530D Black Smoke

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi r377720 and everyone else in this thread

I am new to this forum and I also have a 530D with the same problem discussed in this thread.
Since I am not really into DIY maintenance, can anyone recommend me a good 3rd party BMW workshop
where I can do all the activities suggested here in this thread. I live in Petaling Jaya and I get very stressed up
each time I send the car to AB. They can never solve these issues.

Thanks

Robert Daniel Tan;491444 said:
Hi r377720 and everyone else in this thread

I am new to this forum and I also have a 530D with the same problem discussed in this thread.
Since I am not really into DIY maintenance, can anyone recommend me a good 3rd party BMW workshop
where I can do all the activities suggested here in this thread. I live in Petaling Jaya and I get very stressed up
each time I send the car to AB. They can never solve these issues.

Thanks

Is your car still under warranty? I believe its not, rite. Forget AB, issues of this nature has been with them and to-date nothing much they can do abt it, other than the basic cleaning of the inlets and outlets ....:stupid:

Read the thread carefully and you will know how to fix this "excessive black smoke issue". However, if you hit a dead end, just message me and I will let you know where to get it done. :top:

btw since you are a newbie in this forum, maybe you can go to the Newbie section and self intro there to officially make yourself known in this forum...that will get you more positive response / support :top:.

yes... pls introduce yourself so we know you better.

It is not really a complicated jobs and what you hav to do is to get to any relaible w/shop and instruct them to do as per list and you will see the difference.

However, pls also check if
1. your turbo is in good running condition whitout any whinning/wistling sound.
2. the air filter is too dirty - replace it if necessary

Hi guys,

Thanks for your pointers and I plan to send to M1 in PJ immediately after CNY for the suggested work.

As for the intro - I am Daniel Tan from Petaling Jaya. I have owned 3 generation of 5 series for the last 18 over years. This last one I got in mid-2004 (the special sports edition with the BMW F1 driver autographs). I have enjoyed this for at least 3.5 years before first major problem which saw total replacement of engine block by AB (seems the cylinders got some flanges inside it which caused damage to the cylinders).

After replacement of engine, everything Ok for about 15 months before turbo unit gave way, that got replaced and then other things crop up every other month. This excessive black smoke the latest.

Each time I send to AB, the car stays in AB for at least 2 weeks. Repair bills have come up to around 30K within last 2 years (excluding engine replacement which was under warranty). So since warranty has expired, I am willing to try other workshop.

I recently found a BMW-only workshop called M1 in PJ which I am going to try. Hope the mechanics where are more competent.

Oh yah, about the whinning/whistling sound, this is definitely something that just came about a couple of days ago. So looks like turbo unit also giving way again - sigghhh

Thanks again for your assistance - will update you guys what happens after that - cheerio

Robert Daniel Tan;492014 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your pointers and I plan to send to M1 in PJ immediately after CNY for the suggested work.

As for the intro - I am Daniel Tan from Petaling Jaya. I have owned 3 generation of 5 series for the last 18 over years. This last one I got in mid-2004 (the special sports edition with the BMW F1 driver autographs). I have enjoyed this for at least 3.5 years before first major problem which saw total replacement of engine block by AB (seems the cylinders got some flanges inside it which caused damage to the cylinders).

After replacement of engine, everything Ok for about 15 months before turbo unit gave way, that got replaced and then other things crop up every other month. This excessive black smoke the latest.

Each time I send to AB, the car stays in AB for at least 2 weeks. Repair bills have come up to around 30K within last 2 years (excluding engine replacement which was under warranty). So since warranty has expired, I am willing to try other workshop.

I recently found a BMW-only workshop called M1 in PJ which I am going to try. Hope the mechanics where are more competent.

Oh yah, about the whinning/whistling sound, this is definitely something that just came about a couple of days ago. So looks like turbo unit also giving way again - sigghhh

Thanks again for your assistance - will update you guys what happens after that - cheerio

Hi there Daniel .... Sad to hear abt your trouble dude. I am a 530d owner myself and what you are going thru, I hv been there. Your excessive smoke could be due to many things. It could be problems with your intake manifold (damaged or simply very dirty - Euro 1 diesel) or it could be you are having problem with your injection which may result in insufficient burning. ....
The hissing/ whistling sound, yes its the turbo unit but most probably due to a turbo tube about to gave way ....If you do drive down to Melaka, go to Seong Hoe in Semabok. They are very well verse with 530d and they do a fairly good job getting your car ready on time.:top:.

thx Doc for the very informative DIY.............so when can i send mine to do all the above DIY?

Bailey;492105 said:
thx Doc for the very informative DIY.............so when can i send mine to do all the above DIY?

Hei Bailey, car car still virgin to hv all this operation...hehehehe....

Those who has turbo problem MUST not change the turbo since this Gerret turbo will cause you around 6k- 8K. What I did last time was to send to Turbo Performance shop. They have the turbo kit replacement and will cost you only RM1.2K.... excellent job, feel like new and they have QC control.

Let me try to find out the website. BTW they are somewhere in Gombak..

OK...this is the website
http://www.turboperformance.com.my

Hi guys

About the turboperformance web site, cant seem to get into it. Tried googling it also but no luck.

Zul - thanks for the tip on the turbo tube - will keep that in my radar screen.

r37720;492113 said:
Hei Bailey, car car still virgin to hv all this operation...hehehehe....

Doc,

wat is the optimum mileage for all this operation need to be done? my car has reached 39,000 km

Robert Daniel Tan;492368 said:
Hi guys

About the turboperformance web site, cant seem to get into it. Tried googling it also but no luck.

Zul - thanks for the tip on the turbo tube - will keep that in my radar screen.

:top: welcome :top:

:listen: maybe now is the right time for you to join us as an official members to enjoy the unlimited perks avaiable from this fantastic club :top:.

Hi guys

Just got my 530d back from the garage. Looks like the pipe between the turbo and the engine sprang a leak (strange). That explains the whinning sound in the turbo. Replaced the pipe (and related parts) and had the rest (like the manifold, etc) cleaned and its purring right now (no black smoke). Cost around Rm1.3K (parts and labour).

Thanks to all your advise. Hopefully, it will take some time before the next part give way to wear & tear.

Cheerio

Robert Daniel Tan;495438 said:
Hi guys

Just got my 530d back from the garage. Looks like the pipe between the turbo and the engine sprang a leak (strange). That explains the whinning sound in the turbo. Replaced the pipe (and related parts) and had the rest (like the manifold, etc) cleaned and its purring right now (no black smoke). Cost around Rm1.3K (parts and labour).

Thanks to all your advise. Hopefully, it will take some time before the next part give way to wear & tear.

Cheerio

:top: enjoy the ride :top::top:

just got my 530d last Thursday after letting off my 120i, found out that is a absolutely a good car for me to travelling always to outstation...
For the Fuel consumption part, i'm hitting 700km/ rm 110 full tank, no doubt is a very cost saving...
Performance wise, i can say it is a very very powerful car.... but one thing is just the black smoke coming out when full throttle.

overall, i like this 530d very very much. and thanks for all sifu useful information here...

ericwong6633;499076 said:
just got my 530d last Thursday after letting off my 120i, found out that is a absolutely a good car for me to travelling always to outstation...
For the Fuel consumption part, i'm hitting 700km/ rm 110 full tank, no doubt is a very cost saving...
Performance wise, i can say it is a very very powerful car.... but one thing is just the black smoke coming out when full throttle.

overall, i like this 530d very very much. and thanks for all sifu useful information here...

:listen: a good service on all related parts should do the trick ..like what Daniel did ...:top::top:

omg.... today just realize the black smoke is getting worse after pump in shell"s diesel... dont know whether is it affected the issue?? any recommendation can clean off this issue? i saw the motorist annoying face during i step on my accelator harder....

just send to mechanics and perform those list of maintenance as I mentioned in my previous post. You will see the difference.

Top Bottom