Anyone using Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Spaceman;413276 said:
The SLX Pro Powerflow labels has these words "Approved for VW 502 00/ 503 01/ 505 00; MB-APPROVAL 229.31/ 229.51;" exactly the same as 0w40 Edge Sport, minus the "Porsche ..... BMW LL-04..."

can we assume siince the SLX Pro Powerflow meets the same standards for VW & MB as per Edge Sport 0w40, we can then assume it works for BMW LL-04?

how can i contact En Shukor? helo...

You can contact him through our club president. He's in touch with En Shukor most of the time.

funfer_fahrer;413323 said:
You can contact him through our club president. He's in touch with En Shukor most of the time.

So, can we kindly invite our Mr President to pass this confusing product query to En. Shukor of Castrol Malaysia? Is Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow 0w30 conforms to BMW Longlife standards LL-01/ LL-04? :top:

Spaceman;413338 said:
So, can we kindly invite our Mr President to pass this confusing product query to En. Shukor of Castrol Malaysia? Is Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow 0w30 conforms to BMW Longlife standards LL-01/ LL-04? :top:

Just PM albundy. I think he knows what to do.

yesterday i wrote to Castrol UK via their website enquiry form, asking about the SLX in Malaysia.

QUESTION : Dear Castrol,
I am from Malaysia. I have recently discovered a Castrol product 'SLX Professional Powerflow 0w30' with no details available from the Malaysia Castrol website. I therefore would like to know if this product is compliant to BMW LL-01/ BMW LL-04. My car is BMW E90 325i.
Here's the pics of the product.
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/B33merman/DSC00255.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/B33merman/DSC00256.jpg
Thank you.

and they replied such:

Dear Mr. XX

The oil pictured is not a grade I am familiar with in the UK, and does not contain any BMW specifications at all - so I would not recommend this oil for any BMW under warranty - it does meet a high Mercedes diesel specification and is a full synthetic 0W-30 so I would suggest that for top up on an out of warranty car this could be used.
I would however recommend using an oil that has a BMW specification on the pack to be sure of proper performance and protection.

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Automotive Lubricants Technical Advisor
http://www.castrol.com/uk

B33mEr;413320 said:
Bro ... 0W means the weight of oil during cold and the weightage of oil when hot which 30W or 40W. The 1st which is 0W matters when cold and the 2nd set which 30W matters when in hot condition. I am oversimplifying it but that is the most basic understanding (that i understand :D).

Yes, the lower fig is the weight at 0C and the higher fig is the weight at 100C. Which is why 0W is recommended for countries with extreme winters, something we don't see here very often. :wink:

Schwepps;413301 said:
If you're worried it's a bit 'thick', IMO whether it's 30W or 40W doesn't matter in our hot climate, and we certainly don't need 0W at the lower end. I can't remember the last time we had snow and ice here! :)

Based on forummer's experience with our free Castrol Edge 40W oil, its thick and makes the engine feel sluggish and lazy. It was bad enough for our forummer to drain it out and use back OEM dealer oil shortly after the Edge 40W oil topup. I used the BMWCM Edge 40W free bottle on the Jazz and it also suffered higher FC and engine felt less peppy than using the OEM mineral based 30W Vtec-Lev oil. From protection point of view its probably fine, but from a performance point of view, it does not seem optimal for the N52.

Yes, agree E46F. Most drivers would use 40W only for older engines. In the back of my mind though, I've read somewhere before that a 0W-30 oil may not provide sufficient protection to parts of the engine during hot, low-rev periods (traffic jams) in tropical countries. Not that I care, because I use 0W-30 too. :D

Schwepps;413315 said:
Sure, but I respectfully disagree. The rule of thumb is 5W for countries with winters and 10W for countries without. We are SO without winters here, so why do we need 0W, which is more for sub-arctic regions like Scandinavia? In fact if the oil is too low in viscosity when the engine is running hot (eg. a traffic jam in our midday sun) it's actually not getting enough protection.

Schwepps;413388 said:
Yes, the lower fig is the weight at 0C and the higher fig is the weight at 100C. Which is why 0W is recommended for countries with extreme winters, something we don't see here very often. :wink:

Schwepps;413406 said:
Yes, agree E46F. Most drivers would use 40W only for older engines. In the back of my mind though, I've read somewhere before that a 0W-30 oil may not provide sufficient protection to parts of the engine during hot, low-rev periods (traffic jams) in tropical countries. Not that I care, because I use 0W-30 too. :D

You don't practice what you preached??? that's kinda funny ... Which oil are you using currently as i couldn't find 0W-30 that is LL01 or 04 ... the only i manage to find and work best so far is Havoline 5W-30 which is LL-01 approved :top:

Bro, I wasn't preaching anything. Read my post - I was giving Spaceman my opinion that it's ok to use the Edge 0W-40. You started the debate on the low temp weight and I disagree, that's all. That's preaching? :stupid:

I have read your post lol ... the question is ... have you??? You said 0W is not suitable for our climates where it is suitable for scandinavian or arctic climate in fact you made 3 post about it if that isn't preaching i don't know what is lol... and yet you're using 0W-30 lol :stupid: So why are using 0W-30 if it's only suitable for arctic weather then???

:eek: You read "we certainly don't need 0W at the lower end" as "0W is not suitable for our climates". I can't see where I said it's not suitable in any of my posts. Whatever then, you're right and I'm wrong.

Bro i do respect your opinion and i am sorry if i have offended you in anyway .. Please do share any info in obtaining 0W-30 oils if you have any ... So far what works best for me is Havoline 5W-30 :top: Am wanting to use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (an elixir for BMW engines apparently) and iirc is BMW approved LL-01 oil too .. There's one internet seller in JB that sells it but have discontinued from lack of response i think. Another oil that's been raved about all over the US and UK forums would be Mobil 1 0W-40 which is reportedly on the light side of 30.

Neither do I have any intentions of offending you brudder. :knuddel:

My bad about saying I use 0W-30. I'm using dealer's Syntium 5W-30. That's the thing, I don't focus on the lower weight and was thinking more about the 30W/40W issue. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary to pay more for 0W here.

It IS difficult to get fully synth LL-xx oils here, and one always has to be careful they're not ciplak too.

30W is definitely thinner than 40W and the Honda LEV 30W is a great mineral oil. These 10W-30 are what we call Kancil oil la.. :p Castrol also got.. M-Tec but 3L only.. :p Oil thin,of course got pick up lor.. best drain every 5k km, if not 3k km.. :p

My regular spare part shop sells a lot of LEV. Mobil 1 has 0W-20 while Royal Purple has 0W-10, which I think can easily vaporise in our climate.. :p

Oils are getting thinner for fuel efficiency, and drain interval to be extended for environmental friendliness. Its seems for the bigger picture, protecting the environment is more crucial.. low sludge oil are a main challenge and now they are working on GF-5 standard.. more.. which specifically focus in low sludge so drain interval can be extended and of course, to improve fuel efficiency, piston cleanliness and cleaner emission.

Now, who say sludge is not cause by oil? read on..

Oil sludge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oil sludge or black sludge is a solid or gel in motor oil caused by the oil gelling or solidifying, usually at temperatures lower than 100 degrees Celsius. Sludge can be a major contributor to Internal combustion engine problems, and can require the engine to be replaced, if the damage is severe. Sludge is usually caused by the presence of water in the oil, and can accumulate with use. Ways to minimize sludge production and accumulation includes performing frequent oil changes, using synthetic oil and following the manufacturer's engine maintenance routine.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sludge

So, sludge is cause by water.. !! :eek: is anxious reading this?! :p

wow, 0w40 is sluggish and powerless! ...

i think its highly i will try out the SLX 0w30 and see if the engine is noisier. will try for couple of days since its Fully Synthetic as confirmed by Castrol UK.

i opened up the bottle just now and tested it with my finger, its really thin and it took a while to wash it off with detergent. very thin yet sticky, good sign IMO.

anyway, i wrote another email to Castrol UK asking them to compare the 0w30 vs 0w40 if lower viscosity is better in this case...

Spaceman;413454 said:
wow, 0w40 is sluggish and powerless! castrol's claim 45% more power is all bullshit..

Dude, I suggest you to re-read carefully what Castrol claims with the new 0-40W Edge Sport. Click on the banner, and listen carefully.

Cheers

interesting discussion...just to add a few thoughts

Not all 30 weights are the same. IIRC, the 0w-30 Castrol GC from Germany was pretty heavy and close to a 40 weight. Hence if you really want to be sure, compare the Castrol Edge Sport viscosity with a commonly used BMW approved 30 weight oil

Another thing which most manufacturers do not state the the HTSC (or something like that) which measure shear at high temps. That would also help you decide between two similarly weighted oils

And lastly, if you want to venture into non-BMW approved oils, look for oils with ACEA A3 and if possible API SM, and change more often eg at every 10k kms

ALBundy;413469 said:
Dude, I suggest you to re-read carefully what Castrol claims with the new 0-40W Edge Sport. Click on the banner, and listen carefully.

Cheers

opps...my bad! :eek:

45% longer....woohoo like the 'Vigra' that can 'tahan' 45% lama... alamak! salah faham betul la ni!

correct also, 40wt oil - thicker can last long ! veri true.. veri true!

Spaceman;413476 said:
opps...my bad! :eek:

45% longer....woohoo like the 'Vigra' that can 'tahan' 45% lama... alamak! salah faham betul la ni!

correct also, 40wt oil - thicker can last long ! veri true.. veri true!

lol ... how do you know it's true??? sudah try ke? :D

also, Mr President, would you kindly pass our 'headache' discussion to En Shukor why the 0W30 SLX Professional Powerflow which doesnt carry BMW LL...? Is it the better oil than the 0w40?

Top Bottom