E90 320 swallowing petrol

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
the red one was not marked as Ron97 and it's label is V-Power Racing instead of V-Power 97 where other countries are marketing Red V-Power Racing as Ron 98/99

There was a car magazine in UK that did an actual test on few cars for two weeks with a minimum of 1000km distance. Three cars was used, if I remember correctly, a Jag, a 5series(E39) and civic. All three engine inlet manifold and combustion chambers was photographed before the test. After two weeks/1000km, the same area are photographed again. All showed significant cleaner parts! Thus proving the Vpower's cleaning capability. The best part was, the magazine quoted the BMW engine was not really dirty to begin with but still it shows the best result thus implying the BMW engine was well designed. :wink:

Talking bout FC, my 325i OBC actually shows 14l/100km. Hardly any trafic jams as i usually drive on weekends except for the usual stop go at traffic lights.

What are other fellow 325i FC reading, mind sharing?

I'm still thinking that my FC is pretty high and i cant imagine being stuck in a jam. Probably hitting 16L/100km?

hsiengloong1985;581142 said:
Talking bout FC, my 325i OBC actually shows 14l/100km. Hardly any trafic jams as i usually drive on weekends except for the usual stop go at traffic lights.

I'm still thinking that my FC is pretty high and i cant imagine being stuck in a jam. Probably hitting 16L/100km?

mine shows 12.1l/100km. 2009 e90 325i
puchong traffic and surroundng area drive.

toiletroll;580047 said:
erm... my e90 320i fc as follows:

Ron97: about RM110 for full tank drive until the fuel indicator appears. I clock in about 400-450km... sometimes i do get naughty by flooring the pedel... hehe

Hmmm, quite a heavy footer :)

Weird that you guys have better fc as compared to me, hmm.. Unless there's something wrong with my OBC.

One thing i realise is that, after cruising for like 5 minutes on a straight road, the FC on my OBC only drops 0.1L. It does not do a significant drop as per the current FC rate.

Mind sharing if this is the case as my mom's merc, it actually flactuates moves more rapidly as compared to mine.

14l/100km is a bit high buddy. My driving pattern is similar to yours - mostly highway and no traffic jams. My FC is 11.9l/100 and average speed is 46kmh. Recorded from showroom til now (42k) as I've never reset my OBC. I'm in a 325i Sports.

Suggest you get your tuning checked by a dealer SC.

hsiengloong1985;581142 said:

My average is 11.8L/100km (8.4km/l). I did twice on the MEX hwy to Cyberjaya this week and the rest are on PJ/KL roads with the occasional routine bumper to bumper scenario. Mine is 2010 LCI 325i ///M Sports. You may want to check out your car with SC.

You guys have been getting much better FC than me. Anothing thig i have note is that i do not do manual calculation on my fc but instead i rely on my OBC to proviude me the reading.

Anothing thing i would like to note is that : does your OBC's fc reading varies upon each drive? Mine does not fluctuate as much as i have seen on a merz, perhaps onli movign down 0.1L for after moving for like 10 minutes.

Appreciate advice if mine i fauly or is this the staandard case for every BMW. Thanks

BTW, mine is an e90 325 //Msport 2010..

Could it be that FC is high cos the car is still new? Only done 1k in KMs..

Thanks

My OBC does not fluctuate much either, like you said, around +-0.1 or 0.2 if I drive frugally. But if I am heavy footed it moves more like 0.3~0.4 within the same drive. I'm running stock tyres from factory and Shell Vpower 97. So there's nothing unusual....

Guess there's something wrong with my OBC then. If i recall my last petrol pump was RM80 (38L) with Ron97 Petronas and it got me approx 320kM which is about 11.87L/100KM but my OBC shows 14L/100KM

hsiengloong1985;581876 said:
Guess there's something wrong with my OBC then. If i recall my last petrol pump was RM80 (38L) with Ron97 Petronas and it got me approx 320kM which is about 11.87L/100KM but my OBC shows 14L/100KM

Have you tried resetting your OBC from the Control Display (i-Drive)? Change it to km/L and then change back to L/100km...that will change the reading. Not sure if this helps?

hsiengloong1985;581876 said:

Reset your counter. You might be seeing a lifetime reading since day 1.

I did the reset to my OBC last month (but not thru Idrive but rather the conventional method i.e. pressing the button on the dashboard). Previously it was 16L/100KM but now after resetting its 14L/100KM.

As a matter of fact, how accurate is the OBC's FC reading?

Why do you say that AB? I've compared it with manual computations and found it to be very accurate.

hsiengloong, there are 2 FCs in the OBC: trip computer and total computer. Please ensure you know which is which. I've reset my trip before to measure specific trips or periods, but never my total, so that gives me a reading of av FC and av speed from day one. :top:

PS: The correct way to compute manually is full tank to full tank distance. no guesswork involved.

hsiengloong, I just filled gas on the way home and had a look in my system. The trip computer is called 'Journey Computer' and the total computer is just called 'Computer'. Neither one is reset when you press the button in the dash, so you didn't reset your FC at all. You only reset your dash display mileage counter. Resetting of both 'Journey Computer' and 'Computer' FC is through iDrive, or OBC if you don't have iDrive.

The FC showing in the dash display is the 'Computer' figure, ie the total av FC from day one (unless you've reset it before)

Hi Scwepps,

Thanks for the response. If my memory serves me right, i did a total reset on the system by pressing the button on the dash. forgot exactly how i did it, but roughly here it goes.

Thru my OBC, i chose the FC counter and i pushed the button on the dash for like 4-5 seconds. After that the OBC reflects a very very high FC level eg. 40:/100KM and after a couple of minutes it shot down to around 15L/100KM.

Both the OBC and Idrive results correlates when i did that reset so i'm pretty sure that i did a master reset.

Thanks

Top Bottom