E39 - Manual Trans

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
haywire;551282 said:
I suppose you do realise thats only for the tax, not the price of the item.

Yea I believe my question was "did you get taxed", not "how much did the whole thing cost".

Now, my next question would be how much is the gearbox with all the thingamajig and shipping.

:)

The gearbox, flywheel and clutch was about RM4300, and I got RM1260 tax on this. The 3.15 differential from a manual 528i was about RM1200, and got taxed about RM150 on it. I probably shouldn't have bought the differential overseas, maybe can get cheaper here. All prices include shipping. So total just under RM7000.

Anyone else interested, there's a 5-speed manual here for sale:

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E36+M3+3+0+S50+Euro+5+speed+Manual+ZF+Gearbox-6725321.htm

I only saw this a few hours after I paid for my 5-speed manual. But mine is from a much newer car and I paid around RM5560 in total with shipping, clutch, flywheel and tax as compared to this 5-speed manual for RM6500.

paultantk;551301 said:
The gearbox, flywheel and clutch was about RM4300, and I got RM1260 tax on this. The 3.15 differential from a manual 528i was about RM1200, and got taxed about RM150 on it. I probably shouldn't have bought the differential overseas, maybe can get cheaper here. All prices include shipping. So total just under RM7000.

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E36+M3+3+0+S50+Euro+5+speed+Manual+ZF+Gearbox-6725321.htm

I only saw this a few hours after I paid for my 5-speed manual. But mine is from a much newer car and I paid around RM5560 in total with shipping, clutch, flywheel and tax as compared to this 5-speed manual for RM6500.

That's my friend's gearbox :).

That's the average price for E36 ZF conversion actually but for complete set. Getrag ones are much cheaper. So now you have to look for the shifter, linkages, clutch pump, long shaft, pedals etc.?

Ah so you're the person he said he's going to get the 6-speeder from! ;)

I went asking around and get quoted RM16k for a complete set of parts from a company that imports loads of parts in containers and they didn't seem very knowledgable about how to go about it so I didn't feel very confident.

Decided to just go look around on Ebay on my own... learning process step by step! Yeah, will have to look for those parts. My transmission is from a 2005 car with only 70k+ km mileage.

paultantk;551319 said:
Ah so you're the person he said he's going to get the 6-speeder from! ;)

I went asking around and get quoted RM16k for a complete set of parts from a company that imports loads of parts in containers and they didn't seem very knowledgable about how to go about it so I didn't feel very confident.

Decided to just go look around on Ebay on my own... learning process step by step! Yeah, will have to look for those parts. My transmission is from a 2005 car with only 70k+ km mileage.

Ehh no la I don't have a 6-speed for sale. Must've been someone else.

He's a good friend of mine who decided to make a change to BMW so we've been talking a lot about cars lately.

You could try emailing some BMW breakers in the UK. Who knows you might get some good deals there. Ebay is a great avenue but I hate it when the seller charges an exorbitant amount for shipping.

Yeah, I might just do that if I suddenly itchy wanna buy 6-speed pula :p Found some longshafts on Ebay, wonder if I should buy there or get here. Not sure if it's 100% compatible if I buy the standard 528i manual longshaft since my transmission isn't from an E39 (but my rear diff is).

paultantk;551301 said:

Can an E36 M3 gearbox fit into an E39 530i?

bimmerholic.. apa lagi... order lah.. i know where u can get a 6speed manual tranny if u need help...

I've been reading up and the generally it seems the US BMW forums agree that the ZF 5-speed manual is beefier than the Getrag 5-speed manual. Not sure about the 6-speeders. The gearbox I bought is a S5D 320Z made by ZF.

Got my BMW shift arm, UUC DSSR selector rod, and UUC EVO3 short shifter already. Master and slave cylinder is in KLIA waiting for me to collect. The rest will get my mechanic to source, my brain going crazy looking at the ETK already.

from what i know, the manual gearboxes for M4x and M5x are interchangeable... that's why I have an E36 325i getrag manualbox in my E30 mated to the M42.. And I can also put in the E46 M3 6 speed manual as well, just need to get the front portion of the prop shaft of the right length...

BTW, some manual gearboxes actually specified ATF instead of manual trans oil, like the Getrag250 I have, the sticker on the gearbox specified ATF only...

paultantk;482168 said:
Has anyone did a conversion and able to give pointers?

Conversion is very straight foward...... if you have all the barang barang. see & know a few happy owners having a Great time with converted "stick" trans...

535i;10133 said:
Guys,

Hv u come across any E39 with manual trans ? I thot I read somewhere (in the old forum) that somebody did a conversion.

Conversion is a bit tricky with all the ASC, DSC whatever C lah ...

Maybe, it's abt time to move to E39 ? ;)

Dont worry as far as i know the 4 cars which were converted from auto to manual did not had any problems with the ASC / DSC.

OSFlanker;10270 said:
In Europe almost all models of BMW's are offered in manual, except for the 7 series, I believe. The E39 had a 540i manual which was using the 4.4 v8 engine - SWEET!

if you guys remember sometime back there is this movie called "Transporter" the seven e38 was amanual trans mah in that movie ! dont remember any e65/ 66 got any manual trans.

magicfox;16141 said:
Original E39 540i with 6-speed Manual transmission..... :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

DSCN0849%20copy.jpg

DSCN0852%20copy.jpg

DSCN0853%20copy.jpg

DSCN0854%20copy.jpg

:yes!: :yes!:

yes there is 1 e39 540i Black Mtec kit with 6speed i saw in Ultratune Glenmarie some time back.

pussy;534616 said:
all got la... i heard a container with full five and six speed conversions for e36, e46 and e39's has reach KL... only downside is the price.. if you want it, pay for it.. RM15k with all conversion parts, even the ecu and wiring..

saya pun ada dengar similar story there was a add in mudah about it & a e46 328 6speed manual sc for sale too....

ramsing;534682 said:
hehehe....what's so hard about a manual conversion? dun listen to stories, if u're really interested, go find out. ;)

I totaly agree with you !

fabianyee;561158 said:
BTW, some manual gearboxes actually specified ATF instead of manual trans oil, like the Getrag250 I have, the sticker on the gearbox specified ATF only...

Yup i saw the same sticker in my brothers e36 m3 manual box when the car was up the ram !

It seems all my "barang barang" are here save for one hose which is expected to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

Top Bottom