e39 which one is the best spec..?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bimmerholic;412021 said:
Thanks for the reply B5.
I've been browsing some of the e39s in this forum and some has the in-dash sat-nav. They also did say it's a Japan unit.

I've also seen some e39 with a much smaller sceen with phone numpads( i think) at the side of the screen. And it has TV tuner as well. Anyone knows which model is it and weather it's Japan/UK?

Japan spec are very easy to tell. On the exterior. the front and rear license plate holder is the small square size type where the alphabets have to be stacked on top of the number. Same size as american plates. Euro spec or Malaysian spec the number plate is standard ractangular longish type.

Secondly, look in the engine bay. Japan specs will have the information stickers written in Japanese usually for the a/c info.Also check the label in the fuel filler flap. Japanese info = japan spec.

The 4:3 or 16:4 Sat Nav unit exist for all CBU models, Japanese or Euro. But Japanese will have the menu info in Japanese, not English. CBU recond England cars will have the speedometer nmajor markings in Miles/h and minor markings in km/h . The CBU from Germany will only have the speedometer markings only in km/h. CKD cars will have APM name plates in the engine bay, CBU's does not have these name plates.

Right now, the cars are so old, does not matter Japan spec or what ever spec. If good condition, you like it, just buy. why worry? sure u have to spend money one once you buy. Be it what spec...

azan23uk;411869 said:
Ur welcome

Originally Posted by bimmerholic
hie, tumpang a bit ya...

How to differentiate from a CBU and a CKD?

1) Say for instance, there's 2 e39s..i.e both 523i or both 525i in front of you.
Now by looking at the exterior, can one tell if either one is a CBU or a CKD?

The 190bhp 525i only came up in 1998/99. So if the 525i in front of you is a pre 1998, then you've got a car wt shady history. Some grey importers rebadge 523i into 525i and sell at a premium.

Yes. One tell tale is local one got glass labelled 'MSG' and imported ones are 'Secursiv'. Look at the bottom part of the glass. CKD also no sunroof i think. But bear in mind that 528i sold by Auto Bav is a CBU unit. But you can always call BMW Malaysia centre, give them the VIN number and they can tell you where the car was first sold. UK, Japan, Malaysia, S'pore etc.

How does a VIN number differ from a CBU,Japan,UK,local spec unit?

I have not done research on that one.

2) I did come across some models termed 523i se. Is this a CBU unit?

Can be both CBU or CKD. Check the glass and finally call BMW Malaysia Centre.

3) When we say CBU, it means it's completely built up from Germany? Can it be from any other plants in another country?

I think it can be S.Africa also. Not sure

4) So now when we say it's a Japan or a UK spec, does that mean it's CBU for us as well?

Yes

5) Do we classify Japan/UK spec as grey imports?
Yes

All in all, I know that CBU has better sound proving and dampening materials on the chasis. Apart from that, is there anything else that differ from a CKD?

No evidence to claim that CBU has better sound damping. But makes sense also as CKD unit do not need those winter insulation.

Thanks in advance.

It also makes sense that CKD costs a lot cheaper due to the lesser cost of not equipping it with much insulation compared to CBU.

bimmerholic;412194 said:
It also makes sense that CKD costs a lot cheaper due to the lesser cost of not equipping it with much insulation compared to CBU.

BMW CKDs are not very CKD, more of SKD.

wc9922;412111 said:
Japan spec are very easy to tell. On the exterior. the front and rear license plate holder is the small square size type where the alphabets have to be stacked on top of the number. Same size as american plates. Euro spec or Malaysian spec the number plate is standard ractangular longish type.

Secondly, look in the engine bay. Japan specs will have the information stickers written in Japanese usually for the a/c info.Also check the label in the fuel filler flap. Japanese info = japan spec.

The 4:3 or 16:4 Sat Nav unit exist for all CBU models, Japanese or Euro. But Japanese will have the menu info in Japanese, not English. CBU recond England cars will have the speedometer nmajor markings in Miles/h and minor markings in km/h . The CBU from Germany will only have the speedometer markings only in km/h. CKD cars will have APM name plates in the engine bay, CBU's does not have these name plates.

Right now, the cars are so old, does not matter Japan spec or what ever spec. If good condition, you like it, just buy. why worry? sure u have to spend money one once you buy. Be it what spec...

Noted the differences. Thanks very much. I agree with you on your final line. Just that i'm looking for an all rounder (at the very best) for a e39. Meaning, if it's at all possible to have a e39 525i or 528i that comes with cream electric memory leather seats, sat-nav (eng), tv tuner, beige interior panels, sunroof and such...i'd jump on it...while having the right price at the same time. :wink: else the search is still on....

I forgot to mention another thing.

There are some e39s where the wipers starts sweeping from right to left (R-L) of the windscreen. And some that starts to sweep from left to right (L-R) of the windscreen (like the local protons and Japs).

Is it safe for me to say that if it's for the former, it is a Bavarian unit while the latter is either UK/Jap unit?
Considering the fact that, in Europe they're left hand drives therefore, the wiper sweeps from R-L.

Well, the same goes for the indicators...the conti's have them on the left side of the steering wheel. [Exception for the Proton Wajas, Gen2s and the likes for some ODD reasons]

bimmerholic;412308 said:
Noted the differences. Thanks very much. I agree with you on your final line. Just that i'm looking for an all rounder (at the very best) for a e39. Meaning, if it's at all possible to have a e39 525i or 528i that comes with cream electric memory leather seats, sat-nav (eng), tv tuner, beige interior panels, sunroof and such...i'd jump on it...while having the right price at the same time. :wink: else the search is still on....

That sounds like the description of my 2001 525i.

bimmerholic;412308 said:
Meaning, if it's at all possible to have a e39 525i or 528i that comes with cream electric memory leather seats, sat-nav (eng), tv tuner, beige interior panels, sunroof and such....

ya ya..i'm also seeking something like above..:top:

bimmerholic;412457 said:
Whoa....mind linking me to your showroom, Mr. Fahrer :smokin:

Sorry I have no pics of my ride. It's a Japan Spec. Oxford green. Original spec. 192 bhp. 16 inch rims. Beige interior.TV monitor, multi function steering, sunroof. Roller blind. Wooden trimming.

So far I have no intention of selling it. That's the problem when you drive an E39. It's not easy to find a good substitute.

funfer_fahrer;412460 said:
Sorry I have no pics of my ride. It's a Japan Spec. Oxford green. Original spec. 192 bhp. 16 inch rims. Beige interior.TV monitor, multi function steering, sunroof. Roller blind. Wooden trimming.

So far I have no intention of selling it. That's the problem when you drive an E39. It's not easy to find a good substitute.

Lovely. 100% agree with you. I've fallen in love with E39 since it's debut. It's seductive! :canabis:

It's a 525i M-sport ain't it? What did you do to your Japan spec Tv-Monitor unit...You picked up Japanese?
Does all electric seats equipped with memory function?

bimmerholic;412313 said:
I forgot to mention another thing.

There are some e39s where the wipers starts sweeping from right to left (R-L) of the windscreen. And some that starts to sweep from left to right (L-R) of the windscreen (like the local protons and Japs).

Is it safe for me to say that if it's for the former, it is a Bavarian unit while the latter is either UK/Jap unit?
Considering the fact that, in Europe they're left hand drives therefore, the wiper sweeps from R-L.

Well, the same goes for the indicators...the conti's have them on the left side of the steering wheel. [Exception for the Proton Wajas, Gen2s and the likes for some ODD reasons]

Can I have some inputs for the above. Just for confirmation sake. Thanks.

bimmerholic;412492 said:
Lovely. 100% agree with you. I've fallen in love with E39 since it's debut. It's seductive! :canabis:

It's a 525i M-sport ain't it? What did you do to your Japan spec Tv-Monitor unit...You picked up Japanese?
Does all electric seats equipped with memory function?

No it is not an M-Sport. Just a standard spec. Fell in love with the condition of the car. So, it didn't really matter to me which spec. Everything was in working condition - multi function steering, sunroof, electric rollerblind, electric seats (only the driver seat comes with memory function), TV (surprisingly, it's working - no modification is necessary. The menu is all in English. You can change it back to Japanese if you like. I don't know the the fuss is all about. It goes blank when the car in motion, but the sound is not cancelled). With regard to the navigation system, initially I wanted to use BMW CD. When I found Garmin handheld, I didn't really bother about the BMW GPS function. But I do use the on board computer a lot. Just to monitor my distance remaining vs fuel remaining and fuel consumption. I have the choice of installing Garmin program with existing TV monitor. We're talking RM5000 here to get it installed. So, I cancelled the plan. When I get used to the handheld Garmin on my windscreen, I think that's the most practical solution. Almost same level with my eye when installed on the windscreen, and I can used it as a pedestrian, cycling or use it on an overseas trip. Very easy to get updated as well. Cracked version are everywhere. The car is now 8 years old. No squeaking sound or whatsoever. Engine is still smooth. When I drove an E60 I could hear sounds of panels rubbing against each other. I hope I was wrong. The E39 is the most handsome BMW I've ever seen. Take a look at any angle. My favourite view is the front view - slightly oversized grill with fenders sweeping gently to the sides. Aggressive yet elegant stance. It was once the world's best car. And now possibly world's best used car. I am just wondering what is the best replacement car for my E39? E60? Nope. E90? Nope. E65/66? Hmm.. E38? Maybe. E39 M5? More likely.:love:

I've made the same transformation 4 years back. I used a Perdana for 6 years, (no gearbox problem as people reported), went as fast as 180km/h quite easily (200km/h never try. I don't it can, may be can but with strong vibration..). maintenace wise, my rule of of thumb is 2X (at least) the cost of maintaining a perdana. but generally, for an average working people like me, I would say E39 maintenance is pretty reasonable. fuel consumption 9.7l/100km. Actual not OBD. similar like Perdana. not so much for rich people nowadays..

being an orang kampung, I thought V6 is the best car but once purchased I never turned back. tried E34 but not so convincing as E39. I mean E39 is so damned comfortable and poweful..

my ride: 523i 99' UK spec and riding 120-150kms happily everyday. enough for my taste. max speed tried is 230km/h with original set-up. normally 140-160km/h. relax aje..

have fun!

Squeaks & Car Mat clips

funfer_fahrer;412506 said:
.... The car is now 8 years old. No squeaking sound or whatsoever. Engine is still smooth. When I drove an E60 I could hear sounds of panels rubbing against each other...

Members & forummers,

My car starts to emit this rubber door seals squeaks. i believe its the sound of the door seal rubber against the body. Is there any ways i can eliminate the sound? Its not that loud...but the car is so silent that u cant avoid but to feel iritated by it.

Also, i went to wash the car when balik kampung and one of the budak basuh went fo the ritual of slamming the mat against a tree to dislodge the dust. And two mat clips went flying as well. Sakit hati...Any idea where to find the replacement?

My car's beige interior 528i 2000 UK spec.

azan23uk;412805 said:
Members & forummers,

My car starts to emit this rubber door seals squeaks. i believe its the sound of the door seal rubber against the body. Is there any ways i can eliminate the sound? Its not that loud...but the car is so silent that u cant avoid but to feel iritated by it.

Also, i went to wash the car when balik kampung and one of the budak basuh went fo the ritual of slamming the mat against a tree to dislodge the dust. And two mat clips went flying as well. Sakit hati...Any idea where to find the replacement?

My car's beige interior 528i 2000 UK spec.

It might not be the rubber door seal. Chances are the door side step protectors worn. When this happens it started to expand (especially the rear ones) and started rubbing against the underside of the door.

The plastic lock (part number 51478183029) costs RM5.86 each whereas the the black round clip (part number 51471881521) costs RM1.23 each. I got it both from AB Glenmarie. After a while I didn't bother to replace the clips. They are so fragile and easily broken. I spent almost RM30 for a set of 4 lock and clip. I felt so stupid now.

hi all sifus,
got a question here? i'm looking for e39 and finally found this car in mudah.com..is it ok? found out the steering is different? is it ori or changed by the owner?
here are some info:
Price: RM 85 000 Reg. year: 2003 Mileage: 65 000 - 69 999
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 69,111 miles, Metallic Sterling Grey with Grey Leather, 1 Owner. ONE PRIVATE OWNER, Full BMW Service History, PDI Plus 5 Stamps, Electric Glass Sunroof, Sport Seats with Hamstring Adjustment, M-Sports Suspension, M-Aerodynamics Package, Blue Tooth Phone Prep, Aluminium Interior Trim, 17" M-Alloys, Climate Control

Nice choice, the later M-sport streeing is shared with the E46 so it is correct. And the discription and looking at the pic, it seem to b a true M-sport, the only slight let down is the OBC display where it is still the pre facelifted one. Nonetheless, it is extremely difficult to find a gem with such spec now a day.
I just feel that you need to be a bit careful as the price stated is a little too good to be true with a E39 M sport 03'. The market value of this car is at least 100k if not more. Notice that there isn't contact number in the ad so I assume you will need to get in touch with the seller via email. Do keep us posted the seller reply. Cheers!

hi there,
the owner just replied via email...he said now he's back home in italy, bought this car when he was in malaysia...working here for two years in waste mgmt...he bought cash n if keen to buy we need to discuss further on payment and shipment...how ah?:17: takut oooo...kena conned mati oooo...

deng99;413118 said:
hi there,
the owner just replied via email...he said now he's back home in italy, bought this car when he was in malaysia...working here for two years in waste mgmt...he bought cash n if keen to buy we need to discuss further on payment and shipment...how ah?:17: takut oooo...kena conned mati oooo...

Shipment? Where's the car now? Please don't tell me it is in Italy.

Top Bottom