1st oil change for E9x

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

astroboy

I am pretty sure we all want our UDM to last forever and thus, is 1st oil change interval being drag too long in our E9x? i.e. 10k km for 6-potter and 25k km for 4-potter.I did some search in the internet and discovered the following:1. European cars engine manufacturing process has improved to a stage where break-in oil change is no longer needed. Dunno how true le...2. E90 has engine oil quality check mechanism, thus able to tell the quality of engine oil and can very accurately signals the owner when oil change is necessary, on top of just gauge by odometer readings. Again, dunno true or not. What it means is (if this is true) an oil change before oil change indicator lits, and without reseting the service indicator, would result in the mileage estimation to next oil change be extended? Instead of having say 10k km till the next oil change, now u may see u have another 25k km to go, after oil change without reseting the indicator?? :rolleyes: Any E9x owner has this experience?And I know there will be mix reaction to my posting as some may say "Just follow the instruction la" or "Just go to SC and pay RM500 for the job when ever u feel like doing it la" See... now I risking being "fired" back when I "fired" at others too much.. :D Taste of my own medicine.. :DAny comments is appreciated, Thanks!

AB,

when are u going to service, mine hit 4k++ liao lo still not yet service. worried le.. kehkehkeh but my odo still says firmly "only" 29,000kms to go!!!

Wah! :eek: how come 29k km to go? It should start with 25k km counting down wat ???

Planning to do my first oil change at 5k interval, haven't decided who to service my E90 yet... now only 2.4k km.. :D Still got a month or 2 to go.

I like the unofficial comments in this area from our visitor who was with us in the last E90 gathering... :p

Anyway, no harm if anything much better to do precautionary oil changes at 10k kms intervals.

E46Fanatic;288745 said:
I like the unofficial comments in this area from our visitor who was with us in the last E90 gathering... :p

Anyway, no harm if anything much better to do precautionary oil changes at 10k kms intervals.

Eh, what was his comments again?

Kindly ignore irrelevant postings or comments... that way, you live longer.... before u end up a dead cat.... "curiosity kills the cat".. :D

Thanks E46F for your comment. Actually I know the more frequent of oil replacement is better... but I'm really interested to find out about the "technology" of engine oil quality sensing mechanism some say our car has. Sure ada ka? If its true, then forever no need to reset service indicator lor... because it can read we have clean oil ma.. :eek:

And why Alex's car still has 29k km to go till next service nia? I think Alex is too gentle to the car la.. :D

Can I hear from those who did the 1st "premature" oil replacement outside, just to save cost? Did u reset the service indicator? how is the reading now?

Thanks. ;)

actually our car uses a different Shell Helix Ultra,

its known as Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30

quoted from the leaflet "... is approved by leading car manufacturers such as DaimlerChrysler, BMW, VW in support of increased oil change intervals..."

its made according to BMW's Longlife 01 standards.

compared to the normal oil at the same 5W-30 specs (Shell Helix Ultra too)

it has lower Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 and 100C

a lower viscosity index

lower density

any engineers care to explain further?

ALO!!! Alex... am asking about the BMW technology on how it detect oil quality and how oil change without reseting the service indicator would affect the reading la.. :D now u pulak asking for information on oil... :(

Anyway... your question is interesting too... but trust me... too little people qualify to answer your question la... who knows, maybe all Helix-es are the same, just packed and price differently.. :D So if the engineer were to answer u, its breaking their own rice bowl la.. :D

AB,

was thinking its part of the main topic: 1st oil change for E9x. hehe...

maybee there's a viscosity sensor + oil optical clarity meter to check the quality (as oil age the optical clarity will drop and viscosity increase due to sludge build up right?)

Aiyooo... don't give me maybe.. comment la if we have to trust the sensing mechanism.. :(

Still don't understand why your service indicator is reading 29k km to go, while all of us starts with 25k km and work its way down..... how come ah?? maybe something is wrong with your car!! :eek:... can do urself a favor? call SC and find out for us.. :D

Thanks you! Thank you..!

i will after i done flying up n down kl-jb and c if it does count down after that. maybee my minyak so good till can last 29k kms b4 need to change. like tat good la.

hahaha..hey guys..by the way, i'm a chemical engineer by training..
there's no such thing as an easy viscosity sensor, as viscosity can only be measured using a viscometer (rotating cup method). the 2nd method suggested by AlexNg is a possibility...since optical sensor to detect absorbance or transmittance is widely used.

our climate a little too humid and dusty, so there would be more soot from the combustion. Anyway, cleaner oil gives the engine a fresh renewed life.

mnas;288848 said:
hahaha..hey guys..by the way, i'm a chemical engineer by training..
there's no such thing as an easy viscosity sensor, as viscosity can only be measured using a viscometer (rotating cup method). the 2nd method suggested by AlexNg is a possibility...since optical sensor to detect absorbance or transmittance is widely used.

thanks for correcting me bro, i totally suck at chemistry (but bolehlah at biochemistry) hehe...

i think the optic meter is quite possible too, hehe... so anymore experiences by u guys?:rock:

Hey guys..... Gong Xi Fa Cai.... drive safely for those who travels outstation. Enjoy the festival :D

will be going to AutoBavaria this Sat for oil change since it already touched 10k km today...coincidental that the engine oil level indicated a need for addition of 1 liter

I have just got my first 10k km service recently and coincidental that the engine oil level indicated a need for addition of 1 liter, same like yours mnas. After the service, the engine is much smoother now. More powderful too :)

when mine was at 4500km,my oil level dropped to 3rd out of five squares on my idrive...a huge drop i would say.SA told me most probably bcos i did two outstation trips two weekends in a row and so its normal and told me to drive on.

then i changed my oil at 8000km at AB and now did another change outside at 16000km.i bought Q8 fully synthetic only because of same viscosity at 5W30 with AB's oil...hope this Q8 is good enuf.

Top Bottom