bmw tyre lock nuts ( 4pieces) - rm 168

xstatic;537566 said:
Just to share...

steering rack (brand new) - rm 3400
fan belt (continental0 - rm68
steering hose (tank to pump) - rm 155
steering hosse (tank to cooler) - rm165
bmw tyre lock nuts ( 4pieces) - rm 168

What's the symptom of your steering rack going bust? well apart from leaking and all....was there any loud grinding/vibration/noise of that sort?

bimmerholic;537630 said:
What's the symptom of your steering rack going bust? well apart from leaking and all....was there any loud grinding/vibration/noise of that sort?

Well, I've actually had 3 steering racks in 4 yrs!

It all begin 2 yrs after I purchase the car. The first symptom i had was a thud sound when making full turn on either side. No free play. There was no oil leak. First thought was lower arm, or tie rod, brought it to my mech and after checking decided that the rack was giving problem. Change Rack. Its a recondition rack with 3 months warranty. Cost me rm 1800. All problems solved!

After approx 15 months, steering feels very heavy, minimal oil loss. No free play. At times, difficult to get out of parking lots. Symptom comes on and off, been trying to monitor if there's any leak. Slight loss in fluid but ther's no oil stain to be found. *curious*. I've ruled the tie rod, lower arms..bla bla bla cause prior to this, I've changed everything there is to changed. Been driving around for the next 2-3 months, couldnt take it anymore.( how can a bimmer handles as such?) Brought it to my mech, upon removing the booths that coversthe tie rod, found out that the oil are all trapped inside. (that explains why there isnt any oil stain!).
Guess what? Yup, you've answered correctly...CHANGED RACK! This time, I insist on a brand new original rack, but luck went out. search throughout pj and kl, couldnt get any stockist that have the parts in stock! Since its like dire emergency, I've gotta changed no matter what, and yes, you've got right answer again, RECOND RACK! Damn! Cost rm 1200 with 3 months warranty.

Well, after putting the rack, say 2 weeks later, felt the car have some free play , steering seems to wander at times. Was on and off again..till one day, after only 5 weeks, all hell break lose, steering rack was leaking. From the reservoir, notice the oil was vanishing at an alarming rate. BAd news.

But god was on my side, happens before the 3 months warranty. Took it back, got my refund and the best news was, this time, my mech manage to get a brand new set from suan huat. Original bmw steering rack.

After installing, took it for a spin, and mind you, its a whole new different experience. All the recond or 2nd rack will nvr, i repeat, NEVER be able to give you the smooth and swift steering responds.

Get a new rack if budget permits, save the hassle and find out the true ultimate driving machine! ( make sure all the other wear and tear parts are changed la). I wasnt that priviliged enough to own a brand new e39 whe it was launch....but now I CAN!:rock:

Hope i didnt bore you to death...
cheers

xstatic;537732 said:
Well, I've actually had 3 steering racks in 4 yrs!

It all begin 2 yrs after I purchase the car. The first symptom i had was a thud sound when making full turn on either side. No free play. There was no oil leak. First thought was lower arm, or tie rod, brought it to my mech and after checking decided that the rack was giving problem. Change Rack. Its a recondition rack with 3 months warranty. Cost me rm 1800. All problems solved!

After approx 15 months, steering feels very heavy, minimal oil loss. No free play. At times, difficult to get out of parking lots. Symptom comes on and off, been trying to monitor if there's any leak. Slight loss in fluid but ther's no oil stain to be found. *curious*. I've ruled the tie rod, lower arms..bla bla bla cause prior to this, I've changed everything there is to changed. Been driving around for the next 2-3 months, couldnt take it anymore.( how can a bimmer handles as such?) Brought it to my mech, upon removing the booths that coversthe tie rod, found out that the oil are all trapped inside. (that explains why there isnt any oil stain!).
Guess what? Yup, you've answered correctly...CHANGED RACK! This time, I insist on a brand new original rack, but luck went out. search throughout pj and kl, couldnt get any stockist that have the parts in stock! Since its like dire emergency, I've gotta changed no matter what, and yes, you've got right answer again, RECOND RACK! Damn! Cost rm 1200 with 3 months warranty.

Well, after putting the rack, say 2 weeks later, felt the car have some free play , steering seems to wander at times. Was on and off again..till one day, after only 5 weeks, all hell break lose, steering rack was leaking. From the reservoir, notice the oil was vanishing at an alarming rate. BAd news.

But god was on my side, happens before the 3 months warranty. Took it back, got my refund and the best news was, this time, my mech manage to get a brand new set from suan huat. Original bmw steering rack.

After installing, took it for a spin, and mind you, its a whole new different experience. All the recond or 2nd rack will nvr, i repeat, NEVER be able to give you the smooth and swift steering responds.

Get a new rack if budget permits, save the hassle and find out the true ultimate driving machine! ( make sure all the other wear and tear parts are changed la). I wasnt that priviliged enough to own a brand new e39 whe it was launch....but now I CAN!:rock:

Hope i didnt bore you to death...
cheers

Boy that was an interesting read...what an experience. Thanks for sharing mate. The way you express the new feeling of the steering rack...makes me wanna run & go change mine! LOL!

My rack doesn't leak nor does it wonder but it is heavy nonetheless.

bimmerholic;537738 said:
Boy that was an interesting read...what an experience. Thanks for sharing mate. The way you express the new feeling of the steering rack...makes me wanna run & go change mine! LOL!

My rack doesn't leak nor does it wonder but it is heavy nonetheless.

I guess it depends on the extend of the the wear in the rack...but please do not have the impression that a bigger rims with wider tyre width will make your steering feels heavy. ( stupid of me to think of it when i first had the heavy steering feel). Under no circumstances the steering will feel heavy if the steering rack and the pump is doing what it is suppose to, be it 18,19 or even 20 inch! I've never felt the steering to be so light and agile before i changed to a new rack....

Somehow, this recond rack, even with new seals and all, still have a little resistance, a very slight one that you wont even notice unless u get to drive another car with a new rack...

As fo me, I manage to drive 2 recond and a brand new one to make a direct comparison. I'm not exaggerating, it does feel a lot lighter and crispier on the handling.

Im running 245/40/18...

From The President's Announcement,

noname.jpg

The 11th Charity Jam Session would be held back at RP , Saujana Resort (formerly known as Hyatt Regency Saujana) again this year which would be held on the 3rd of July, 2010 (Saturday). The event will be spearheaded by Malaysian Association of Hotels, Chefs Association of Malaysia, Malaysian Food & Beverage Executives Association and Malaysian Association of Housekeepers with The Saujana Hotel being the venue/co-organiser with participation of BMW Club Malaysia.

Activities for the day would include, performance by 17 bands from around Malaysia, car (BMW :rock:) display outside RP, biker's display etc. This occasion will further be promoted by the media with coverage in major newspaper's and magazines.

Proceeds to : Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (UMMC, KL), a dedicated care unit for the critically ill children from newborn to fourteen years of age. All proceeds will be used to purchase life saving equipment and subsidize the cost to care for these children.

Prior to this, affiliation was done with other clubs such as Porsche Club Malaysia , Harley Davidson etc . This year and with your help , maybe years to come we are proud to be associated with this noble event.

Day/Date : Saturday 3rd July 2010
Time : 2.00pm – 1.00am
Venue : RP Entertainment Centre (Tel : 03-78461234)
Saujana Resort,
Off Jalan Lapangan Terbang Subang.
Bands Performing :
Fats & Vernon
Zack & Lyia
Ghost Riders
Extreme
Union
Bala
Joe "Elvis" Rozario
President's Men
Sensations
Shahrin Band
Chemistry
Carbolic Smokeballs
Trinity
SWV
Pieces of April
SmallStones
d'Stags

The event will be filled with fun, food, music and booths selling merchandises...

All food and beverages (including Carlsberg Draft/Skol Beer/Fruit Juices) are priced at RM10.00 and are sold via coupons available through the Organisers & official partner BMW Club Malaysia and also at The Saujana Kuala Lumpur. Priced at RM100.00 per book of 10 coupons. Additional single coupons of RM10 can be purchased during the event.

There will be lucky draws using the coupons during the event. Attractive prizes such as handphones etc will be given away. Fun Auctions will also be held throughout the day.

We are proud to be the official partner for this noble event. As such , lets make us proud by helping the needy children as MUCH as we can. Lets strive to be the record breaker for the donation. They might not be our children but they could have been. So, lets give and give generously. Don't stop at individual donations. If u know of corporations willing to donate, please do make the effort. Donations will be in the form of coupons booklet. Each booklet contains ten coupons of RM10 which makes it RM100 per booklet/donation. Donations be it small or big are very much welcomed.

The coupons are to be used to purchase food & drinks as well as enter lucky draws throughout the day , if u attend the charity jam. U can also choose to just purchase the coupons purely as donations.

The donations (coupon purchase ) can be used for income tax deductions. As such, to those needing the receipts, please advise us of your details and we will arrange with the main organizers for the official receipts. It was requested that donations of RM200 and above request for the receipts due to the organizers logistical reasons. However if u do need receipts for Rm100 coupon purchase , I will forward the requests.

So come..come all to have fun while donating to a noble cause.

getting e39 525i

Dear all sifu's,

newbie here.wanted to buy e39 525i and need sifdu's advise to avoid lemon unit.Im familiar with merz and currently using w140 s280 and thinking wanted to experiance 'THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE'.Have heard from ppl that to maintain a BMW not cheap as compare to merc.Kindly advise on the manufacturing year,single or double vanos and local or imported spec and etc.thanks.

Hi Kingman,
Welcome to the forum,
as per our forum rules, please head to the Newbie section and do a proper intro of yourself.
As per the advice you are seeking for, you are at the right page..do a search, you will be answered off all your questions.

Good day buddy :)

My car pusher fan (aux fan) decided to go wrong after almost 9 years on the car...fan goes all wobbly and loses its low speed operation...bought the new original fan for rm1300 and decided to change the sensor f.auc as well which costs rm290...

weekend DIY...

deep3102;544456 said:
Wah DIY..wear n tear huh bro..

yup...it's a wear & tear item but not it takes a long long time to wear down. My original pusher fan went busted after 12yrs on the car. The coil got burnt and jammed the whole blardy motor. Replaced with another original fan last year.

Visiting Optimum Kayu Ara Yesterday for replacing Vanos seal (from Herbet) (RM250.00)
Then they noticed leaking on Vanos Hose (RM 156.00)
Need to change over Gasket set (ori) (RM178.00)
Valve cover rubber seals also changed (RM124.50)
Then Radiator top hose tak cantik (RM 176.00)
opps, Thermostat Housing c/w thermostat leaking (RM367.00), ori
eh.. Front Brake Disk nipis alreadi (RM756.00) 2 sets, ori + RM 25.00 wmanship
Front Brake Pad (RM436.00), ori
F Brake Sensor satu (RM42.00)
F Right Brake Hose bocor, tukar (RM96.00) + RM50 wmanship
Brake fluid, (RM38.00)
Coolant (RM49.00)

all in RM 2,800.00

ps.. next visit is for absorbers plak... Sach or Bilstern ( China made?)

rafamr;547162 said:
Visiting Optimum Kayu Ara Yesterday for replacing Vanos seal (from Herbet) (RM250.00)
Brake fluid, (RM38.00)
Coolant (RM49.00)

all in RM 2,800.00

Your ori brake rotor is a bit on the high side. I was quoted RM320 per piece by workshop. Cheaper if go to spare part myself.

Might be putting up my 5 months old Bilstien B12 with springs for sale soon. stay tuned.

rafamr;547162 said:
Brake fluid, (RM38.00)
Coolant (RM49.00)

all in RM 2,800.00

Damn....kena kapak liao..

Better to buy your parts on your own...you save a lot.

I thought the price looks OK. Always give and take, I think if workshop charges separately on the labour, there's 5% tax on the labour charges. Then, can workshop charge on per hour labour cost to owners, in most cases they can't because it may turn up more expensive. If that happens, I think we will all end up pure DIY and change our own brakes, do our own service. As long as there's some mark up but not a lot, I think it is acceptable. Unless can buy parts much much cheaper, than different story.

Yes, give and take, afterall that Mr J looks ok n willing to gives opinion on do's and don'ts.. Thanks

hi guys,

Just change few parts for my car:

Tie rod (LH and RH from TRW) =rm230
Power strg hose (tank to cooler) =rm85
Oring + hose clip =rm13
Labour for both parts= rm93

Next action is to check the wiring for A/C fan. The fan not running when i turn on the AC.
The root causes i guess is either the wiring itself or the condenser fan motor.
Have anyone experience this? TQ

flatline la this month.
Don't have the receipt with me right now.

Mass Airflow RM780
Throttle body RM1300 (I think)
Engine mounting RM280
Rear brake pads RM130 x 2 (I think)
Upper arm bush RM80x2 (I think)
Re-programme ECU/updates + labor ... all in RM3,300

+ today: Seat belt tensioner (2nd hand) RM300 + labour RM50. Airbag light on.. argghhh...

Top Bottom