Anyone using Castrol Edge Sport 0w40

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;412886 said:
6k alright ma ... x1.6 = 9,600km.. sounds about right wor.. :p only the 3k (4.5km) oil filter change interval sounds a bit too soon..

Good point Mahaguru! But that in itself is a clarification of an essentially American view. :top:

0W30 is called castrol synthec AFAIK not available locally ... A lot of people (US and UK) swear by those stuff ... Ask him where can we get it ? how much he selling :D

I have tried all the three variants (10-60, 5-40 and 0-40), courtesy of Castrol Malaysia who gave me a couple of bottles to tried out before they launched it.

For me, the 0-40W Edge is awesome. Not only has fuel consumption improved, but the engine revs seemed to pick up faster based on the butt dyno. :top:

I met En. Shukor and other Castrol staff during the recent Fast N Furious premiere and they are keen to have another Oil Talk like what we did previously.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers :)

Castrol Powerflow Pro SLX 0w30

Managed to get 2 bottles of these. But it didnt say a single words of BMW LL-01/ LL-04.
Is this the imitation or what?

here's the pic front & back.

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

Also took a look at the Edge Sport 0w40 at the Castrol Service dealer, the back of the bottle does have the BMW LL-04.

If the rating is in order, 0w30 -> 0w40 (rank from highiest standards).

Why didn't Castrol put down relevant compliant standards in their SLX Powerflow labels?
And if the viscosity is - the lower the better quality, can we assume that the 0w30 is BMW Longlife approved?

can we ask some expert to come explain this? before i pour this thing into my engine.

Bro Spaceman, Edge and SLX are different product ranges lar. Edge is their latest and greatest, and is the one approved by BMW and complies with LL specs.

What is the price difference between the SLX Professional Powerflow 0W-30 and Edge Sport 0W-40 BTW? From that, you can usually tell whether it's a fully Group 4 oil or a blend of Group 3 and 4.

Farnee to note that this SLX bearing a Malaysian barcode, and Malaysian address with Malaysian Toll Free number, but not available in the Castrol website.. :stupid:

Spaceman;413233 said:
Also took a look at the Edge Sport 0w40 at the Castrol Service dealer, the back of the bottle does have the BMW LL-04.

If the rating is in order, 0w30 -> 0w40 (rank from highiest standards).

Why didn't Castrol put down relevant compliant standards in their SLX Powerflow labels?
And if the viscosity is - the lower the better quality, can we assume that the 0w30 is BMW Longlife approved?

can we ask some expert to come explain this? before i pour this thing into my engine.

the 0W30 or 0W40 is the viscosity rating...it has nothing to do with with rank from highest std as u stated...

kancil uses weight 30 too..and their oil is just less than rm50

glock_8;413245 said:
the 0W30 or 0W40 is the viscosity rating...it has nothing to do with with rank from highest std as u stated...

kancil uses weight 30 too..and their oil is just less than rm50

That one is 10w-30 (confirm not 5W-30 or 0W-30, if not 15W-30:p) and 3L.. :p

Maybe the SLX has additive for race use, that's why not suitable for street car, just like the Torco SR5.. :eek: :p

astroboy;413252 said:

And not Group 4 fully synthetic. Might not even be Group 3 at that price. :wink:

astroboy;413252 said:
Maybe the SLX has additive for race use, that's why not suitable for street car, just like the Torco SR5.. :eek: :p

No way hozay. I think SLX is not one of their mainstream global product lines, and is only sold in certain markets.

GCpic01.jpg

This is what you guys (and me) should be using ... Good stuff :top:

Oil analysis on a BMW car

083007gcceratecxi1.jpg

I think SLX is semi synthethic???

astroboy;413252 said:

For race use the band has to be narrower than 0W-30. Something like 20w-30.

Schwepps;413237 said:
Bro Spaceman, Edge and SLX are different product ranges lar. Edge is their latest and greatest, and is the one approved by BMW and complies with LL specs.

What is the price difference between the SLX Professional Powerflow 0W-30 and Edge Sport 0W-40 BTW? From that, you can usually tell whether it's a fully Group 4 oil or a blend of Group 3 and 4.

The price is about the same as the Edge Sport 0w40.

So, can or cannot use? The bottle does not mention anything like 'Fully Synthetic'...makes me wonder too!

Spaceman;413268 said:

So, can or cannot use? The bottle does not mention anything like 'Fully Synthetic'...makes me wonder too!

Take note of the batch number and confirm it with En Shukor of Castrol Malaysia.

The SLX Pro Powerflow labels has these words "Approved for VW 502 00/ 503 01/ 505 00; MB-APPROVAL 229.31/ 229.51;" exactly the same as 0w40 Edge Sport, minus the "Porsche ..... BMW LL-04..."

can we assume siince the SLX Pro Powerflow meets the same standards for VW & MB as per Edge Sport 0w40, we can then assume it works for BMW LL-04?

how can i contact En Shukor? helo...

Spaceman;413268 said:

For rest of world oils, if it doesn't say fully synth and BMW LL-xx on the bottle, it's because they legally can't, ie. they don't comply. (That doesn't hold true for US oils) If it's the same price, then why don't you get the Edge Sport and be sure of what you're using - a fully synth BMW LL-xx oil? Edge is Castrol's top of the line oil.

If you're worried it's a bit 'thick', IMO whether it's 30W or 40W doesn't matter in our hot climate, and we certainly don't need 0W at the lower end. I can't remember the last time we had snow and ice here! :)

Schwepps;413301 said:
For rest of world oils, if it doesn't say fully synth and BMW LL-xx on the bottle, it's because they legally can't, ie they don't comply. (That doesn't hold true for US oils) If it's the same price, then why don't you get the Edge Sport and be sure of what you're using - a fully synth BMW LL-xx oil? Castrol Edge is the oil recommended in the e90 manual.

If you're worried it's a bit 'thick', IMO 30W or 40W doesn't matter in our hot climate, and we certainly don't need 0W. I can't remember the last time we had snow and ice here! :)

0W, 5W and 10W have varying viscocity when cold ... Ideally 0W-XX is best simply because at low temps it is thin where by it takes less pressure needed (and faster) to get the oil into circulation and easier to get into tiny spaces in the engine during cold start-ups. Plus 0W-40 is more expensive than 5W-40 ... go figure :D

Sure, but I respectfully disagree. The rule of thumb is 5W for countries with winters and 10W for countries without. We are SO without winters here, so why do we need 0W, which is more for sub-arctic regions like Scandinavia? In fact if the oil is too low in viscosity when the engine is running hot (eg. a traffic jam in our midday sun) it's actually not getting enough protection.

Schwepps;413315 said:
Sure, but I respectfully disagree. The rule of thumb is 5W for countries with winters and 10W for countries without. We are SO without winters here, so why do we need 0W, which is more for sub-arctic regions like Scandinavia? In fact if the oil is too low in viscosity when the engine is running hot (eg. a traffic jam in our midday sun) it's actually not getting enough protection.

Bro ... 0W means the weight of oil during cold and the weightage of oil when hot which 30W or 40W. The 1st which is 0W matters when cold and the 2nd set which 30W matters when in hot condition. I am oversimplifying it but that is the most basic understanding (that i understand :D).

Please refer to: www.bobistheoilguy.com it's a well respected forum where tribologists, chemists, and oil analysis professionals participate and contribute to the forum plus a wealth of material and resources when it comes to lubrication .

Schwepps;413301 said:
For rest of world oils, if it doesn't say fully synth and BMW LL-xx on the bottle, it's because they legally can't, ie. they don't comply. (That doesn't hold true for US oils) If it's the same price, then why don't you get the Edge Sport and be sure of what you're using - a fully synth BMW LL-xx oil? Edge is Castrol's top of the line oil.

If you're worried it's a bit 'thick', IMO whether it's 30W or 40W doesn't matter in our hot climate, and we certainly don't need 0W at the lower end. I can't remember the last time we had snow and ice here! :)

yep, you have a point there!

one thing that makes me nuts is that you can easily find info of SLX Pro Powerflow 0w30 with BMW LL-04 from the net where BMW LL-04 clearly written on the label.
similarly, in M'sia we managed to find the same line of product but w/o the BMW LL-01/04.

Top Bottom