Engine Oil Leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
FIRZ67;534420 said:
Venceladus,

Most of the oil leakage issues came from N46 engine be it E90 or E92.

N46 eh? Aaah, then my car PROBABLY will have this issue, someday. Hmmm.

megatnh car definitely CBU. All E92s brought here are CBU, be it from gray importer or authorized dealer. So I guess as long as N46 underneath your hood you have to prepare for this oil leakage issue. Sigh.

Venceladus;534423 said:
N46 eh? Aaah, then my car PROBABLY will have this issue, someday. Hmmm.

megatnh car definitely CBU. All E92s brought here are CBU, be it from gray importer or authorized dealer. So I guess as long as N46 underneath your hood you have to prepare for this oil leakage issue. Sigh.

guys
the one i had problem with oil leak was my previous E90 CKD 2006. Currently , I am driving E92 320i. Apparently same engine N46....So far no sign of oil leak - touch wood -

Since its relatively new (< a year) perhaps its to premature to conclude unless BMW has fixed the vacuum pump, etc issue....

Dear all

Mine N52 2006, so far replaced gear end shaft seal and gear box oil pan, to errest the oil leak. so far so good.

choq:15:

choq;535022 said:
Dear all

Mine N52 2006, so far replaced gear end shaft seal and gear box oil pan, to errest the oil leak. so far so good.

choq:15:

My 2005 e90 325i never spit out engine oil, just swallow it, just makan oil. 1 litre every 1,000 or so km.

Am changing the oil tomorrow.....will check and give you guys an update on mine: E90 LCI 320i, March 2009.

Hi Guys,

I bought the Beemer with the hope that I wont have to live with a leaking engine of my Perdana but reading this thread is making me worried. My Perdana visited the mechanic 4 times and still its leaking...

Beemer for the moment is doing okay

BMW combustion compression is higher than Perdana.. so tendency of leakage is much higher than Perdana. Meaning if engine leak is like strike lottery, then Perdana and BMW representing different betting company, bet with BMW easier to kena lottery.. :p

macdaque;535031 said:
My 2005 e90 325i never spit out engine oil, just swallow it, just makan oil. 1 litre every 1,000 or so km.

My E90 325i was leaking oil slightly .... Got my mechanic to check and the leak was coming from a hose which is located underneath ( Not sure the name of the hose - You could only see it after removing the undercarriage cover - Front middle part ) ..... Replaced the hose and think that it's good for now and hope it stays the same :)

astroboy;535101 said:
Those hoses are most likely the power steering hoses.

Don't think that it was power steering hose ...... My power steering is okay and my mechanic didn't even mention anything about it being related to the power steering ...... This hose was located very close to the point where you drain your engine oil underneath the car's undercarriage

macdaque;535031 said:

Have you checked your oil level sensor? Mine gave a wrong reading immediately after an oil change last month at 2 years. Sensors have a finite lifespan, and yours is 5 years old if you've never changed it. If it is only your sensor giving a wrong reading, you'd just be overfilling and burning the excess off, not to mention fouling your engine and exhaust.

Hi peeps

I had this issue very recently
The seal on my vacuum pump was also leaking
This is the 2nd E90 N46 ive seen with this issue.

The pump gives vacuum pressure to the brake servo.
Under harder braking, i could smell a very distinct burnt oil smell, and on some occasions see smoke from the right side of the hood area.

On inspection i found this
DSC02810.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

so i changed the pump, and the newer Oring along side
Also i change the chain tensioner and the valve cover gasket as it was also leaking a bit..

So far so good,

:D

Gosh I have started to see the potential oil leak on my e92 320i...have been monitoring the engine regularly and tonite I have started to see the carbon soot and mark at the same area as my previous e90..can't see well enough as I was looking at it tonite

I guess N42 and N46 still suffers the same leaking symptoms. The vacuum pump is very solid but the internal gasket is the culprit. My mechanic just opened it up and replace the internal gasket. The outer o-ring is cheap, just RM15 from bavarian auto. I bought my pump at RM750. It's a good thing to change the cam cover gasket as well since it has to be removed to get to the vacuum pump. Worst is to come if the oil separator is clogged (avoid this by regular oil change). One easy DIY is to change the solenoid valve o-rings if the area around it has oily feel when we touch it. Certainly topping up every 2 weeks is not normal for normal driving

E90 owner;559395 said:
i top up my oil every 2 week once..is that normal?

no, how much do you top up with ?
When was the last oil change?

When you go to do the next change, have them collect the oil in a measure jug to see the amount. About 4,25 liters should come out.
If its more, then the sensor in the oil pan is defective, and you are over filling :(

My fixed 4 times, same spot, changed the valve cover gasket and vacuum pump o-ring many times, while car still under warranty.

Wow, Andrew, u DIY? :eek:

Top Bottom