3series e36 Glove compartment

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i think most spare parts shop will be able to order it for you if you provide the part number. I cant confirm cause i myself havent done it

Guys,

I had the same problem when I got my ride - after opening the glove box a few times the outer cover split got bigger. So, took off the cover and completely split the outer cover from its base. This is what took a long time to do - removing the old factory glue! You must completely remove the old glue if you want the new glue to stick properly. I used Araldite slow curing epoxy glue (12 Hr). After applying the glue, you must clamp the two surfaces together - I used something heavy to hold it down on the work table. Installed the cover back into the glove box the next day. So far its been 8 months and still holding well.

Originally posted by Fireblade@Jan 7 2005, 12:16 PM
Guys,

I had the same problem when I got my ride - after opening the glove box a few times the outer cover split got bigger. So, took off the cover and completely split the outer cover from its base. This is what took a long time to do - removing the old factory glue! You must completely remove the old glue if you want the new glue to stick properly. I used Araldite slow curing epoxy glue (12 Hr). After applying the glue, you must clamp the two surfaces together - I used something heavy to hold it down on the work table. Installed the cover back into the glove box the next day. So far its been 8 months and still holding well.
Should have used contact glue... easier to work with but have to tolerate the smell for about a week.. :p

Contact glue is just not strong enough to hold it together. Believe me, I've been using this Araldite for years and so far has given me good results if applied porperly.

Mine has slight opening of about 10mm gap and I just used good quality Superglue to glue it and it is fine until now for more than 9 months already. Just make sure you use quality glue and not those fake one. Araldite red and blue should be fine as well.

mine can't be closed fully (the light inside always on)...... and when open can't be opened fully :(

Originally posted by willie@Jan 7 2005, 11:31 PM
mine can't be closed fully (the light inside always on)...... and when open can't be opened fully :(
you got too much thing in your glove compartment.. :D :lol:

Originally posted by three28@Jan 10 2005, 02:13 PM
cool...

the trial will be done in 2 weeks ...

sorry ler lambat sikit
oki, i m a-waiting... :D

to have a stronghold, use silicone glue (branded) and a strong double side foam tape. you will need to dismantle the compartment, lid in between to openwide and...
- scrap away the old silicon glue completely...
- once finish, wipe and clean...
- put doubleside foam tape everycorner (inner a bit-after glue area) and center area...
- add in silicone glue every corner on both side almost to the edge. also add in on center area, on both side too... do not put it on double side foam tape...
- once done, leave it for 15 to 30 second, than join them together...
- use strong black paper clips to clip it around. do not remove...
- once done, place a hard object on the center by placing it on the floor or whatever you think is right. as long it can be pressed together...
- leave it for 12 to 24 hours. for first 1 to 3 hour in between, try adjust by moving the black clips around every angle, especially the corner edge. but if you have the black clips at every angle, than it is no need to do so...
- scrap away unwanted glue that might stray out. do it slowly if you do not want to leave a scratch mark on it. pakai cutter blade dah cukup...
- when fixing back, make sure it is slotted properly, if not, when closing, it will not be level. sometime also need to check the black hard cover underneath the compartment. make sure the lobang screw for hard cover underneath are properly place when screwing.

my experience so far...

Top Bottom