e30: new plugs but temp. goes up!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
meetoo;219429 said:
No lah :) Just that I'm an engineer and things like operating parameters are very important to the proper functioning and maintenance of equipment.

Have you read this?: http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques019_2.html

A thermostat is very cheap, only RM30 to 40.

Yes ur correct and BMW engines are not like ALFA'S or FIAT. I use to drive FIAT UNO and the temp is always 1/4 temp gauge. Where as BMW's engine are mostly dead centre temp gauge.:D I reckon ur fuel consumption will improve if u use 88deg C thermostat. From the readings u gave, ur consumption is like my M40 1.8 auto kehkehkehkeh.

ersalle;219443 said:
Yes ur correct and BMW engines are not like ALFA'S or FIAT. I use to drive FIAT UNO and the temp is always 1/4 temp gauge. Where as BMW's engine are mostly dead centre temp gauge.:D I reckon ur fuel consumption will improve if u use 88deg C thermostat. From the readings u gave, ur consumption is like my M40 1.8 auto kehkehkehkeh.

ok cool! what is the labor costs like to have this high temp. themostat replaced? at 2-B?

what should the fuel consumption be for 316i?

on your fiat UNO, the 1/4 mark means your temperature gauge rosak!

ersalle;219435 said:
Pull out the wire they jump(u shape) on the thermal switch.If radiator is in good condition it wont go beyond 1/2

where is the switch located?

hi guys;

i sent my car to Two-B today. mr. koh found out that it is due to excessive high speed of the fan. so he took the fan out to "service" it (glued somethign on the metal plate inside). according to him, the fan shouldn't be spinning too fast. 1/2 hour later, he put back the fan. start the engine and the fan is spinning ver quietly and much slower.

he also said that the fan is always on even when the engine is cold but slower. is this true? how does it really work with the fan clutch? does it spin faster as engine sped increases?

the temperature slowly climbed to 1/4 mark... and stays there for a while. so, this is higher or hotter than before. but the it is very sensitive to external conditions... see pictures attached.

1. temperature is quite steady at 1/4 mark for most time
2. however, when it senses colder conditon such as in heavy rain today, it drops lower to slightly above the BLUE mark.
3. when rain cleared, it climbed up to 1/4 mark again and stays there.
4. when external ambient is cooler, it drops slightly
5. most time, it is like 1mm below 1/4 mark

seems my themostat is of the colder type. but why is it not "rock" steady huh?

but the most remarkable thing is the A/C (new for 2 weeks) seems to be working consistently ok now -- cold. it's erratic before. it now works like magic. anyone can explain? however, i am delighted and happy:D :) . because this is the second compressor the A/C guy changed to and it wasn't working properly stil until the culprit is found that is the fan!!!

Seles, the BMW temp guage is calibrated to sit exactly at the 1/2 mark at correct operating temp and DOES NOT WAVER from there in car with cooling system in good order. I think other forumer will back me up here, and THIS IS THE MAIN THING YOU MUST CONSIDER. Your car is still running cold if it's still around the 1/4 mark and wavers!

I think you should go to another mechanic. If you stick something on the blades, it will be out of balance and your fan won't last very long. He's fiddling around with it to solve the symptom only, not the cure.

It should not be spinning all the time. There is a thermostatically-controlled viscous clutch in the fan hub if the fan is engine-driven. If it's an electric motor-driven fan, there is a thermostatic switch. I'm not sure what you have as I don't know the E36 mechanicals.

Your radiator thermostat, at whatever temp rating it is, cannot keep the temp steady because of your 'always on' fan. The fan thermostat and radiator thermostat must work together to keep the temp steady.

Finally, your cooling fan has nothing to do with the working of your AC. That a separate system and they're not interdependent.

Please go to another mechanic! :)

meetoo;219745 said:
Seles, the BMW temp guage is calibrated to sit exactly at the 1/2 mark at correct operating temp and DOES NOT WAVER from there in car with cooling system in good order. I think other forumer will back me up here, and THIS IS THE MAIN THING YOU MUST CONSIDER. Your car is still running cold if it's still around the 1/4 mark and wavers!

I think you should go to another mechanic. If you stick something on the blades, it will be out of balance and your fan won't last very long. He's fiddling around with it to solve the symptom only, not the cure.

It should not be spinning all the time. There is a thermostatically-controlled viscous clutch in the fan hub if the fan is engine-driven. If it's an electric motor-driven fan, there is a thermostatic switch. I'm not sure what you have as I don't know the E36 mechanicals.

Your radiator thermostat, at whatever temp rating it is, cannot keep the temp steady because of your 'always on' fan. The fan thermostat and radiator thermostat must work together to keep the temp steady.

Finally, your cooling fan has nothing to do with the working of your AC. That a separate system and they're not interdependent.

Please go to another mechanic! :)

i am driving an e30 316i. so all the e30s out there, are the fans always working even when cold? i, too, find his explanation illogical but really he is pretty good knowlegeble mechanic.

1. if fan is controlled by engine, where is the fan thermostat and switch?
2. if electric driven, where then is the switch?

BTW, is e30m40 fan mechanically controlled this way using fan clutch? so, since it is not properly solved yet, what is the real culprit here?

selespeed;219755 said:
i am driving an e30 316i. so all the e30s out there, are the fans always working even when cold? i, too, find his explanation illogical but really he is pretty good knowlegeble mechanic.

1. if fan is controlled by engine, where is the fan thermostat and switch?
2. if electric driven, where then is the switch?

BTW, is e30m40 fan mechanically controlled this way using fan clutch? so, since it is not properly solved yet, what is the real culprit here?

Oh E30 :) Ok assuming it's engine-driven, the viscous clutch is still govern by a thermostat. A heat management system has to be governed to be stable and there cannot be 'always on' components in a governed system. The real culprit I feel is your mechanic who likes to tinker with cooling systems. If his explanation is illogical, then how is he a good knowlegeble mechanic?

Just try someone else or go to AB la, Seles!

meetoo;219760 said:
Oh E30 :) Ok assuming it's engine-driven, the viscous clutch is still govern by a thermostat. A heat management system has to be governed to be stable and there cannot be 'always on' components in a governed system. The real culprit I feel is your mechanic who likes to tinker with cooling systems. If his explanation is illogical, then how is he a good knowlegeble mechanic?

Just try someone else or go to AB la, Seles!

i am in kulai la! mana AB?
anyway, i can just tell him. so assuming engine driven fan, where is the thermal switch?

my goodness, so much talk n advises here but to my dismay nobody actually gave selespeed a correct explanation. Wheres all the real M40 sifus?? fabian??

Ok well here goes, i myself drive an e30 316i M40 and its NORMAL to have the temp showing 1/4 mark or a lil' below that especially at night driving or when the external ambient is cooler. The temp meter actually shows u the "WATER TEMP" and NOT the "engine temp". So selespeed, there is NO PROBLEMS with your thermo or your cooling system, it is normal as what your mech said. Luckily u got the RIGHT mech with a humble knowledge.

YES, the M40B16 coolling fan is ALWAYS ON.. it'll never stop, if it ever stops with the engine running then get ready to spend more money!

Im happy to hear that now your air-cond is functioning excellently without the initial erratic as u mentioned. Didn't know that adjusting the cooling fan speed will cure that problem. I'm gonna check it out with my mech since i also have that erraticsm at times. Hopefully i wont get my temp going higher after that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

selespeed;219737 said:
hi guys;

i sent my car to Two-B today. mr. koh found out that it is due to excessive high speed of the fan. so he took the fan out to "service" it (glued somethign on the metal plate inside). according to him, the fan shouldn't be spinning too fast. 1/2 hour later, he put back the fan. start the engine and the fan is spinning ver quietly and much slower.

he also said that the fan is always on even when the engine is cold but slower. is this true? how does it really work with the fan clutch? does it spin faster as engine sped increases?

the temperature slowly climbed to 1/4 mark... and stays there for a while. so, this is higher or hotter than before. but the it is very sensitive to external conditions... see pictures attached.

1. temperature is quite steady at 1/4 mark for most time
2. however, when it senses colder conditon such as in heavy rain today, it drops lower to slightly above the BLUE mark.
3. when rain cleared, it climbed up to 1/4 mark again and stays there.
4. when external ambient is cooler, it drops slightly
5. most time, it is like 1mm below 1/4 mark

seems my themostat is of the colder type. but why is it not "rock" steady huh?

but the most remarkable thing is the A/C (new for 2 weeks) seems to be working consistently ok now -- cold. it's erratic before. it now works like magic. anyone can explain? however, i am delighted and happy:D :) . because this is the second compressor the A/C guy changed to and it wasn't working properly stil until the culprit is found that is the fan!!!

Sorry yesterday me not working, public holiday in SG.
For e30 temp. gauge i notice it moves a notch when there is a change in temperature. As for your case u could be running on 78deg C thermostat or a slightly opened thermostat(modified by 2B).
For your fan, which fan are u talking about?Air con electric fan or the fan on the fan clutch? When u turn on the aircon, the electric fan will run at slow speed but will increase to high speed if the water temperature in the radiator goes past 99deg C. If without using aircon the electric fan will activate only when the water in the radiator reached 91deg C.
For the fan clutch, as the water in the radiator gets hot there is a bimetallic stip on the fan clutch controls the amount of lock on the fan clutch, so as to say if the radiator is very hot the fan clutch will full lock and draws in a lot of air, u can hear the fan roar when u press the accelerator. But when the engine is cold u won't hear the roaring sound and the fan clutch should be spinning free(err not really free also but minimal lock as u can still see the fan clutch moving following the engine momentum.
Please check REAL OEM, the actual thermostat for E30 316i is 88deg C and the optimum temp gauge reading is almost to the 1/2 mark.If it gets hot it should be at 1/2 way mark, if goes beyond that u got problems in the cooling system.
If you want to run a bit cooler since our climate is hot, can use the 80 deg C thermostat. The only set back of running engine cooler is fuel consumption and high emission level.

UNO temp. gauge rosak, well i dont care, the car is history already:))

Sele if u want i got a spare 80deg C thermostat with me. Actually i've been playing around with thermostats for quite a while since i had cooling problem with the car and in the end the main culprit was clogged radiator. By the way i'm staying at TMN U heheheh

ersalle;219846 said:
Sele if u want i got a spare 80deg C thermostat with me. Actually i've been playing around with thermostats for quite a while since i had cooling problem with the car and in the end the main culprit was clogged radiator. By the way i'm staying at TMN U heheheh

taman U eh? i am always there in Jusco starbucks. what is your cell #? PM me if you don't want to expose here!

yes i want to try out your thermostat.

ersalle;219850 said:
Wah u also loitering there ek hihihihihi

this taman u jusco is the best - large, spacious and very friendly baristas. i go there frequently and know all of them.

met a e36 328 owner in Two-B yesterday and introduced him to this fantastic forum. so hopefully he can come to our TT meet one day soon or see him in forum here soon. he's driving a silver car. formerly alfa alfetta owner! he is from senai but i can't rememebr his name, a malay driver.

look me up when you are around here in kulai/ioi

ersalle;219865 said:
Oit u sms me yet u still online....got my sms reply or not sele?

yes got your SMS. sometimes i used pc to sms you. ok, got to start my bmw and check if temperature is ok. today is friday!

hello colling systems experts!

i found this part # on my e30m40 in realoem...

07 THERMOSTAT 88CEL 11 1537511580 $37.94

88CEL is the temperature of the thermostat correct?

my temperature is now mostly steady at 1/4 mark.

Top Bottom