Anyone using Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Group buy? Aiyaa... ask En. Shukor to kao tim for us la.. or better still, ask En. Shukor to bring this oil to our next oil talk la.. jual minyak during the talk.. :p

AUD$13 = RM33.75.. wah! so murah wan!

Come one come all! Mari mari! :D

Juan Powerblow;413588 said:
.. My colleague's wife E90 325i just had a massive oil sludge issue ....

Can find out more on the above and share with us?

1. What oil she use? I meant her car.. :D
2. What was for interval? I meant her car oil change.. :D
3. Mileage now? This one straight forward.. :p

E46Fanatic;413598 said:
Might explain some of the bad oil sludge issues we have been hearing from folks with E90's here in Malaysia. Humidity is high, and maybe the wet wet weather is not good for the oil in our engines. If so how come only effects BMWs more than other engines? Either that is that our fuel is mixed with water or something at stations which has leaky fuel tanks. I've known of a few folks who have had to overhaul their relatively low mileage N52's due to oil sludge or oil dissapearing issues and some of us were speculating how come it happens to only some and not others. Anyway food for thought..

I heard this sludge thingy only affects 4 cylinder beemers a lot. It started from the E46. Not sure about the 6 cylinders.

B33mEr;413554 said:
The pic above is also referred to as German Castrol or GC as bro meinauto pointed out ... It's LL-01 :top: Very the rare :D

i managed to source this minyak, but the seller said its booked already. damn!

funfer_fahrer;413727 said:
I heard this sludge thingy only affects 4 cylinder beemers a lot. It started from the E46. Not sure about the 6 cylinders.

Hmmm maybe, but the causes of sludge are universal:
1. Short trips resulting in oil operating below optimum temp and poor circulation
2. Low revs all the time resulting in lack of oil circulation in the top end
3. Using mineral or semi-synth oils which start breaking down from the word go
4. Old coolant topped-up with tap water which becomes an acidic electrolyte
5. Inefficient air filter which lets dust and water particles into the engine

No disrespect meant, but women drivers are often guilty of the first two. High performance engines are more susceptible than family car engines because of their design. It can also be argued that all this long-life 25,000km service interval advertising is good for marketing but increases sludge risk.

All the causes are preventable with regular maintenance and revving up our BMWs as they were designed for. These are proud sports saloons, not marketing trip run-abouts. :wink:

Spaceman;413750 said:
i managed to source this minyak, but the seller said its booked already. damn!

Ithink i know which seller you're talking about :D Apparently they stopped bringing in GC simply bcos the supplier wanted a minimum order of 1 pallette which equates to 700 litres (1 lit packaging) and based on market price that amounts to RM28k:eek: The search continues ... but the seller from Australia looks legit based on the feedback stats on his page

B33mEr;413778 said:
Ithink i know which seller you're talking about :D Apparently they stopped bringing in GC simply bcos the supplier wanted a minimum order of 1 pallette which equates to 700 litres (1 lit packaging) and based on market price that amounts to RM28k:eek: The search continues ... but the seller from Australia looks legit based on the feedback stats on his page

looking at so many of us here on the board, i dont mind storing up 20 litres at one go which should last me quite a while....a group buy is definitely worthwhile, we want the best minyak for our bimmer! :top:

btw, r u the one who booked my GC syntec 0w30? u'd better own up!!!! :mad:

Spaceman;413790 said:
looking at so many of us here on the board, i dont mind storing up 20 litres at one go which should last me quite a while....a group buy is definitely worthwhile, we want the best minyak for our bimmer! :top:

btw, r u the one who booked my GC syntec 0w30? u'd better own up!!!! :mad:

:65: ..... lol :D

Wrote to BMW M'sia about the Castrol SLX 0w30 (with pic attached) which i bought from a dealer...

here's their reply:

Dear Mr. xxx,

SLX is not a true synthethic as it is a group III oil as opposed to GC which is group IV ... according to the oil seller lah ... Will try to get more info on that matter aka the internet :D

Someone confirmed to you that the SLX we're discussing is a Group III hydrocracked mineral? May we know who? The confusing thing is that SLX's are generally Group IV, but my suspicions were raised when there was no "Fully Synthetic" on the front label. Anyone selling a Group IV PAO synthetic will proudly put that on the front.

Schwepps;413904 said:
Someone confirmed to you that the SLX we're discussing is a Group III hydrocracked mineral? May we know who? The confusing thing is that SLX's are generally Group IV, but my suspicions were raised when there was no "Fully Synthetic" on the front label. Anyone selling a Group IV PAO synthetic will proudly put that on the front.

the guy from castrol UK replied that the SLX (pics shown) is a full synthetic.

Yeah...but he also said he's not familiar with this particular SLX. This is obviously a regional blend, not a global one, as it doesn't appear in the Castrol website. Non-PAO oils will never qualify for BMW LL-xx, which may be why it can't be described so on the label. Finally, it was Castrol who fought Mobil for the right to call Group III minerals as fully synthetics in the US...and won. All points in one direction unfortunately.

I wonder if En Shukor is following this thread.. :p I can imagine he tabik to u all lio.. :p

Schwepps;413913 said:
Yeah...but he also said he's not familiar with this particular SLX. This is obviously a regional blend, not a global one, as it doesn't appear in the Castrol website. Non-PAO oils will never qualify for BMW LL-xx, which may be why it can't be described so on the label. Finally, it was Castrol who fought Mobil for the right to call Group III minerals as fully synthetics in the US...and won. All points in one direction unfortunately.

That's why we need someone from Castrol Malaysia to explain why this 0w30 made by castrol malaysia isnt officially sold in the market....i smell something fishy...

E46Fanatic;413598 said:
Might explain some of the bad oil sludge issues we have been hearing from folks with E90's here in Malaysia. Humidity is high, and maybe the wet wet weather is not good for the oil in our engines. If so how come only effects BMWs more than other engines? Either that is that our fuel is mixed with water or something at stations which has leaky fuel tanks. I've known of a few folks who have had to overhaul their relatively low mileage N52's due to oil sludge or oil dissapearing issues and some of us were speculating how come it happens to only some and not others. Anyway food for thought..

took a pic from the oil cap...can we tell anything? looks clean and new..

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Spaceman;413960 said:
looks like i gotta get the Edge Sport 0w40 for my car then...:rolleyes:

Safer Spaceman. B33mEr dug up some interesting threads.

The first one has a statement from BP Lubricants: BP's 'Clean Performance TechnologyTM' is a totally new 'Low SAPs' formulation containing lower levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur compared with conventional oils. Put it this way, a Group IV polyalphaolefin has NO SAPs. That's the whole point of hydrocarbons synthesized at molecular level in a chemical plant - there are no impurities. Group II solvent refined minerals have lots of SAPs. Group III hydrocracked minerals have far fewer SAPs, but there is still some remaining. It's the SAPs that break down and turn the oil into sludge.

Look on the back label of the SLX bottles you pictured. You'll see 'Clean Performance TachnologyTM'. :rolleyes:

The second one from bobistheoilguy is an American thread. The Yanks are always debating whether their oils are G-III or G-IV, courtesy of you know who. :laugh: Use a US-blended 'fully synth' oil and you'll never be sure whether you're using a G-IV or G-III. If I lived in the US, I would trust only Mobil One because they were dead against calling a G-III a fully synth. :wink:

Spaceman;413961 said:
took a pic from the oil cap...can we tell anything? looks clean and new..

You can't really tell from the oil cap - that's an urban legend. Just change the oil and look at what comes out. Run the car first, so that the oil is hot and flows out easily.

Top Bottom