Headbanging FC !!!!!!!!!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
vman;681380 said:
yup got a quote from inner power rm400 for the 02 sensor.

Got it from my mechanic euro parts supplier. mine was from hella big yellow box. The funny thing is the seal around my new one was green colour similiar to pictures of the sensor on the internet. but one of my existing one had yellow seal. not sure if any difference.

slyder;681861 said:
Got it from my mechanic euro parts supplier. mine was from hella big yellow box. The funny thing is the seal around my new one was green colour similiar to pictures of the sensor on the internet. but one of my existing one had yellow seal. not sure if any difference.

haha no idea for the colour difference bro. how did it go? your FC improved ?? km per tank ?? by the way how much did you get it for.
yesterday i took out my O2 sensor and cleaned. this is what i did.

1) soak the 02 sensor in thinner for 30min
2) took it out and gave so indirect heat from a lighter
3)wipe it with a cloth
4)repeated 1,2,3, again
5) fix back 02 sensor

results:
1) not much carbon was cleaned ( visually look ok, as can feel the metal already)
2) today morning drive to work first 2 gear felt slightly lighter on acceleration
3) home to office 25km. mix driving slow crawls and highway. fuel gauge 1/4 tank and OBD started at home at 113km and at office 134km( never happened)
4) its early to tell online tricks worked. but positive signs ---> and a friend recommend soaking in petrol. next test on servicing )2 sensor. worst case get a new 1.
5) yet to check with diagnostic tool
6)finally i could be wrong and there is no difference, syok sendiri , since i tried to DIY .... hahaha

i also tried clean the sensor last time with contact cleaner and sand paper but nothing improved. still same FC.

Just share my recent experience.

Car setup;
325i M50
K&N filter with stock airbox
Removed the baffle & snorkel

By removing the snorkel my fuel consumption had an noticeable increase. With the snorkel, I could travel 26.4KM*5(days) with RM30 worth of RON95. Without the snorkel, my RM30 only lasted 3days. This happened over the course of 2weeks.

After fitting the snorkel back, FC was back to normal.

Chrix;682135 said:
Just share my recent experience.

Car setup;
325i M50
K&N filter with stock airbox
Removed the baffle & snorkel

By removing the snorkel my fuel consumption had an noticeable increase. With the snorkel, I could travel 26.4KM*5(days) with RM30 worth of RON95. Without the snorkel, my RM30 only lasted 3days. This happened over the course of 2weeks.

After fitting the snorkel back, FC was back to normal.

can it due to hot air entering intake which alters performance/FC ??? what the mileage you're getting pertank ??

Galaxy7;682038 said:
i also tried clean the sensor last time with contact cleaner and sand paper but nothing improved. still same FC.

haha. looking at the fuel gauge starting to think that it could be false alarm. so galaxy7. what did you do bout the consumption?? change the 02sensor and any different ??

vman;682169 said:
haha. looking at the fuel gauge starting to think that it could be false alarm. so galaxy7. what did you do bout the consumption?? change the 02sensor and any different ??

i plan to change the sensor next month. currently my fc not so bad la, can get around 400km for rm100 petrol(ron95) city driving. if highway can get around 600km. mine got 2 sensors at front but only 1 problem (cylinder 4-6). for cylinder 1-3 ok, no problem.

my car running in stock condition. no modified. 16inches rim.

Galaxy7;682209 said:
i plan to change the sensor next month. currently my fc not so bad la, can get around 400km for rm100 petrol(ron95) city driving. if highway can get around 600km. mine got 2 sensors at front but only 1 problem (cylinder 4-6). for cylinder 1-3 ok, no problem.

my car running in stock condition. no modified. 16inches rim.

400km is not too bad la. mine oni 330-350km city oni. full highway belum test. mine cat converter sudah cabut. so i'm listing 1 by 1 to rectify what is making my FC is hihg. but looking at it $$$ to rectify also is high. the list goes like this

1. 02 sensor ( 1 unit only on M50)
2. Exhaust system. Cat converter has been replaced with 2 bullets.
3. sparkplugs ( combustion capabilities ) any1 notice any difference in Iridium or platinum plugs ?? any recommendation ?
4. mechanic masuk 7.7 liter engine oil ( he said standard not too much loading). a sifu mention to me 5.5-6liter enough as long as maintain midrange on dipstick is sufficient.
5.clean injectors and service MAF
6.lastly flush engine and gearbox
7. all this doesnt work i convert to manual ..... hahaha

vman;682158 said:
can it due to hot air entering intake which alters performance/FC ??? what the mileage you're getting pertank ??

Thats what I thought, however I've removed my fog light and there should be tons of cooler air entering the airbox inlet. Then again, this is highly unscientific. I guess it makes sense, more air = more fuel?

I also plan to change my 02 sensor since the last owner didnt say he replaced it. However at RM400, gotta save another month lol

Btw VMAN, could it be fuel filter?

Chrix;682434 said:
Thats what I thought, however I've removed my fog light and there should be tons of cooler air entering the airbox inlet. Then again, this is highly unscientific. I guess it makes sense, more air = more fuel?

I also plan to change my 02 sensor since the last owner didnt say he replaced it. However at RM400, gotta save another month lol

Btw VMAN, could it be fuel filter?

i don't see how fuel filter could affect FC. because if the fuel filter is sumbat, the only issue could be ur fuel pump will work harder and maybe your top end power is restricted as fuel flow not so nice. so overall maybe with a new fuel filter maybe running condition smoother but i dont see it harming FC (IMO). any1 can rectify this.

btw, just bought myself a pair of cat converter. so will install it wen soon. anyone can recommend me an exhaust shop to help me weld back my cat converter ??

slyder;681861 said:

after replacing the 02 sensor how much difference in performanc and FC were you getting ??

I have changed my O2 sensor before. No difference to my 325.

In Penang town driving, I get about 350km for RM100.

vman;682629 said:
after replacing the 02 sensor how much difference in performanc and FC were you getting ??

I have replaced one at the moment as the computer diagnosed only one. after replacement the error code hasnt gone away so still checking. might be replacing the other one as well. but funny thing is i cant seem to find my 2 post cat sensors. anyone knows the exact location of the other 2 post cat sensors? mine is a 328. but on the slight note the fc has just improved slightly.

updates. have installed the catalytic convertors back to system.

performance : lower rev response is so much better minimal throttle gets it moving esp below 3000 revs. mid power seems to be lost slightly. the Gpull are have decreased slightly after 4000rpm but on cruising at 120-140 km/h very minimal throttle required to maintain speed as compared to before. so as performance you cant have both worlds i guess.

FC: cant comment yet, have to tested on a full tank. but on OBD reduce from 14l/100km to 11-12.5l/100km . but still early days to comment on the FC

bro vman,
have u tried disconnect the car battery for 2-3hours then connect it back. it will reset the ECU rich fuel setting if the previous owner had a heavy right foot habit. at least it works for my car to reduce the fc.

Good to hear. I do how ever have a very interesting update on my side. have went under the car to look for the two post cat o2 sensor. Even to check near the fuel filter area where the sockets are located. it seems like on mine the cover for the fuel filter is missing and there doesnt seem to be any sockets there. therefore no post cat o2 sensor. meaning my 328 only has 2 pre-cat o2 sensor. anyone can advice or comment as my unit is local malaysia unit as far as i can tell and its from end of 1995 year meaning the first production run. most likely to be obd1 not obd2 model.

galaxy: bro, u should share this earlier la. hahaha. okok will try tonite and see how it goes.

iceman : nothin fancy la , bro. rubbish welding job( cap ayam 1) just made sure no leaking. cheap job. coz at the moment potong so many times looks aso so ugly. if it works will head to a proper shop to do it properly. anyhow will upload on the pix soon.

slyder: cant help you on those. looked thru the e36 manual oni jumpa for 325, 318 and m3 exhaust systems. probably other sifu can give u and input on this

additional info : today for the 1st time i filled up full tank, as i dont use card normally. just pump rm80. i noticed that my fuel needle did not reach full. oni sampai between 45L - 60L. how to adjust this. could this effect/fool the OBD reading ? how to correct this ?? i'm guessing some leveler in the fuel tank or something?? and a friend of mine said to check fuel tank leaking or not. so far no traces or leaking. but how much a recond e36 fuel tank cost??

Well from i have research so far by right the model should have 4 o2 sensor. 2 precat 2 post cat. donno if there was a difference in the local models. so far all service manual shows 4..... vman, full tank should he around 110 for ron 95 for about 58 liters. if you plan to change fuel tank, perhaps should look for the m3 racing tanks. i read somewhere i think they have dual tank for racing purposes.:p

Top Bottom