Drilling Hole in Tail Pipe

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AT-Sixx

Club Guest
Hi bros/sisHave a 328i which comes with the twin chrome exhaust tail-pipe. It is always dirty at the bottom edges and very very difficult to remove - and gets dirty just after a trip.I am considering the idea of drilling maybe 2 holes at the base of the tailpipe (maybe 1-2 inches from mouth of the exhaust) the so the water condensation (which carries the carbon) can drip way.Has anyone done this before ? Appreciate comments on this project as well as any recommendations on where to get this done. Hope fully, this will not affect output performance.Many thanksCheerz

Drilling the holes is OK but you will have to consider the rust treatment of the holes where you drilled.
The bare metal would be exposed and corrosion will start from there.

Any bros have suggestions on where I may get the drilling done properly ?

Thanks Hebert for your assistance in directing this newbie to the right place

Cheers

AT-Sixx ...nice avatar there ... cold one plsss once ya done with ya drilling werks :)

why would anyone want to drill a "tuned pipe"?? go google and read up how important and efficient a tuned resonator is important to the performance.

i know you are concerned about the drips.. but if you drill, you are compromising the tuned pipe.. and its not solving the issue.. just diverting the issue. every perfect burnout produces water.. thus the car spits.. at least for now it spits out .. if it drips.. it goes everywhere that you can see.. just my two cents worth..

AT-Sixx;815782 said:
Any bros have suggestions on where I may get the drilling done properly ?

alantiong;816053 said:
why would anyone want to drill a "tuned pipe"?? go google and read up how important and efficient a tuned resonator is important to the performance.

i know you are concerned about the drips.. but if you drill, you are compromising the tuned pipe.. and its not solving the issue.. just diverting the issue. every perfect burnout produces water.. thus the car spits.. at least for now it spits out .. if it drips.. it goes everywhere that you can see.. just my two cents worth..

Thanks for sharing your thots bro - appreciate your giving this topic an added dimension to consider. Was thinking of drilling just at the ends of the exhaust pipe where the usual water condensate can drip off (not entirely, but materially). Have spoke to AB people and they said it should not affect performance if done there. I will do a bit more checking on the topic.

Does anyone else find the carbon build up unsightly ?

AT-Sixx;816080 said:
Thanks for sharing your thots bro - appreciate your giving this topic an added dimension to consider. Was thinking of drilling just at the ends of the exhaust pipe where the usual water condensate can drip off (not entirely, but materially). Have spoke to AB people and they said it should not affect performance if done there. I will do a bit more checking on the topic.

Does anyone else find the carbon build up unsightly ?

Seriously, are you too concerned about the carbon build up? Strange enough, BMW turbo cars are accumulating carbon build up (tail pipe) at a very fast rate (for petrol engine). Anyone know why is that so? Or, I may be wrong. It's a common thing with turbo engine cars?

TheTinkerer;816497 said:
Seriously, are you too concerned about the carbon build up? Strange enough, BMW turbo cars are accumulating carbon build up (tail pipe) at a very fast rate (for petrol engine). Anyone know why is that so? Or, I may be wrong. It's a common thing with turbo engine cars?

It's a purely visual matter to me bro. I find it somewhat annoying that these carbon stains are pretty stubborn and it distracts from the clean beauty of the chrome tail pipe finish.
When I see other cars done up, my eyes will automatically detect the 'missed spots' and the chrome tail pipe is one of the more common 'fail' areas.

TheTinkerer;816497 said:

It's normal for turbo charged engines. I have more carbon residue on my GTI Milltek exhaust tip than my f30.

splee;816765 said:
It's normal for turbo charged engines. I have more carbon residue on my GTI Milltek exhaust tip than my f30.

Surprisingly my friend's Passat doesn't has as much carbon build up. I know that he is one who drives hard.

Top Bottom