Anyone using Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
American Petroleum Institute service category ratings. Info from one site:

The latest service category rating for gasoline engines is "SM", introduced in November 2004 for 2005 and newer engines. SM-rated oils along with the previous "SL" (2001) and "SJ" (1997) ratings, are backwards compatible and can be safely used in older engines. But the opposite is not true. Older obsolete service classifications (SH, SG, SF, etc.) may not meet OEM lubrication requirements for newer engines. Likewise, API SL oils should not be used in 2005 and later vehicles, and SJ oils should not be used in 2001 and newer vehicles.

And the API site itself: http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

Spaceman, it may not be correct to say that "Castrol SLX is G-III". More correct to limit that statement to the SLX Pro Powerflow 0W-30 available here. Not all Helixes and Syntiums are G-IV either, only Helix Ultra AB and Syntium 3000 and above.

When you talk to your dealer about the OEM BMW LL 0W-40 on Monday, ask what is the OEM oil. It could be a Castrol, Syntium or (unlikely) some other brand. I think the OEM BMW LL 5W-30 top-up oil we can get at AB, IA and SA is Syntium 3000.

Schwepps;414164 said:
Spaceman, it may not be correct to say that "Castrol SLX is G-III". More correct to limit that statement to the SLX Pro Powerflow 0W-30 available here. Not all Helixes and Syntiums are G-IV either, only Helix Ultra AB and Syntium 3000 and above.

When you talk to your dealer about the OEM BMW LL 0W-40 on Monday, ask what is the OEM oil. It could be a Castrol, Syntium or (unlikely) some other brand. I think the OEM BMW LL 5W-30 top-up oil we can get at AB, IA and SA is Syntium 3000.

Will do.
The one that i asked in S'pore is packed by BMW in 1 litre bottle. As for the Malaysian dealer ones i need to confirm if the BMW 0w40 1 litre oil is from Germany or else where.

BMW oil is OEM, meaning they put their name on the product of another company. I checked with IA: the 1 lit top-up oil you can buy from the dealers here isn't Syntium, it's Castrol 5W-30 LL-01. No idea what the dealers in Singapore sell, but it's probably the same.

i was quoted by the local dealer the SAE 0w40 Longlife 01 is price at RM117/ litre!

anyway, i'll see what the BMW stokist in s'pore has by this evening...they said is from Germany BMW AG...lets see

Spaceman;414778 said:
i was quoted by the local dealer the SAE 0w40 Longlife 01 is price at RM117/ litre!

anyway, i'll see what the BMW stokist in s'pore has by this evening...they said is from Germany BMW AG...lets see
Spaceman, if u r talking about Eng Soon, i think the price for BMW OEM Oil LL-04 oil about S$13/liter.

Just got the oil back from S'pore. yes, its Eng Soon. I bought $18 a bottle, 8 bottles total + 2 oil filter.

here's the pic, it flew in from Germany by BMW AG...fresh hot!:wink:

DSC00262a.jpg

Schwepps;414781 said:
If it's not the BMW dealers you're talking to, then who is the dealer?

My friend work in the BMW dealer in Kedah. She told me that yesterday.

I think you can order the just about any BMW part from a BMW dealer. Try IA, i think they can indent it for you. You can refer to the webpage i posted earlier.

I bought the 0w40 cos its LL-04 since there's only 1 type available from Eng Soon.
The 0w30 does not come in LL-04 spec, but i think i might try it if they sell them next time.

Good for you. Finally! And at a good price too. I believe it's a Castrol, which is good if it's LL-04.

had my engine oil changed this afternoon. well, not too bad. This oil is thicker compare to the previous ones. Travel at 120km/h, the rpm is a hair close to 2500. The previous if i not mistaken, is lower than that about 2350-2400rpm.

Taking from 120 to 160 is somehow not as fast as i wish to, felt a bit heavy...

Will see in a couple of days time, if not like it will drain out.

funny u experienced sluggishness. i felt the car more responsive. i used ravenol 0-40W . its LL01, german made oil. smoother engine and less noisy. Could it be a subjective ?

Spaceman;415248 said:
had my engine oil changed this afternoon. well, not too bad. This oil is thicker compare to the previous ones. Travel at 120km/h, the rpm is a hair close to 2500. The previous if i not mistaken, is lower than that about 2350-2400rpm.

Taking from 120 to 160 is somehow not as fast as i wish to, felt a bit heavy...

Will see in a couple of days time, if not like it will drain out.

oil can make the car rev differently? i tot the gearing ratios is the one that sums up to the final drive speed and engine speed in relative? the effect u are feeling is smooth engine operation maybe...

why is it selling for so much more in bolehland??

Spaceman;414864 said:
Just got the oil back from S'pore. yes, its Eng Soon. I bought $18 a bottle, 8 bottles total + 2 oil filter.

here's the pic, it flew in from Germany by BMW AG...fresh hot!:wink:

DSC00262a.jpg

t2ribena;420559 said:
oil can make the car rev differently? i tot the gearing ratios is the one that sums up to the final drive speed and engine speed in relative? the effect u are feeling is smooth engine operation maybe...

No t2, we are not using an manual box here, instead a pressurized torque converter. So using lighter or smoother oil would contribute some differences in the rpm becoming a little lower at certain speed. Even putting in a voltage stabilizer would do the same. We can even experience transmission shift delay due to the improve torque. You will notice more frequent down shift in a hot afternoon versus a cool rainy morning.

t2ribena;420559 said:

I had the oil changed when i was down to replace my steering column the other day, the SC updated my software of the car so, maybe the car was trying to learn my diving habbit thus the slow response i guess. I could tell from the gear change which is not as smooth initially but was getting better after some sprited drives..

Top Bottom