E39 - Manual Trans

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I dunno if this helps, but the other day I went in with a friend to service his car at Motoren Sunway. They have E39 and 46 complete manual transformation incl ECU etc imported from UK. I saw a poster there and enquired. He said 12 - 14k if I recall correctly. I dont know anything bout this workshop nor the mechanic. Go see if this works for you. Just sharing

A few things to check and consider before your send your ride for manual tranny conversion, I had mine done and a few things still pending resolution:

1. passenger side auto-tilt during reverse not yet working, some wiring to be rectified
2. under certain condition, PDC doesn't come active after engaging reverse gear.
3. Make sure meter cluster is exactly the same type as what you have. Mine has 3 connectors, the one comes with manual tranny has only 2 connectors, workshop still looking for one for me. Without this, "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG" will always be lit

I'm using 5-speed GETRAG but not sure of the model but overall I'm satisfied with its performance (so far). RPM is relatively high comparing to previously with auto tranny.

100kph - 2500rpm
about 500rpm increment per 20kph increase
200kph - 5100rpm approx

Total damage about 17k.

Cheers.

Bro seewai, i'm shivering cold...17k is a lot of money..but you will have less headache n heartache after this..cheers

maxxsp;585256 said:
Installed by Ah Wai @ BMWorld/M Motor Garage :top:

Yup notice there was a 530 e39 sc recently undergoing the process from auto trans to manual too at Ah Wai place.

ssmann;589692 said:
I dunno if this helps, but the other day I went in with a friend to service his car at Motoren Sunway. They have E39 and 46 complete manual transformation incl ECU etc imported from UK. I saw a poster there and enquired. He said 12 - 14k if I recall correctly. I dont know anything bout this workshop nor the mechanic. Go see if this works for you. Just sharing

Hey.. Thanks For Sharing Mate Cheers

seewai;590096 said:
A few things to check and consider before your send your ride for manual tranny conversion, I had mine done and a few things still pending resolution:

1. passenger side auto-tilt during reverse not yet working, some wiring to be rectified
2. under certain condition, PDC doesn't come active after engaging reverse gear.
3. Make sure meter cluster is exactly the same type as what you have. Mine has 3 connectors, the one comes with manual tranny has only 2 connectors, workshop still looking for one for me. Without this, "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG" will always be lit

I'm using 5-speed GETRAG but not sure of the model but overall I'm satisfied with its performance (so far). RPM is relatively high comparing to previously with auto tranny.

100kph - 2500rpm
about 500rpm increment per 20kph increase
200kph - 5100rpm approx

Total damage about 17k.

Cheers.

Patients my friend... these are just minor hicups after conversion, it will perfect soon... mean while Have Fun & Cheers
May be next thing you can play is with the rear diff ratio's... !

mrbig;592266 said:
Yup notice there was a 530 e39 sc recently undergoing the process from auto trans to manual too at Ah Wai place.

that car is mad, twin screw torque damn high!

paultantk;584174 said:
my E39's clutch pedal is super light too even thought i used a used clutch from the UK that came with my gearbox. abit too light, i would prefer it to be a little heavier like the one on the new renault sport megane 250 cup :D

anyway, some pix updates:

155378_463239816005_713876005_6084896_7163977_n.jpg

76394_463245771005_713876005_6084955_7970252_n.jpg

Nice...Looks like the interior of some jet fighter ...

I highly recommend the weighted smaller ZHP gearknob for anyone who has a manual transmission. The shift action just feel so much more slicker somehow.

paultantk;593530 said:
I highly recommend the weighted smaller ZHP gearknob for anyone who has a manual transmission. The shift action just feel so much more slicker somehow.

I guess thats what people refer to as 'mental hp'. hehhehe cabuts

paultantk;593530 said:

Have you seen the lighted-gearknob being sold in ebay? Anyone installed it?

I have a spare lighted 5-speed gearknob, interested? Was using it before switching to ZHP cos I wanted a shorter gearknob.

paultantk;594345 said:
I have a spare lighted 5-speed gearknob, interested? Was using it before switching to ZHP cos I wanted a shorter gearknob.

Hi Paul, you've got PM.

Top Bottom