e92/e93 buying guide..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
shlim8;720441 said:
Hi silverbullet, is the picture of the white 335i from VK Motorwerks ? Saw the same picture there. And I think the picture shows the VK upgraded oil cooler.

I downloaded the VK upgraded oil cooler install guide and the picture of the standard 335i oil cooler air exit slits are much smaller... and looks like the one on my future ride .... The upgraded oil cooler requires the wheel liner to be cut and additional air exit grills to be installed.

BTW, the upgraded oil cooler looks big and good !

I think your suggestion of looking for the the oil cooler hoses would be the definitive way of determing whether there is a oil cooler of not. I'll have a look tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone done the upgraded oil cooler ? I know the 335i doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, but doesn't adding a bigger oil cooler reduce oil pressure. Sort of trade off from lower oil pressure vs cooler oil. (this is from my WRX days... the oil pressure does drop !)

yes bro it's from VK Motorwerks..coz that's the clearest picture to show where the oil cooler is, near the wheel arch..same location for standard ones..I'm pretty sure your e93 comes with oil cooler based on the way you've been describing it..congrats and enjoy your ride!

SilverBullet;720390 said:
this is how it should look like bro:

Wheel-Well-OilColler.jpg

a picture describes a thousand words :)

*p/s: dah start shopping around ke bro? hehe

Tengah dok research lagi bro.. :listen:

shlim8;718594 said:
The hunt continues for the E93 335i.... got a couple of questions / comments...

Comments - finally test drove a E93 335i, supposedly with 20k km (front 2 seats leather not in good shape and faded bonnet ie rest of paint ok, led me to disbelieve the mileage). The ride was very smooth, reasonable handling and reasonable power. Was alittle disappointed because if this is with the M-Sport suspension, it was still way too soft (it had 18" rims though) and oil cooler slits. Power was also smooth, but I was expecting more , guess the roof and extra reinforcement is alot of extra weight to carry. Frankly, compared to my 2.7l Boxster, I was expecting more power.... of course in terms of cornering/handling, I didn't expect the E93 to compare with the Boxster. But the E93 (in its current form... haha) is going to be a good highway cruiser, which is what exactly what I was looking for (boxster is less than ideal for that). Should I be expecting the power on the E93 335i to be better than my slightly modded boxster (abt 240bhp vs 306bhp E93, 1300kg vs 1800kg) ?? My boxster even starts off only on 2nd gear unless I'm really pushing it and I think from 0 to 120kmh, it's definitely faster than the E93 (couldn't test the E93 any further due to traffic). I presume at higher speed the E93 should be better with the twin turbo 3 litre engine.

I'm looking for a replacement for the boxster so, wouldn't be considering the E92. I'll definitely be looking at a ECU tune... any recommendations ? Drooling over the Dinan, but it's just too much parts (intake, intercooler, oil cooler and maybe exhaust) and $$$ to achieve the 398bhp.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering (as I was), the roof was totally creak free and the chassis very stiff with only very little scuttle shake for a convertible. GOOD...

Me and my buddy both got 335's within the same month, i got a E92, and he got a E93....after a few weeks of driving our cars, we swapped to try.

Me: Eh..whats wrong with your car? seems like its NA, turbos not working ar?
Him: OMG....your car is so FAST...and nimble..bla bla

200kgs maks a huge diffrence to pick up, handling and stopping, u just cant fight physics. In the end, he got procede, new downpipes, new rims and ditch the RFT(save about 20+kg) new race battery (save 25kg). The car is churning out massive power, but it still feels "heavy"

a few months back..for first time..i had full car with 3 other passengers..and in my mind i thought..."Hey this is how the E93 feels like". The E93 is still a great convertible...but dont buy one if you want performance, get a E92 with no sunroof, Msport.

shlim8;720302 said:
Two additional questions ...

I noticed on the 6 or 7 e93 335i M Sport (not sure real M sport but all had the M sport rims, bodykit, oil cooler, steering and black roof lining), most had the brake calipers painted in black while 1 or 2 did not. Is there any significance in this ?? ie real M-Sport with calipers painted and non-M Sport not painted ? Just seems strange that there is a variation.

Also, do the real M Sport come with 19" or 18" rims or was the 19" rims an option ?

yea theres a huge variation with e92/93. My calipers arnt painted...another variation is bonnet interior colour, some are body coloured, some are undercoated white etc. I have yet to see a Msport without the 19's

Ryou;720922 said:
yea theres a huge variation with e92/93. My calipers arnt painted...another variation is bonnet interior colour, some are body coloured, some are undercoated white etc. I have yet to see a Msport without the 19's

My Msport came with 18" 193Ms..the ones u find on the Msport 325i.But then again,mine is e90 la.

SHlim congrats.. just wondering how much did you get yours for ? Mine is almost full specced - Logic 7, Sunroof, M-sport, USB-AUX and i went to a dealer to ask for a trade-in price.. i was crying all the way home.

M5port;721222 said:
SHlim congrats.. just wondering how much did you get yours for ? Mine is almost full specced - Logic 7, Sunroof, M-sport, USB-AUX and i went to a dealer to ask for a trade-in price.. i was crying all the way home.

below 220k? :(

M5port;721222 said:

Yes, I know.... I think the combination of the F30 coming, the BMW authorized dealer year end pre-reg promos and the lelong sale doesn't help our car's re-sale value.

I went into the same shock when I asked for the trade in price for my e90 323i LCI, it's truly ridiculous. Massive loss for a 2 yr old car. So I decided to keep it, since it's still running well. Now trying to sell my other car instead.

Ryou;720922 said:

Ryou, thanks for sharing with me your experience on E93 vs E92. Certainly helps. I've test driven another E93 (it's the one I bought) and it's got more poke than the 1st car I tried. Certainly when starting off from rest it's got much more poke. I almost thought that the car I bought might have some performance mods, but my mechanic says everything looks stock.

And yes, the E93 335i does feel like a NA engine (but a sizeable one !), very linear, no sudden kick in the back. Yes, it does feel heavy starting off from rest, but it still piles up speed pretty quick. It's a compromise for the hardtop vs the coupe, that's for sure.

Do our stock downpipes have cats on them ? Don't want to have CEL coming on with deleted cats (very painful, from experience). Am also interesting in ecu tuning/piggyback, downpipes, bigger intercooler and bigger oil cooler, but that'll probably be a while later.

With all the talk about the cooling on the 335i engine being marginal, has anyone tried sustained high high speeds on the highway ? Will the stock setup be able to handle that ? On one of previous ride, the oil temp really spikes up. I'll be using this car mainly for extended nshwy driving. Don't want to end up in limp mode.

There is quite alot of E93 Msport (on sale) on 18" rims... almost 60-40 ratio. But like I said in prev post, I'm not sure all the cars I saw were original M sport, all 6 or 7 had the body kit, oil cooler, msport rims, msport steering, black roof lining.

My car is white in color, so the bonnet interior color is coordinated, even if it's white undercoat.... haha.

I find it very strange that BMW would paint the calipers on some cars and not on others. I was wondering if it's due to some options on the car ? Although I compared 2 cars and both had identical specs but one was late 2007 and the other early 2008, the 2008 had unpainted calipers. Unfortunately, didn't check to see if there were any 2007 with unpainted calipers.

M5port;721222 said:

Audi dreamin' eh?

M5port;721916 said:
supergripen it is just too sexy to ignore. haha...

Yup I know what u mean... I was parking my car at the Ikano carpark yesterday,and lo and behold! An Audi S5 Sportback came around the corner! Damn... my jaw dropped with a clang! It is so gorgeous.. damn,I was green with envy:(
My new 2013 resolution..get 19"s for my Toothless.The 18"s just don't do it anymore.

Hi guys, most of the UK Spec 335 I saw has under carriage rust issues. Any where I can get a rub down to clear the rust and apply under coating to the affected areas?

badrul880;723168 said:
Hi guys, most of the UK Spec 335 I saw has under carriage rust issues. Any where I can get a rub down to clear the rust and apply under coating to the affected areas?

try get the dealer to do that for you first bro..can also arrange to go with them to the anti-rust workshop if u doubt the job quality :)

SilverBullet;723191 said:
try get the dealer to do that for you first bro..can also arrange to go with them to the anti-rust workshop if u doubt the job quality :)

Mine is a UK spec 335i as well, the dealer has sent the car for rust eradication and anti rust proofing... and I didn't even have to ask him to do it, he told me it will be done (no additional charge). But I haven't seen the end result yet. I was concerned about it, but you are right, most UK spec cars have some rust on the undercarriage, unless it's very very new or never driven in winter. It's all the salt they use on the roads in winter.

I never really thought of this until I had the car hoisted up to check.

yup, most reputable dealers will do these as a standard procedure before rolling off the car (at least mine did..very nice SA, good before and aftersales service):

Anti-rust treatments, full service (change all fluids - engine, gearbox, brakes, etc. ), full body work touch-up, interior reconditioning, polish/wax, repainting of brake calipers (depending on the rust - UK spec, sitting around for some time at the port or showroom)..

Also try to get them to change all 4 tyres (if the condition are bad or about to be expired) and the battery as well..

p/s: still keeping in touch with my SA, changed my Angel Eyes bulb FOC after it went kaput after 1 week receiving the car..those interested can contact him at 014-7010775 (Is) from Rupee Entreprise..got another 5-6 335i units there..new shipment just arrived last week when I went there..quite good specs :)

SilverBullet;723370 said:
yup, most reputable dealers will do these as a standard procedure before rolling off the car (at least mine did..very nice SA, good before and aftersales service):

Anti-rust treatments, full service (change all fluids - engine, gearbox, brakes, etc. ), full body work touch-up, interior reconditioning, polish/wax, repainting of brake calipers (depending on the rust - UK spec, sitting around for some time at the port or showroom)..

Also try to get them to change all 4 tyres (if the condition are bad or about to be expired) and the battery as well..

p/s: still keeping in touch with my SA, changed my Angel Eyes bulb FOC after it went kaput after 1 week receiving the car..those interested can contact him at 014-7010775 (Is) from Rupee Entreprise..got another 5-6 335i units there..new shipment just arrived last week when I went there..quite good specs :)

Yup, my dealer is the same - full change of fluids, touch up, rust proofing etc.... Now I'm trying to get them to change all 4 tires to PSS non-run flats.... instead of changing the front 2 to new RFTs (one side kena sidewall). I don't fancy the ride with the rft, although considering they are 19" RFTs, the ride isn't all that bad.

Greetings guy, I'm looking in purchasing a e92 320 or maybe a 325. What's a recommended shop to check around ? I should be able together it at around rm170k for a recond car 08/09 model right ?

Top Bottom