BCM's Ultimate E90 Member Hangout.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I think the SA is right that if there is any problem with the AS, there will be indicator shown in the OBC. Mine is without this problem.

OH-CHIEN;267911 said:
QUERY ON ACTIVE STEERING:

Hi Guys,
Wanted to check if any owners of E90 with active steering has exrerienced slight twitch through the steering (feeling like when you pull your fingers) while doing sharp corners when parking or going down carparks?Took my car to SA (AB PG) to check and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with the steering as if theres a problem with active steering the on board computer will show. Feeling is less prevalent once air pressure in run flats pumped to recommended level once I go to the petrol station for refill & I pump air in tyres.Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has also experience it? Car is brand new..only about 2500km on clock. THanks Guys!

The next time it happens, can you check if the DSC light is flashing? Or if you can simulate it again and ask the passenger to check.

Cheers

No, the DSC doesnt come on. But depessing the DTC button on the console (DTC indicator shows in on board computer + warning triangle with exclamation mark) appears to make a difference .Wonder if it's a software glitch..?

guys,
just wondering if u all have experience this. at high speed 160-180 and when u brake hard, do u feel the steering vibrating. is this normal? cheers

ken;282282 said:
guys,
just wondering if u all have experience this. at high speed 160-180 and when u brake hard, do u feel the steering vibrating. is this normal? cheers

Recently I did a 100% emergency brake with full ABS assist at 220km/h..... and no vibration at all. If yours vibrate.... it is not normal.

ken;282282 said:
guys,

Steering vibration during braking usually means warped brake discs.

DY: wah... from so fast u emergency ka? so did the car tail lash out or the front squiggle? or did it do a straight line brake?

David Yong;282330 said:
Recently I did a 100% emergency brake with full ABS assist at 220km/h..... and no vibration at all. If yours vibrate.... it is not normal.

Was that a test of the ABS or was it really an emergency?

rookie;282350 said:
Steering vibration during braking usually means warped brake discs.

Yea Rookie is right. Its likely the discs are slightly warped as you only feel it at such high speeds under hard braking. Car is still underwarranty, so send it in and get them to replace a new set of discs for you instead of skimming the discs :).

Hi people, care to keep our E90 hangout thread neat please!! Dun want people to think we all rojak kaki...

such hi-speed fairy tales please keep them for the TT because there might eyes (mata-mata) among the members which not so nice la. If any of us kena "ISA" charge then not so nice loo..

Looking forward for more exciting stories on the 26th lunch E9x "re"union.. :D

Thank you for your corporation.. ;)

AlexNg;282356 said:
DY: wah... from so fast u emergency ka? so did the car tail lash out or the front squiggle? or did it do a straight line brake?

Not all ABS systems are equal. Something I learned in BMW Driver training. The ABS on our E90's pulsates something like 20 times per second unlike lower end ABS units on mass market Jap cars. When the ABS kicks in, its only a mild and fine pulse feedback on the brake pedal. For my Wife's Jazz ABS, when it kicks in, it really kicks in violently and its quite dramatic. Also the stop distance under ABS assist is pretty amazing for the E90 unlike other mass market saloons based on the actual tests done at the training. For the M cars, the ABS unit is even more advanced, something like 25 pulsations per second. Maybe Albundy can provide more accurate details heh.

So no tail lashes or squiggles should be expected under these sorts of emergency braking on our cars I would think.

E46F is absolutely right. I was so proud with my car after this incident. I have really put my driver training skill into action too that day. The story goes like this:

I was on my way from KL to Ipoh and was driving damn fast (once in awhile for the fun of it). Three person including me in the car. When I was touching 220km/h, suddenly a car about two car length from my direction came out to my lane (right lane), straightaway I jam on the brake (full braking) and of course it definitely can't brake on time to avoid hitting this car, so what I did was I did the emergency lane change to the left to avoid the car (this is done still under full braking without releasing the brake pedal). Upon seeing me, the car in front got panic and went back to the left lane thinking to let me pass him thru the right lane but in fact I was trying to avoid him by going into the left lane! Then without thinking much, I quickly manoveur my car back to the right lane to avoid him and finally slow down to pull myself back to the left lane to take a deep breath! Luckily there was no car behind us or else this quick emergency lane changing from right to left back to right would have cause accident.

Imagine if the ABS is not good enough, I would have been in deep shit. The car is in very good control even at this high speed. No tail lashes or squiggles. I feel that it is absolutely in control.

Moral of the story, try to slow down whenever there is car in front of you eventhough they are on the left lane as you would never know that they will come into your lane without warning.

Skillful driving, DY!:top:

The key is defensive driving, always anticipate what other drivers around you will do, then your reaction time will be much shorter!

Woow. That was lucky for you DY. Like what the Adv driver course always tells us that most of us don't kick/stamp hard enough on our brakes. Were you sitting in the 'right' position? Nowadays I try and sit much closer than I used to even though i didn't sit far back either before. But the sitting position is so important for these kind of braking. Thank god all was ok. The main problem esp in Msia is even if we are careful drivers, there a lots of half past six drivers out there on our roads. I have had my fair share of scares too.

Moral of the story:

1. You can go faster... :D
2. You should have switched on ur high beam after crossing 180kph to scream to others that u r coming DAMN FAST!!!

danc;282491 said:
Woow. That was lucky for you DY. Like what the Adv driver course always tells us that most of us don't kick/stamp hard enough on our brakes. Were you sitting in the 'right' position? Nowadays I try and sit much closer than I used to even though i didn't sit far back either before. But the sitting position is so important for these kind of braking. Thank god all was ok. The main problem esp in Msia is even if we are careful drivers, there a lots of half past six drivers out there on our roads. I have had my fair share of scares too.

Yes, the correct sitting position is very very important. Steering technique is very important. Your hand must not be too far away from the steering. This will help in quicker reaction and better accurate control of your vehicle. That was what Albundy keep stressing to us during the driver training. When we really need to activate our ABS, it must be full braking or stamp the brake pedal to the max. Dun release it. This is the right technique to activate ABS.

I find BMW has a very good driving position. With Toyota, its impossible to get it right. When ur leg is right, steering too far, when steering is right, pedals too close and knee bent is too much..

So in BMW, its either u get your leg position or steering position right, the rest will fall into places. :top:

Top Bottom