E60 jerk..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi Guys,

I have a different situation, On normal driving, the transmission swifts smoothly. excellent torque to push the car. However on a few occasion when I accelerate hard from a coasting situation(leg off accelerator), the carsuffers minor jerks before shifting down and launching forward.

My observation is the car could be stuck in high gear and with the power delay may be causing the jerk. However, I may be wrong. Anyone out there facing a similar problem or have advice on how to solve this problem.

I am actually surprise to read that so many BMW cars are having gearbox issues.Other than that the car is a dream.

Thanks.

I had the same problem too. And initially thought it was because the car did not know/was not quick enough to shift to lower gear. Then later other problems like jerking from stop to accelaration came up.

Now the car is in the workshop of a gearbox overhaul. According to the mechanic, there are some faulty parts in the gearbox but havent had time to check in detail. The car should be ready nex week.

Will post here on the actual issues in the gearbox once i find out.

bros, change transmission fluid...

some people say every 60,000km, some say every 40,000

but i change every year or about every 25,000-30,000...

tukar jangan tak tukar bros...

Teej;520104 said:
I had the same problem too. And initially thought it was because the car did not know/was not quick enough to shift to lower gear. Then later other problems like jerking from stop to accelaration came up.

Now the car is in the workshop of a gearbox overhaul. According to the mechanic, there are some faulty parts in the gearbox but havent had time to check in detail. The car should be ready nex week.

Will post here on the actual issues in the gearbox once i find out.

Teej, mind to share what is the indicated cost quoted for the overhaul? will really appreciate your feedback and the parts that are being replaced.

Sure thing,

Just got news that the car is ready and it works great. The total cost was 9k, i will get more details tomorrow on what was wrong and what was done when im back in Penang.

Btw, before sending for the overhaul, i did change the ATF, filter and some sort of oil or sth, but the problem did not go away, guess the damage was permanent by then.

Teej;520258 said:
Sure thing,

Just got news that the car is ready and it works great. The total cost was 9k, i will get more details tomorrow on what was wrong and what was done when im back in Penang.

Btw, before sending for the overhaul, i did change the ATF, filter and some sort of oil or sth, but the problem did not go away, guess the damage was permanent by then.

Teej,
Yes la i guess too late by then, nasi sudah jadi bubur :)

stevenallgood, yes i did change the filter as well. For e60, the cost should be about RM1,500 all in if u do it outside.

Hahaha Peter, you are right :) , I drove it in that condition for quite a while as was deliberating on getting an A4, but in the end decided to keep E60 for a little while more.

Anyway, i finally got to drive the car today and the transmission is fine now for normal driving.

There are still 2 issues that i find:

1)When the vehicle comes to a stop, there will b a slight jerk (very minor, but noticable) when it changes to first gear i believe.

2)During maximum acceleration from almost standstill (will the pedal fullly suppressed), i get the situation as steven has, the car will hesitate for a while before suddenly going to low gear and launching forward. It happens sometimes but not always.

I am going to meet the mechanic tomorrow to get complete info on what was done on the car and see if the issues above can be solve.

On a side note, has anyone experience a very loud noise from the engine fan after some hard driving? For my case it comes and goes.

Hi Teej, glad u got ur car back. Hope u can solve the problem. Let us know what ur mechanic says. I intend to change the transmission oil first then see what happens.

regarding the noise from the fan, is it becos it is moving at a higher speed. the fan speed varies depending on the temperature of the engine.

im crazy abt having E60 recently,,,, but after i view such a problem on this gearbox...it's etter take recond or used ABavaria ???

wolverine95;512972 said:
1st of all, i think u've been had... could it be possible that a UK '05 hv only 37K km on it? They mite have tempered with the mileage.. anyway, if yours is a new generation engine with the push start, i guess you could check the real mileage by submitting your key to AB... ( I heard la...)

Anyway, experts told me that my jerk could only be solved by changing the valve body (or BMW calls it mechatronics..). Since it is very expensive and the jerk is not so bad (and not dangerous, or wouldn't be worsening with time), I'll let it be, coz the cost to change the mechatronics is obsenely expensive!!

Anyway, maybe you should try transmission adaptation first...

wolverine,

I have done my valve body servicing for my 320 E90 at Mscope in Batu caves. This is due to the problem on the solenoid and the symptom is same as yours. Car jerks and slammed into 1st gear when going to full stop.Cost is around 4.5K to change all the 7 solenoids for ZF 6HP19 and inclusive of labour and reprogramming works. Now the problem solved!

Went to the mechanics shop today, and below is the summary of the repairs done. Im not good with cars so i will try to explain as much as i understand :)

The ATF has loss it viscosity, causing the gears to rub hard againts each other due to high friction, according to my grandfather who witness the dismantling, the gears wear damage which cause it to slipped.

They replace the internals of the gearbox with new wheels and change a second hand valve body. The minor jerk during stop is caused by the 2nd hand valve body. If im not sastisfy, they can change it to a new one which will cost 7,500 compared to the 2nd hand unit at 3,500.

Total cost of the repair was 8,600 with new gears and 2nd hand valve body.

So the moral of the story is, despite what BMW claims, consistently change the ATF after 100,000 km (advice from the mechanic).

Hope it helps.....

Another thing, the valve body was damage because during the rubbing of the gears the metal dust accumulated in the valve body damaging the solenoid valves (not sure if it make sense).

If you guys have further question, i can post it to the mechanic who did the work.

nizar;505164 said:
I just got my 2005 E60 525 UK spec clocking 37k km last week. I was told that E60 gear shift should be very smooth. If the gear shifts (particularly the lower gears) is so smooth as claimed, we will not be able to notice a gear shift unless i we look at the RPM.

I am not experiencing an obvius jerk in the gear shift but I can feel and notice (without looking at the RPM meter) the gear shift especially in the lower gears. Is this normal?

Guys out there please share some tips.........

Hi Nizar,

Perhaps you could intro yourself in the Newbies section 1st?

Much appreciated.

Cheers :)

edwingerard;484803 said:
Hi all...i just got myself a beamer E60 uk spec..excellent driving performance..However noticed that each time the car stops at thetraffic light for an instance, the car jerks a couple of times..Only worried if it is gear box issue..please advise.

Hi there,

Perhaps you could intro yourself in the Newbies 1st?

Much appreciated

Cheers :)

Teej;520771 said:
Went to the mechanics shop today, and below is the summary of the repairs done. Im not good with cars so i will try to explain as much as i understand :)

The ATF has loss it viscosity, causing the gears to rub hard againts each other due to high friction, according to my grandfather who witness the dismantling, the gears wear damage which cause it to slipped.

They replace the internals of the gearbox with new wheels and change a second hand valve body. The minor jerk during stop is caused by the 2nd hand valve body. If im not sastisfy, they can change it to a new one which will cost 7,500 compared to the 2nd hand unit at 3,500.

Total cost of the repair was 8,600 with new gears and 2nd hand valve body.

So the moral of the story is, despite what BMW claims, consistently change the ATF after 100,000 km (advice from the mechanic).

Hope it helps.....

Thanks Teej for the info. I just changed the transission fluid and filter housing today. ya the fluid is very dirty. Serviced the car and replace the brake pads.

car seem better to drive. Will be driving lond distance tomorrow. keeping my finger crossed..:wink::rock:

Hi Steven,

Ya hopefully your car is fine and the oil was change without any permanent damage like mine :)

Good luck!

Good day all,

I'm just wondering which model of the ZF Transmission does the E60 with the M54 engine runs on. I've got a statement from Auto Bavaria that there are no replaceable parts for that transmission. Can anyone please verify that claim? Cos my transmission is acting up again lately, experiencing the dreaded transmission slam. I was told by Auto Bavaria to change my whole gearbox which is about RM35K!

Cheers,

Teej;521245 said:
Hi Steven,

Ya hopefully your car is fine and the oil was change without any permanent damage like mine :)

Good luck!

Hi Teej,

How is yr GB performing? hope it is going great after the investment.

My car is performing ok (so far so good) after the change of the transmission fluid, however, I am a little worried about the fluid that was poured in. I believe the actual fluid shoud be the ZF lifelong fluid, but what was poured in was the ZF semi-synthetic fluid. Is it alright to use this fluid?

I am concern that the wrong fluid will cause irrepairable damages

To all sifus, can this fluid be used or do I need to get the worshop to change to ZF lifelong fluid? I have changed the filter housing as well. If I need to change to ZF lifelong fluid, do I need to change the filter again?

Thanks, Steven

Tranny Model for E60

E60MSport;523436 said:
Good day all,

I'm just wondering which model of the ZF Transmission does the E60 with the M54 engine runs on. I've got a statement from Auto Bavaria that there are no replaceable parts for that transmission. Can anyone please verify that claim? Cos my transmission is acting up again lately, experiencing the dreaded transmission slam. I was told by Auto Bavaria to change my whole gearbox which is about RM35K!

Cheers,

Msport:
From what I know, all E60 M54 engine variants (B22, B25, B30) are using the transmission name-coded GA6HP19ZF. Not sure how much the gearbox would cost, but the mechatronics (valve body) alone would cost RM7400 if you buy from Bavarian Auto..

Hope that helps.

:)

Top Bottom