E90 gear box oil change

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;492803 said:
Does the car feel any better after the Trans oil change?

Immediately can feel that its smoother or maybe its just my subconscious mind thinking, after spending 1k on oil and filter.

60k km for me is 2 more years to go.. need to start saving up liao.. :D

This is a useful tread.. anyone ask about E90 trans oil change just need to come here and all is answered!

Guys,

I am planning to change my gear box oil next week since my E90 already clocked over 60k. Already made appointment with AB Glenmarie. After reading this thread and a few others, many are recommending to do it outside SC due to cheaper cost. I wonder how much AB would charge me? Forgot to ask them...:cool:

I am afraid if change at other than SC, later will have problem, but then I don't want to spend unnecessary extra expenses as well when other work shop can do a good job.

Hmmm...AB or other workshop. Please recommend....

nizan1979;538278 said:
Guys,

I am planning to change my gear box oil next week since my E90 already clocked over 60k. Already made appointment with AB Glenmarie. After reading this thread and a few others, many are recommending to do it outside SC due to cheaper cost. I wonder how much AB would charge me? Forgot to ask them...:cool:

I am afraid if change at other than SC, later will have problem, but then I don't want to spend unnecessary extra expenses as well when other work shop can do a good job.

Hmmm...AB or other workshop. Please recommend....

Better not take the risk then. Pay abit more and have a peace of mind.

Cheers

astroboy;490481 said:
BMW uses LifeTime transmission fluid.. supposedly defined as 160k km. After which, the entire gearbox I think can scrape lio.. :D

Dunno how much the SC charge for ATF job?! I am planning to do mine at 60k km oso, and get it done at SC if possible. Coz nobody know what ATF BMW uses.

hi bro..sorry to interrupt ur quote... i have some 1 change the original gear oil about RM700 with labor eh...

SR20

I went to German Mechanics last Saturday and the guy there said for gear oil change I must also change the gasket and the oil pan (since E90 gear does not have a filter). Do we need to change these two items as well? I thought just change the gear oil.....hmmm

astroboy;490481 said:
BMW uses LifeTime transmission fluid.. supposedly defined as 160k km. After which, the entire gearbox I think can scrape lio.. :D

Dunno how much the SC charge for ATF job?! I am planning to do mine at 60k km oso, and get it done at SC if possible. Coz nobody know what ATF BMW uses.

Apparently when I questioned AB once, the technicians were confused over the difference between "Life Long" and "Long Life". They thought never need changing i.e. "Life Long", but then found out it is supposed to be "Long Life" i.e. last a little longer than normal. Is this true? After that, I found out that latest recommendation is that ATF be changed every 20k-30k. Because of the confusion and what they thought was "Life Long", now they dare not recommend change for those who have not changed - apparently the sudden change in viscocity will kaput the gearbox. Mine happened with previous e46 325i. Changed ATF at 90k, then one week after that gearbox kaput. Luckilly within 3rd year and AB gave goodwill warranty. Any other experiences anyone else?

The correct BMW term is 'Lifetime' transmission fluid, meaning no change required during the expected lifetime of a gearbox, supposedly 160k km. IMO, if you're going to change your ATF, between 60k-80k would be the best time. Before that would be wasteful and after that could be risky.

See the label..
Manual-Transmission-Fluid-Change.jpg

Darn! Am approaching 60k km very-very soon..... to change or not to change? :confused:

MSport;539765 said:
Darn! Am approaching 60k km very-very soon..... to change or not to change? :confused:

With my rempit session with the gang, decided to follow Bro Mizhan advise ! Changed it every year... So my change will be in 2 months time. Better be safe than sorry ! ! I was at Quills Service in Puchong yesterday, some poor guy gotten his E90 engine jammed. Total Bill RM31K....:eek:

I just changed my ATF last week at AB Segambut. Recommended to change every 60K.

Let's forget what BMW recommend for now.. and see what my 6HP19 manual recommending.. :D

6HP19X_oil_change_rcmd.jpg

80-120k? People have experienced problems changing too late wor. :) BTW, Merc service mandates changes at 60k.

Any manual for GM boxes, since LCI boxes may be GM?

Why do u need manual for GM box? quiet quiet get a 6-pot LCI ka?! :eek:

LCI boxes are all GM. The most detail GM gearbox manual would be the court case paper, where BMW is being sued by the adminstrator of the French GM Transmission manufacturer.. :D

Nahhh. As in women, I prefer the original look. Never cottoned to the 'facelift' concept :D

Just curious what GM would say about changing ATF for their boxes...

soorian;539859 said:
I just changed my ATF last week at AB Segambut. Recommended to change every 60K.

Do you have to change the gasket and oil pan? How much is the cost?

Top Bottom