Engine Oil Leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nickyow

Club Guest
I believe this prob is common among N46 engines for the E90s. If I recall, Astroboy also made a similar post sometime back. So, I thought I would like to share with everyone. I discovered engine oil leak near the gasket just about after my 24months warranty period. When checked, IA said a change of 'O' ring will solve it and they managed to get it done under warranty for me. All is good...I thought. A week down the road, I discovered that the problem persists!! So again I brought it back to IA. Then IA said they need to take a photo to send to BMW Malaysia coz this time, need to change vacuum pump. When BMW 'ok-ed' the claim again, I sent my car in to have the vacuum pump changed. All happy now...I THOUGHT! Then 1-2 weeks later when I check again, the problem persists!!! I brought it back to IA and this time, they were scratching their head! They don't know what's wrong! So they said they will check with BMW and revert to me again on what they can do!!! 1 week passed no one called me back. I tried calling IA for updates, but to no avail. So, I wrote a lengthy complain to BMW Malaysia. Within 2 days, BMW called me and IA called me to bring my car in again and this time inspection will be done by BMW. They checked and said that there's another internal 'o' ring that needs to be changed. That was done and hopefully this solves the problem. Will need to monitor again. In a nutshell, this whole process is a waste of time for us customers. If BMW knows this is a common problem, they should just recall all the N46 engines and do all the rectification work at one go instead of waiting for the client to complain! Anyway, this is for the benefit of N46 engine owners...if u don't have this problem, you are in luck!

I gave up d.. :(

I bought the car because of its handling capability, engine wise, I opt for Toyota anytime!

Mine start to stain my porch despite countless time visited the SC. Am now just waiting for my wife to notice the dirt and start yelling.. so far been lucky because she uses the car. Every time the stained is revealed, its because she drove the car away. When she back home, the E90 is parked over the stain, so she won't notice it.. :p Keeping my finger crossed, don't know how long more I can hide from her.. :p

And right as you type this, Mrs. Astroboy discovers, to her sheer horror, a mess of sludge marring the perfection of her immaculate porch.

Ennui78;532684 said:
And right as you type this, Mrs. Astroboy discovers, to her sheer horror, a mess of sludge marring the perfection of her immaculate porch.

NOOOOOOooooo........!!!!!! VW/Audi salesman in the house! Please call me, NOW! URGENT!!

I have a 2007 E90 320i 39k km mileage, 2.5 years old, to TRADE IN! Best offer secure!

:D :D

AB, did you raise this with BMW Malaysia? If it leaks again, BMW M'sia is going to get it bad from me! hahaha...

anyway, u r right...m considering a VW as well. I heard less problem. I may even opt for the problem free Honda Civic!!! hahahaha...

astroboy;532686 said:
NOOOOOOooooo........!!!!!! VW/Audi salesman in the house! Please call me, NOW! URGENT!!

I have a 2007 E90 320i 39k km mileage, 2.5 years old, to TRADE IN! Best offer secure!

:D :D

trade in for the e60 or F10 larrr

The E60 and F10 using N52, got engine oil thirsty problem.. :p

Cannot la bro, my boss only using Camry, want me to lose my job meh?!

Aiyoo, what's with all this reliability fuss? Want reliability, buy Toyota lo, which happens to be my daily commuter, for the same reason.. :D :D :D

Want to keep a beautiful wife but cut her budget for makeup or shopping allowance.. might as well grab someone from the kampung that never leaves the kitchen wan lor.. :p :D

Ever seen an F1 car that no need to change engine for entire season or not? and u expect mass produced car to fetch better quality that an F1 car meh?! :D :D

hehe... try to protect the marque.. :p

Just to update everyone...whatever IA did last week, did not rectify the oil leak...=(

Like what I do now lor.. think of how to hide it from wife.. :p so can continue the driving pleasure for as long as I can.. :D

btw... father just called me and told me that there's a big patch of oil stain under the car, and it look redish.. might be ATF :eek: Now I'm worried! :(

nickyow;533210 said:
AB, u r freaking me out. Ok, let's visit the VW showroom!

Will be sending my car to SC tomorrow morning and leave it to the good hands for 2 days. Hope to collect her back in one piece on Saturday. Expect she'll be treated with spa, massage, manicure, and whatever therapy available there.. :D :D

I will be out of town for 2 days, don't disturb me. Need to get some sun bathing.. :rock:

astroboy;533236 said:
Will be sending my car to SC tomorrow morning and leave it to the good hands for 2 days. Hope to collect her back in one piece on Saturday. Expect she'll be treated with spa, massage, manicure, and whatever therapy available there.. :D :D

I will be out of town for 2 days, don't disturb me. Need to get some sun bathing.. :rock:

hopefully you won't receive a call from the SC telling you that it's a GB kong problem ...or else you'll be more worried when you;re out of town .. :)

Ok.. took back the car today.. really lost count la. I think #4th time for fixing the same problem. Test resume..

Nothing wrong with GB.. phew! and wasn't ATF that stained my porch.. its the good ol' vacuum pump again..

Hi AB,
My E90 also have this problem and rectified by mechanic as vacuum pump leakage and rocker gasket. So far the stain from engine oil haven't reached my porch floor yet. Maybe it's minimal leak but since I heard that you have troubleshoot this for fourth time already, I decided to live with it for now. My problem started since 6 months ago and I only need to refill 1 liter of engine oil for every 12000 kms which is ok for me.So far there is a mechanic that give a second thought just to get the 'O' ring replace but haven't give it a try yet.

FIRZ67;534183 said:
Hi AB,
My E90 also have this problem and rectified by mechanic as vacuum pump leakage and rocker gasket. So far the stain from engine oil haven't reached my porch floor yet. Maybe it's minimal leak but since I heard that you have troubleshoot this for fourth time already, I decided to live with it for now. My problem started since 6 months ago and I only need to refill 1 liter of engine oil for every 12000 kms which is ok for me.So far there is a mechanic that give a second thought just to get the 'O' ring replace but haven't give it a try yet.

Hi guys
I had my car fixed for the same problem. Twice I sent the car there to get rid of the oil leak. Frustrating...

all these problems are they because the cars are locally assembled or what? you know, factory tolerance not followed through. :)

megatnh;534355 said:
Hi guys
I had my car fixed for the same problem. Twice I sent the car there to get rid of the oil leak. Frustrating...

megatnh,

Are these problems came from your E92? Mind telling me how old is your car?

bimmerdude;534378 said:
all these problems are they because the cars are locally assembled or what? you know, factory tolerance not followed through. :)

Not because of SKD bimmerdude. Mine is CBU also have the problem....

Venceladus;534411 said:
megatnh,

Are these problems came from your E92? Mind telling me how old is your car?

Venceladus,

Most of the oil leakage issues came from N46 engine be it E90 or E92.

Top Bottom