e92/e93 buying guide..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
supergripen;719849 said:
I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting the e93.. not my cuppa,especially the shape with the roof up.Looks ok with the roof down tho.Mind,the e93 is quite a bit heavier than the e92,so a 335i would be the obvious choice due to the torquey nature of the engine.Anything less you'll need to rev the crap outta the engine to get up to anything as fast.
Just my humble opinion la.. end of the day it's ur dough,all the best in finding ur dream BMW bro:)

Actually, it's different for me.... I actually prefer the look of the E93. The shape of the roof is ok, just basicaly looks like my 986's hard top. Difference in preference I guess.... I don't like the fact that it's over 200kgs heavier though... That's alot of weight !

Any indication on how much to change the HPFP? Any symptom before it goes kaput? thanks

badrul880;720238 said:
Any indication on how much to change the HPFP? Any symptom before it goes kaput? thanks
Hi,
RM12XX Stuttgart. Symptom long cranks and DME code while driving.

badrul880;720238 said:

Yup...about rm12xx.

Not such a big worry I think.A lot of the issues known to the 335 are actually easy fixes,and relatively cheap.Relative to the performance that u get that is.

So I guess it just won't fail on you. The signal to change is the long crank eh.. What about the rattling waste gates? Is there a repair kit?

badrul880;720259 said:
So I guess it just won't fail on you. The signal to change is the long crank eh.. What about the rattling waste gates? Is there a repair kit?

Yup..u can get the wastegates refurbished.Will probably cost about rm600-700 each if I'm not mistaken.

supergripen;720262 said:
Yup..u can get the wastegates refurbished.Will probably cost about rm600-700 each if I'm not mistaken.

supergripen, are most of the problems with the turbo due to the wastegates ? Or are there common problems with the turbos themselves ?

I caved in today and put a deposit on a alpine white 07 E93 335i M Sport.... It's a oct 07 manufacture date.... Don't know what happened.... and I know how much effort it takes to maintain a white car... But it's now a done deal, unless the mechanic inspection brings any surprises.

Tested the car and it's bumpier on the 19" run flat tires (prev test car had 18" normal tires) but still acceptable and it's got a lot of power than the last 335i I tried (esp when starting off from stationary). I guess there might be something wrong with the other car.

This car has bridgestone re050a tires, I've heard that these tires ride pretty rough compared to michelin PS 2 or 3. Anyone knows whether that's true ? I've got PS2 on my one of my cars now and they offer good grip and seem pretty comfortable.... but have no experience on re050a.

Two additional questions ...

I noticed on the 6 or 7 e93 335i M Sport (not sure real M sport but all had the M sport rims, bodykit, oil cooler, steering and black roof lining), most had the brake calipers painted in black while 1 or 2 did not. Is there any significance in this ?? ie real M-Sport with calipers painted and non-M Sport not painted ? Just seems strange that there is a variation.

Also, do the real M Sport come with 19" or 18" rims or was the 19" rims an option ?

badrul880;720319 said:
How to see if the car comes with oil cooler?

By looking at the driver's side wheel well... there will be slits on the front part (towards bumper) of the wheel inner lining...

shlim8;720299 said:
supergripen, are most of the problems with the turbo due to the wastegates ? Or are there common problems with the turbos themselves ?

I caved in today and put a deposit on a alpine white 07 E93 335i M Sport.... It's a oct 07 manufacture date.... Don't know what happened.... and I know how much effort it takes to maintain a white car... But it's now a done deal, unless the mechanic inspection brings any surprises.

Tested the car and it's bumpier on the 19" run flat tires (prev test car had 18" normal tires) but still acceptable and it's got a lot of power than the last 335i I tried (esp when starting off from stationary). I guess there might be something wrong with the other car.

This car has bridgestone re050a tires, I've heard that these tires ride pretty rough compared to michelin PS 2 or 3. Anyone knows whether that's true ? I've got PS2 on my one of my cars now and they offer good grip and seem pretty comfortable.... but have no experience on re050a.

Wow...congrats on the purchase.I guess its one u bought with ur heart huh? :)

Regarding the turbos,yeah..as far as I know,the most common problem wih them are the rattling wastegates.Very much rectifiable now,and relatively cheaply.Haven't heard of any other problems especially pertaining to the actual turbos themselves..these are Mitsubishi TD03s so they're pretty hardy.

As far as tyres are concerned,the RE050As are indeed very stiff.. had them on my car when I first bought it,changed to non-RFT PS3s within a month.The difference was night and day.

badrul880;720319 said:
How to see if the car comes with oil cooler?

this is how it should look like bro:

Wheel-Well-OilColler.jpg

a picture describes a thousand words :)

*p/s: dah start shopping around ke bro? hehe

Nampaknya makin ramai populasi driver 335i huh? Good news ni.

Next thing u know someone will be orgynizing a group buy ler..

Oh oh... have I made a mistake ? on all the e93s that I saw, there were slits on the driver's wheel well but they weren't so long... does it mean they don't have oil coolers ? Is that the standard size slits for a m sport oil cooler ?

SilverBullet;720390 said:
this is how it should look like bro:

Wheel-Well-OilColler.jpg

a picture describes a thousand words :)

*p/s: dah start shopping around ke bro? hehe

another way to tell is to pop-up your hood and have a look, for those without oil cooler (notice there's no oil filter and thermostat housing, as well an additional hose connecting to the oil cooler radiator down below near the wheel arch):

81524058withoutoilcooler.jpg

and the ones with oil cooler:

bmw-335i-coupe_57.jpg

Hi silverbullet, is the picture of the white 335i from VK Motorwerks ? Saw the same picture there. And I think the picture shows the VK upgraded oil cooler.

I downloaded the VK upgraded oil cooler install guide and the picture of the standard 335i oil cooler air exit slits are much smaller... and looks like the one on my future ride .... The upgraded oil cooler requires the wheel liner to be cut and additional air exit grills to be installed.

BTW, the upgraded oil cooler looks big and good !

I think your suggestion of looking for the the oil cooler hoses would be the definitive way of determing whether there is a oil cooler of not. I'll have a look tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone done the upgraded oil cooler ? I know the 335i doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, but doesn't adding a bigger oil cooler reduce oil pressure. Sort of trade off from lower oil pressure vs cooler oil. (this is from my WRX days... the oil pressure does drop !)

shlim8;720441 said:
Hi silverbullet, is the picture of the white 335i from VK Motorwerks ? Saw the same picture there. And I think the picture shows the VK upgraded oil cooler.

I downloaded the VK upgraded oil cooler install guide and the picture of the standard 335i oil cooler air exit slits are much smaller... and looks like the one on my future ride .... The upgraded oil cooler requires the wheel liner to be cut and additional air exit grills to be installed.

BTW, the upgraded oil cooler looks big and good !

I think your suggestion of looking for the the oil cooler hoses would be the definitive way of determing whether there is a oil cooler of not. I'll have a look tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone done the upgraded oil cooler ? I know the 335i doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, but doesn't adding a bigger oil cooler reduce oil pressure. Sort of trade off from lower oil pressure vs cooler oil. (this is from my WRX days... the oil pressure does drop !)

There is also an oil cooler kit(can't remember from whom) that adds an additional oil cooler to the existing one.The heat exchanger is placed just behind one of the kidney grilles.So far I haven't felt the need for an additional one,but that might change if I decide to track the car.For normal road use,the standard ones should suffice I think.
I used to have an STi as well... awesome car.Still miss it,especially my Sepang escapades.

supergripen;720462 said:
There is also an oil cooler kit(can't remember from whom) that adds an additional oil cooler to the existing one.The heat exchanger is placed just behind one of the kidney grilles.So far I haven't felt the need for an additional one,but that might change if I decide to track the car.For normal road use,the standard ones should suffice I think.
I used to have an STi as well... awesome car.Still miss it,especially my Sepang escapades.

There is also upgraded intercooler that allows a add on oil cooler on-top of it at a very decent price.

BTW, do you miss the fuel consumption of your STi ?? Ha ha... my modded wrx can barely make it to the caltex station after ayer keroh on the nshwy from singapore.

shlim8;720470 said:
There is also upgraded intercooler that allows a add on oil cooler on-top of it at a very decent price.

BTW, do you miss the fuel consumption of your STi ?? Ha ha... my modded wrx can barely make it to the caltex station after ayer keroh on the nshwy from singapore, if I'm really pushing it..

I took the STi for what it is,a rally stage refugee so FC wasn't really my concern.I seldom get to drive my cars anyways due to work,so the few chances I had I just enjoy them for what they are.Terrific machines those Subarus.. but yeah,a highly tuned STi is something you don't want to have to drive everyday.

Top Bottom