e90 Door Lock Mechanism

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jazzler;483138 said:
I'm currently having problems with the lock mechanism as well albeit of a slightly different nature. My 323i is just short of 2 months old and the comfort access is not responsive. I find it odd that I have to shake my key before the door opens or closes.

The CA remote battery is not a rechargeable like the non-CA remote. It needs to be changed quite often because of the high drain during operation. Although your car is only 2 months old, the CA remote may have been made much earlier, so the battery could be flat.

Going OT a bit, but I hunted down this piece I read long ago, that might help us understand why it takes a bit longer for the locks to operate and why multiple clicks are sometimes required:

Each remote key works with it's own set of security codes, and it does not care what is going on with another remote key. The remote keys have to go through a separate "initialisation" process. When this is done the car's security unit selects a "code word" for each key (a randomly chosen number from a base of 2 to the 48th.) This code word is transferred to the remote key and is also remembered by the car for that key. Each key has it's own randomly chosen code word.

Now each time you hit a button on a remote key the code word is incremented by one number in it's series. So the next time you use that key with the car it is expecting to see the next higher number. Since you might hit a button away from the car it tracks a series of numbers and will resync the key & code if it is within a certain range. If you hit a button often enough away from the car to get outside the expected range, then you will have to hit a button twice before the car will respond - and then put itself back in sync for that key. There is another higher range (1000 strikes) that if you go beyond that the car will not respond and you will have to re-initialise all the remote keys - they then start will new code words again. So essentially the car keeps track of the "code word series" of numbers for "each remote key".

And to combat the scanners that car thieves use:

While on the subject there is another unit comes into play. To prevent scanning of your system there is a blocker circuit on the car that if the car receives 10 consecutive incorrect code words from a remote, then it blocks the receipt of all signals (even correct ones) for the next 15 minutes. So of all the millions of possible code combinations a scanner only has 10 chances every 15 minutes. Not very likely. On top of that - even if they monitored your car while you used the remote to lock it. If they figured out the next code word in the sequence they would also have to figure out the "unlock" command. Not very likely.

So please don't compare your BMW remote with that of your National or Jap car. Those are just simple RF transponders, child's play for car theft syndicates. Higher security is always less convenient. :top:

So don't play with your remote when you're having TT at a mamak, nor give it to your toddler to keep him amused. He'll click it way out of code range, and you'll have trouble opening the car. :D

The random security code is also the identifier for your car to know which personal profile to call up. So you can set different settings (radio stations, seat positions, display options, etc) for each of your remotes. :top:

To add on, the module responsible for the "code word", communicating with the remote key is the culprit I mentioned earlier, the CAS (Car Access System). Each CAS will only work with 6 sets of remote key, we are having 2 when u take delivery of the car, 4 more is kept somewhere else, locked away. So if you lost your remote key, u can seek replacement from SC and once the 6 remote keys are used up, the old CAS needs to be replaced to make way for 6 more remote keys.

The CAS is talking to both your remote key and unlocking the ECU as part of the immobiliser system. Your car won't start without a proper CAS, initiated by an authorised remote key. Our car cannot hot wire. To put it into simpler layman terms, the "code word" mentioned by Schwepps above is like our usual internet password verification questions.. i.e. What's your favorite pet? What's your mother's maiden name? and the like. CAS will be responsible to ask those "questions" and our remote key is responsible to "answer" with its so called "code word".. and the question keeps changing. Without the proper "answer", our ECU is locked and car won't start. Now u know why its impossible to duplicate our remote key.. :eek:

wow too much info to stomach la so early in the morning. think i'll come back later.

You don't have to worry about the details, only automation buffs like Astro and me need to know. :) BTW, Astro I think it's the other way around. It's the remote that generates the constantly changing random no and the CAS has to recognise it. I tested mine this morning. Clicked the remote a few times standing a distance from the car to tumble the code. When I went near, it needed 2 clicks to unlock.

You guys may feel it's inconvenient and a culprit for your woes. And prefer to have the common remotes that you can click 15m from your car, and your car goes "Toot! Toot! Flash! Flash! I'm here, Master, I'm here!" Yes, that's very convenient....for you, as well as the thief with an RF scanner or hijacker with a knife. I prefer the inconvenience. :wink:

And deactivate 'Confirmation on unlocking' in your Locks settings so that the lights don't alert anyone. And jump in and hit the door lock button immediately.

The short range is a security feature, so that the signal can't be picked up by a scanner unless the crook is standing right behind you. Merc remotes operate on much the same principles, but range is slightly better...just right IMO.

I'm a bit troubled on an article in Malay Mail (can't remember exactly when, but quite recent) on the device available to duplicate Merc and BMW keys. It's similar to the TKM for Toyotas. Supposed to be available in the internet for RM700.

Was with SouthIsland for dinner late last year and while we tried to demonstrate who has the most Ah Beng door handle LED illumination of our E90 and E92, he activated his remote over 20 feet away and managed to unlock his E90 325i MSport just to show off his door handle illumination in the dark. I was thinking AWESOME! :eek:

Mine can never cover that range.. and I always put the blame on my VKool Elite which happens to block over 90% of IR wave. I have yet to ask what tint film SouthIsland is using.. Mine remote only work less than 5 feet away from the car.. :( Like what Schwepps said, I am not complaining either.. but it will be nice if the distance is 10~20 feet. My preference..

My Avanza, on the other hand, can operate even its out of sight.. 100 feet, quite easily! So I can still lock my car door from my bedroom and watch the amber signal illumination reflected on my neighbor's gate.. :p Splendid!

astroboy;483380 said:
My Avanza, on the other hand, can operate even its out of sight.. 100 feet, quite easily! So I can still lock my car door from my bedroom and watch the amber signal illumination reflected on my neighbor's gate.. :p Splendid!

Very splendid. Especially for the car thieves who can pick up your signal from around the corner, duplicate your remote, open your car door without a sound, and start it with master keys. While you switch off the lights in your bedroom and do what you must do. :)

i think its just sheer technology overkill la. The old anti duplicating technology was good enough for me. whats the use of all this super tech if u cant get into the car while trying to protect yourself from the mugger right behind you? :)

whats the statistics for car thieves using this tech? 1 in a thousand? 1 in a million? and to think that every single day of our lives as long as we own our bimmer we will have this inconvenience.

Bro, car thieves are not one-man shows these days. Syndicates operate like a business now. Using scanners to duplicate the 'old' RF transponder remotes is standard modus operandi, not 1 in a thousand or million. Which is why luxury marques have come up wth running-code remotes which are extremely difficult to scan and duplicate.

The downside of the new technology is that if there is a syndicate 'order' for Mercs or BMWs, they'll use the carjacking method to 'acquire stock'. A couple of years ago, a company director with a biometric security system in his S-Class had his thumb chopped off before being dropped off naked in an oil palm estate in Subang. I'm always on the alert for carjackers and there have been occasions when I've driven past my house when I thought I was being tailed.

Mine can be lock and unlock within 10 to 15 feet range. But that is sometimes only. Most of the time is about 8 feet away and even sometimes it cannot be lock or unlock in less than 1 feet away. Hmmm.....

Schwepps;483508 said:
Bro, car thieves are not one-man shows these days. Syndicates operate like a business now. Using scanners to duplicate the 'old' RF transponder remotes is standard modus operandi, not 1 in a thousand or million. Which is why luxury marques have come up wth running-code remotes which are extremely difficult to scan and duplicate.

The downside of the new technology is that if there is a syndicate 'order' for Mercs or BMWs, they'll use the carjacking method to 'acquire stock'. A couple of years ago, a company director with a biometric security system in his S-Class had his thumb chopped off before being dropped off naked in an oil palm estate in Subang. I'm always on the alert for carjackers and there have been occasions when I've driven past my house when I thought I was being tailed.

schweppes.. i think you've been watching too many CSI or you're really paranoid ?

Hmmmm....... I have to say that the scanners used by car thiefs to duplicate remote control transponders is a fact. And while I do not know personally, anyone who has lost a thumb or any other digit to car thieves for biometric access, I do know that biometric security is definitely an option for both the 7-Series, Range Rover and S-Class security models.

And unfortunately, a certain level of caution these days, can be termed as, 'healthy paranoia'. You just can't be too careful. Ask anyone who has had their cars/bags/property stolen or violated. I keep a taser and I've used it....

bimmerdude;483687 said:
schweppes.. i think you've been watching too many CSI or you're really paranoid?

I just know people in several depts of PDM. :wink:

Schwepps;483764 said:
I just know people in several depts of PDM. :wink:

ok It would be good to know exactly the statistics on auto related crimes. Do ur contacts have the numbers?

Top Bottom