e34 Parts and Maintenance Cost

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
guys,

for the e34...

am i right that there r brake pad sensors for the left front and right rear pads to indicate wear?

do we need to change the sensors everytime the pads are changed?

if so, whats the average cost? i did not see it in the maintainence thread

thanks

FLY

yes u r right.left front and right rear.
change is dependant on condition.if you change the brake pads before the brake pad wear lights up,then most probably you can re-use the sensors.otherwise you will need to replace em coz the sensors would have been damaged by making contact with the discs already.sensors are quite cheap at rm20 each.

Originally posted by moots@May 19 2005, 12:10 AM
yes u r right.left front and right rear.
change is dependant on condition.if you change the brake pads before the brake pad wear lights up,then most probably you can re-use the sensors.otherwise you will need to replace em coz the sensors would have been damaged by making contact with the discs already.sensors are quite cheap at rm20 each.
thanks moots

FLY

Hi FLY,

the Brake sensor is mostly reused during a brake change. The moment it activates, there is some wear but typically, it lasts several pad changes before it goes kaputs due to excessive wear. Save you a few ringgit!.

bro feizaldzul,
how much is the 2nd radiator for 525i auto????what abt
new???thats day bot halfcut 525 oto but radiator tak de!!!
do u have spare gear level for auto transmission??

thanks

mnk

a simple Q really,

the glass on my front head lamp has broken thus exposing the reflector and bulb.

do i need to change the whole unit or can the glass piece be changed separately ( doesn't look like it though ) ??

thanks

FLY

brand new radiator will set you back around 900 to 1200 depending on where you get it from.

I think this thread should be moved up to the "Important Topics", like the other maintenance threads, Mr.Moderator ...

thanks naza2 for the 2nd hand radiator price.....
btw,is there any 2nd hand E34 gear level for sale???
pls pm me...

thanks

mnk

Below is a list of my damage so far. Holy shit, getting to be an expensive “love affair”.

Engine oil and filter oil change - 328
Replaced all power steering hoses, power steering filter and include ATF, clips and labour - 641
Replaced fan and aircon belts, tensioners and bearings - 581
Replaced front and rear absorbers (Bilstein), all bushings, linkages, rods, all mountings (including engine and gearbox), subframe, including labour - 5142
Replaced front and rear brake pads, rear brake discs - 605
Replaced fuel filter - 50
Replaced gearbox level oil seal and add ATF - 58
Replaced leaky MAF bellows to throttle body - 100
Replaced leaky radiator, cap and coolant - 876
Replaced rear right driveshaft boot cover - 100
Replaced valve cover gasket, connector, seal and vent hose - 238
Replaced wipers – 85
Spare key and spare remote - 150
Tyre alignment – 18

Total – RM8,972

And I am only half-done. Ouch.

auto transmission E34 525i service

Solenoid switch 2pcs ........... 198 X 2 = 396
Auto sump gasket big 1pc..... 45 = 45
Transmission fluid 7 liters...... 28 X 7 = 196

Labour : to remove and reinstall automatic oil pan, complete auto valve body in order to polish piston valve and replace switch ......... = 215

FLY

Originally posted by FLY@Jul 17 2005, 07:25 PM

Labour : to remove and reinstall automatic oil pan, complete auto valve body in order to polish piston valve and replace switch ......... = 215

FLY
Hi FLY, where did you service your gearbox? Did you do a full flush or just let the ATF drip out? And how is the shifting now? Smooth? Thinking of doing mine because I get the occasional rough shifting.

Originally posted by FLY@Jul 17 2005, 06:25 AM

FLY
Fly,
What do you mean by polishing piston valve. Please explain.

Hi Flash/Mikeong,

gear shifts are smoother after the service. Needs to be done on a yearly basis / average 20-30k of mileage

mine s a private mechanic in Sec 4, PJ. unfortunately i was not around during the procedure so i could not see the exact process.

he did say that the oil was dirty and the pressure was low. also that he cleaned the piston valves...probably thats what he meant by the 'polishing'

maybe someone who s knowledgable on the E34 gearbox could shed some light?

mine s basically preventive maintainence bcuz i don t have records as to when the last gearbox service was done.

cheers,
FLY

Originally posted by FLY@Jul 18 2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Flash/Mikeong,

gear shifts are smoother after the service. Needs to be done on a yearly basis / average 20-30k of mileage

mine s a private mechanic in Sec 4, PJ. unfortunately i was not around during the procedure so i could not see the exact process.

he did say that the oil was dirty and the pressure was low. also that he cleaned the piston valves...probably thats what he meant by the 'polishing'

maybe someone who s knowledgable on the E34 gearbox could shed some light?

mine s basically preventive maintainence bcuz i don t have records as to when the last gearbox service was done.

cheers,
FLY
FLY....

Does this fella have a modic, how can he tell that yr pressure is low?? And how long did it take him to do yr car???

Some other mech oso told me that my pressure is low... but he recommends a full overhaul..... so i need another opinion....

Also, can i have his contact no....??

Thnx.

Top Bottom