engine valve seal, and to do so, i need to spend about 5k+ and he told me even the new valvetronic engine also got makan engine oil issue. if i dunwan to do so, just buy engine oil and top up and he say, is definitely engine oil consume and not the leaking. This is manufacturing defect. Anyone heard of this before? Please share more,feel like asking wife to sent car for check up.

Try thicker engine oil? The present recommended viscosity = 5w/40 but no harm trying 5w/50 (Mobil 1) or even 10w/60 (Castrol Edge Sport)

hclai;452646 said:
yes, it does come with a dipstick, just service that time is at Max then this morning i ask my wife to check she said is at Min level and above, something like 50% of engine oil loss assume from full service. So, is this normal if there is no oil leak, if oil leak somewhere else, then i can understand. Currently service my car at M1,should i bring my car to check at Ingress, AB or Sapura? Any advise?

for car models without the dipstick,the min to max level digitally is definitely 1 litre of oil only.not so sure if it is the same for manual dipstick :hmmmm2:

hclai;452652 said:
i call up my service advisor from M1 , jeffrey , he told me this is common for N46 valvetronic engine. Unless i change my engine valve seal, and to do so, i need to spend about 5k+ and he told me even the new valvetronic engine also got makan engine oil issue. if i dunwan to do so, just buy engine oil and top up and he say, is definitely engine oil consume and not the leaking. This is manufacturing defect. Anyone heard of this before? Please share more,feel like asking wife to sent car for check up.

Wah! Your wife know where's the dip stick ka?! The only girl I know how to pull up the engine oil dipstick is Megan Fox.. :eek: :D :love:

Normally after oil change and oil filter change, oil level will drop a bit when the new filter absorb the oil and need top up after running the engine for a while. Has that been done?

I don't think M1 is talking any sense. Many of us are running N46 and never get that serious. The N52 6-potter oil burn is more serious and even that, its around 7k to 8k km for 1L top up. 1L in 3k - 4k km is too fast. I suspect a leak. Any oil stain on your car park? Tail pipe? Engine? which indicate leakage?

How much oil u poured in during the last service at M1? 4L? N46 is running 4.25L. So if you just poured in 4L, then u are already 0.25L short since the last oil change. That's what I normally do and by 8k to 9k km after the oil change, my +1L warning will lit. To me, its normal and expected, by then I'm ready for the next oil change and wouldn't be bother with any top up. :D

Jerman;452657 said:
Try thicker engine oil? The present recommended viscosity = 5w/40 but no harm trying 5w/50 (Mobil 1) or even 10w/60 (Castrol Edge Sport)

Bro, i m using Mobil 1 lor, have confidence in this oil.

southisland;452659 said:
for car models without the dipstick,the min to max level digitally is definitely 1 litre of oil only.not so sure if it is the same for manual dipstick :hmmmm2:

Wah, like that how to pour in the engine oil ler, since dunno how much is short of.....any idea N46 with dipstick indicate half means short of how many litre?

astroboy;452668 said:
Wah! Your wife know where's the dip stick ka?! The only girl I know how to pull up the engine oil dipstick is Megan Fox.. :eek: :D :love:

Normally after oil change and oil filter change, oil level will drop a bit when the new filter absorb the oil and need top up after running the engine for a while. Has that been done?

I don't think M1 is talking any sense. Many of us are running N46 and never get that serious. The N52 6-potter oil burn is more serious and even that, its around 7k to 8k km for 1L top up. 1L in 3k - 4k km is too fast. I suspect a leak. Any oil stain on your car park? Tail pipe? Engine? which indicate leakage?

How much oil u poured in during the last service at M1? 4L? N46 is running 4.25L. So if you just poured in 4L, then u are already 0.25L short since the last oil change. That's what I normally do and by 8k to 9k km after the oil change, my +1L warning will lit. To me, its normal and expected, by then I'm ready for the next oil change and wouldn't be bother with any top up. :D

Megan Fox not pull up the dipstick lar....he pull someone else stick la...hehehe:10:

Normally after oil change and oil filter change, oil level will drop a bit when the new filter absorb the oil and need top up after running the engine for a while. Has that been done?------> Nope, not yet been done ler. if i need to do so, how much should i pour in?

Check my car park floor,have been observing the the car since i got it a month ago, no leakage ler....even M1 check also no leakage on the car.

Latest info which i ask my wife to check for me, base on my service record , the last service was on 14/august/09 and millage is 78963km and current millage is 81300km and the different is 2337km, wtf, this is so ridiculous.

How much oil u poured in during the last service at M1? 4L? N46 is running 4.25L. So if you just poured in 4L, then u are already 0.25L short since the last oil change. That's what I normally do and by 8k to 9k km after the oil change, my +1L warning will lit. To me, its normal and expected, by then I'm ready for the next oil change and wouldn't be bother with any top up.-------> M1 only pour in 4 litre for me, and since have been driving it for 4 weeks and never do any top up. it is fine for me if the warning light on after 8k - 9k, cos i m preparing to change new oil instead of top up.

Bro, check with u , everytime u service, u pour in how many litre of engine oil? Need more guideline from u on this.Before i bring to secondhand car dealer to claims warranty , they are giving one month warranty on engine and gearbox. anyhow i know is going to be hassle , sure will be ding ding dong here n there and i dunwan to change it without really confirming whether is due to the valve seal broken as claims by M1.

hclai;452696 said:
Bro, i m using Mobil 1 lor, have confidence in this oil.

Bro, Did you buy your Mobil 1 oil from the mobil station? Cause if you bought it from the spare parts shop.....sometimes they might be imitation oil. Normally this happens with branded oils like shell and mobil 1. The packaging looks the same but contents are different.

On another note. Recently i follow my friend to Naza service centre as he had to overhaul his Naza Ria due to overheat. So while we were there, i noticed that Petronas also supplies engine oil to Naza and it comes in 4L packaging which was written Petronas Syntium 3000 5w-30 and at the back there was no BMW LL-98. So now i'm confuse.

1) Does Petronas make the same oil "Syntium 3000 5w-30" with 2 different packaging?
2) Our BMW dealers use "Syntium 3000 5w-30" without the BMW LL-98 specifications?
3) Petronas short change us without the BMW LL-98 certifications.

Cheers

BMWs;452712 said:
Bro, Did you buy your Mobil 1 oil from the mobil station? Cause if you bought it from the spare parts shop.....sometimes they might be imitation oil. Normally this happens with branded oils like shell and mobil 1. The packaging looks the same but contents are different.

On another note. Recently i follow my friend to Naza service centre as he had to overhaul his Naza Ria due to overheat. So while we were there, i noticed that Petronas also supplies engine oil to Naza and it comes in 4L packaging which was written Petronas Syntium 3000 5w-30 and at the back there was no BMW LL-98. So now i'm confuse.

1) Does Petronas make the same oil "Syntium 3000 5w-30" with 2 different packaging?
2) Our BMW dealers use "Syntium 3000 5w-30" without the BMW LL-98 specifications?
3) Petronas short change us without the BMW LL-98 certifications.

Cheers

bro, i tell M1 i wan to use mobil 1, then they order and kao tim my service for me.

hclai;452713 said:
bro, i tell M1 i wan to use mobil 1, then they order and kao tim my service for me.

I'm quite particular on engine oil. On all my previous rides, I would buy my own oil. Now i can't do so. i have tried asking Ingress but they reject.

just to check, how to know whether this is due to valve seal rosak? any idea or guideline?

Top Bottom