Driving range on a full tank - 525i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

thebackpackr

Club Guest
I was wondering how much you can get out of a full tank. I fill it up with about RM117 and for city driving, and I'm getting about 360-400km. Is this normal, low, high?I've also heard some people say different petrol companies provide better range. I usually use Shell RON95. Any thoughts?

thebackpackr;718367 said:
I was wondering how much you can get out of a full tank. I fill it up with about RM117 and for city driving, and I'm getting about 360-400km. Is this normal, low, high?

I've also heard some people say different petrol companies provide better range. I usually use Shell RON95. Any thoughts?
Based on your information, RM 117= 61.6 litres and this translates to only 5.8-6.5 km/litre which was rather poor fuel consumption. For city driving, you should obtain at least 8-8.5km per litre. Personally, I'm happy with Petronas or BHP on RON 95.

just as a comparison,my 15yr old e39 528i gets me 640kms on my daily drives to/from work with no traffic jams and about 750kms for long distance hiway drives.....on a full tank (approx 70 litres)

moots;718392 said:
just as a comparison,my 15yr old e39 528i gets me 640kms on my daily drives to/from work with no traffic jams and about 750kms for long distance hiway drives.....on a full tank (approx 70 litres)
Very good mileage averaging 9km/litre

thebackpackr;718367 said:
I was wondering how much you can get out of a full tank. I fill it up with about RM117 and for city driving, and I'm getting about 360-400km. Is this normal, low, high?

I've also heard some people say different petrol companies provide better range. I usually use Shell RON95. Any thoughts?

Yr FC is bit poor..must be stuck in traffic a lot ya ! My 3months old 523I 07,filled at full around rm110-115, gained around 450-500km for city driving but not reallly subject to traffic jam.cause not going city atpeak hour...using Esso 95..haven't try long distance yet..

For city driving, I'm getting about 8.5-9.3km/l.. Highway about 9.5-10.3km/l.. If maintain about 190-220km/h on highway, gets about 9.0km/l..:rock:

oh yeah, i'm using BHP RON95.. I have read articles somewhere on net, BHP & ESSO/MOBIL stands at top 2 for RON95..

Thanks for sharing, everyone. Looks like it's really, really dependent on the traffic. Unfortunately, I get stuck with lights and slow moving traffic most of the time. No chance to go on the highway most times.

I stay in Taman Megah, PJ and work in SStwo Mall, so it's not far, and there's no real highway between us.

I just filled up with a tank of Petronas, let's see how it fares.

I think one full tank will get you around 450-550KM on normal KL City driving due to the traffic conditions. My E60 530i 2007 gets around 500KM on average per full tank purely city driving. If the traffic is bad, I get even lower :(

That is darn near man. Must takes you at least 2-3 weeks before having to pump petrol again from a full tank. I use to bother about petrol as well as I don't claim from my company as I work for myself but after a while...i just did not care how much I spent cause i hardly pump petrol as well :)

thebackpackr;718470 said:
Thanks for sharing, everyone. Looks like it's really, really dependent on the traffic. Unfortunately, I get stuck with lights and slow moving traffic most of the time. No chance to go on the highway most times.

I stay in Taman Megah, PJ and work in SStwo Mall, so it's not far, and there's no real highway between us.

I just filled up with a tank of Petronas, let's see how it fares.

desbimmer;718763 said:
That is darn near man. Must takes you at least 2-3 weeks before having to pump petrol again from a full tank. I use to bother about petrol as well as I don't claim from my company as I work for myself but after a while...i just did not care how much I spent cause i hardly pump petrol as well :)

Haha, yea... about 2 weeks, but it also depends if I go out for meetings to KL, etc. Just the other night I went to KL at 10pm and it took me 1.5 hours to arrive at Swiss Garden Hotel. The jam is NUTS!!!

i drive a mix of being stuck in kl traffic and urban highways (NKVE, NPE etc.) and get about just under 12 litres/100km.

Highways yield me about just under 8 litres/100km

for those interested in comparing, mine's an M54 engine

nubeemer;721541 said:
i drive a mix of being stuck in kl traffic and urban highways (NKVE, NPE etc.) and get about just under 12 litres/100km.

Hi guys,
Do you have any idea, what's the solution if the FC not up to the normal standard..?is changing fuel brand can settle this problem or engine tuning is the solutions?

zeck;721839 said:
Hi guys,
Do you have any idea, what's the solution if the FC not up to the normal standard..?is changing fuel brand can settle this problem or engine tuning is the solutions?

Solutions:-

1. check and/or replace MAF, fuel filter, pre-cat 02 sensors
2. utlise a lighter right foot on accelerator

zeck;721839 said:
Hi guys,

So many facts may lead to the FC affect. Simple e.g is like weight on wheel (body parts/wheel size & pressure/driving behavior etc). Temperature also tend to effect the FC.

Like Herbert said, it's good for you to try clean up the MAF, and try to use after market air filter perhaps (like K&N etc) with better filtered hydrogen amount produce by those filters. Remember that the car was designed with all required as it released from the factory. So in any additional "accessory" or mods might lead to FC effect. Hence, to compare such "normal standard usage" of FC eventhough with same type of car might result as differ FC.
Some says that use the better RON version will decrease the FC, but the cost to spent for it is almost the same value with using the normal RON, hence no much different in terms of wallet burning.

The best solution, stop mods and BACK TO BASIC CAR AS IT WAS! hahahah

nubeemer;721541 said:

I get about the same as yours. Best ever was about 800+ kms in a full tank, full highways, no rempit. Drive a 525 e60 n52 engine

Darn, I should find an office that requires only highway driving then! :) So far, I've not found substantial differences between petrol brands - have tried Shell and Petronas only, though.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Increase Horse Power & Torque without High Risks Remapping ECU!?!?

I got NGK Laser Platinum for E60 525 530 (Year 2003-2005) M54, new import from USA, made in Japan. Price = RM360 only free postage

LASER PLATINUM® at least 5% Horse Power & Torque Plus improve your fuel consumption, Money Back Guarantee !!!!

Laser Platinum® spark plugs provide high ignitability and longer service life. Dual platinum surfaces ensure slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Laser welded Platinum center electrode tip
Platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode provides long life
Trivalent Metal Plating provides superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
Faster starts and quicker acceleration
Better fuel economy and lower emissions
Best Platinum spark plug available
Original Equipment Manufacturer approved design
Dealing Method
* PosLaju
* COD (Penang, Perak Parit Buntar or Kedah Sungi Petani) - Can try to request for other convenience places.

Contact
* Mobile : 0175433688 Golden Khor
* e-Mail : ingpenang@hotmail.com

Top Bottom