Which E60?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gamenoob

Club Guest
I was looking at some BMW model... starting with E90 at the used market scene but ended up seeing a few E60. The question is there seems to be so many combination,.... some 520 but actually 2.2 engine... and then 525 etc etc.Somehow I know the smaller displacement will defeat the purpose of the size of E60. I wonder if one should aim for 525 I6 instead? Is this 2.5 come with 200+ bhp? How ownership friendly this engine.. does it needs lots of TLC or a very reliable and robust unit?I have driven a brick 850 2.5 for almost 5 yrs and clock up to 250k Km(I bought when its 6 yrs old and 125k km) when I sold it off. Very reliable and smooth..not as powerful as the 2.5 I6 but give great FC when on HW cruising and yet spirited drive and never fail once...So should one aim for 2.2 or 2.5...basically I want something less of pain in terms of ownership....

if you're not brave enough to go for a diesel, then go look for a late model 530i. don't bother with the smaller petrol engines.

Aiseh Mizhan, dont la push me over the edge with the 3L... road tax and maint, I'm very sure will pengsan me for sure..

On a serious note, what the issue with BMW diesel? Are they finicky with the local diesel quality? I'm currently driving a diesel truck. Love the low end grunt....and the BMW turbo diesel is even more powerful with a much higher BHP and torque...

When was the 5XX diesel available locally... are they CKD or all CBU... or ya... My budget is less than 180k....so my choice is going to be limited...

525i and 530i maintenance no difference la... the 525 could be worse if you're unlucky. road tax for 3 litre is RM2k once a year la.. it's worth it :)

gamenoob;571250 said:
I was looking at some BMW model... starting with E90 at the used market scene but ended up seeing a few E60. The question is there seems to be so many combination,.... some 520 but actually 2.2 engine... and then 525 etc etc.

Somehow I know the smaller displacement will defeat the purpose of the size of E60. I wonder if one should aim for 525 I6 instead? Is this 2.5 come with 200+ bhp? How ownership friendly this engine.. does it needs lots of TLC or a very reliable and robust unit? So should one aim for 2.2 or 2.5...basically I want something less of pain in terms of ownership....

bro,
Depends how "deep are your pockets" and choose the one that best fits your budget. Buying one is just the beginning but keeping it running is another story altogether. On the average, E60's service & maintenance cost at least 30% more than the E46/E39. Try out the 520i, it's not as "underpowered" as many have claimed. You are the best judge? Power is relative and you just need to decide if it fits into your driving style.
Click here for more info on the engines,
http://www.5series.net/information/options/engines/

i got myself an E60 525 N52, upgraded from an E39 525 M54.
Probably should have gotten a 530.....

affan66;571435 said:
i got myself an E60 525 N52, upgraded from an E39 525 M54.
Probably should have gotten a 530.....

Says it all doesn't it? We've got two e60 525i in the family,one an m54(sold) and the other an N52(me mum's).All I can say is,this is a heavy car packed to the hilt with tech and safety addendas.218bhp/250Nm is just adequate for the car.If u want a bit of GO with ur car,nothing less tha a 530i would suffice.

BUT like someone said also,u are the best judge as to how much power/torque ur car makes.For me though,its a 530i FTW:top:

test drove 525 few months back, the power and handling felt really good.. thumbs up for 525

dear gamenoob...

from my understanding.... I found that the e60sss are altogether nice in comfort and power... just lookout for the ones with N52 engines and only take the 6 cylinders....

Then again, if you're looking for high performance (power), I recon the 320d or the 520d. This may sound weird but, from these two you actually get the nice torque feel... I don't know if you felt a turbo on a proton b4, but the pick up for these two feels just the same......

Otherwise, the E60 523i N52 is good enough. Accordingly it drive higher torque than the DC5 Honda Type R....

Good luck hunting... Just my 2 sense.... ;)

Bro,

There is not much difference in the petrol consumption in the 525 and the 530. I think I made the rite decision in getting the E60 530 N52 rather then the 525. If u have the budget get the M Sports, u'll enjoy this mean machine.

But I wonder if the BMW are more finicky with the local diesel quality. I currently drive a Triton and no issue with crappy local diesel for last 30k km.. some friends being driving for up to 100k km on previous diesel ie Euro 1... and no issue... just worry if the BM are more finicky or sensitive,...

As with our butt sensor, all those torque and HP will be seen not enough once you get used to it. A 525 might be powerful when you first have it, a month or two later it might felt inadequate. Our quest for more will never end :top:

attenbrough;571631 said:
dear gamenoob...

from my understanding.... I found that the e60sss are altogether nice in comfort and power... just lookout for the ones with N52 engines and only take the 6 cylinders....

Then again, if you're looking for high performance (power), I recon the 320d or the 520d. This may sound weird but, from these two you actually get the nice torque feel... I don't know if you felt a turbo on a proton b4, but the pick up for these two feels just the same......

Otherwise, the E60 523i N52 is good enough. Accordingly it drive higher torque than the DC5 Honda Type R....

Good luck hunting... Just my 2 sense.... ;)

:listen:..tried the E60 530d M57 engine b4?:top::top::top:

I remembered when test drive both 530 and 525 Msport before. I tried 530i first and then insist to drive 525 later. Feel lack of power from 525i. The power difference between this two N52 engines are so obvious. Finally I picked Old Man's style 530 over 525 Msport.

Jerman;571379 said:
bro,
Depends how "deep are your pockets" and choose the one that best fits your budget. Buying one is just the beginning but keeping it running is another story altogether. On the average, E60's service & maintenance cost at least 30% more than the E46/E39. Try out the 520i, it's not as "underpowered" as many have claimed. You are the best judge? Power is relative and you just need to decide if it fits into your driving style.
Click here for more info on the engines,
http://www.5series.net/information/options/engines/

agreed with u bro...previously i hv e46..recently changed to e60 525i...that 30% increment is really obvious and i think all e60 gonna be the same...so make ur decision wisely...

geewan7779;572392 said:
agreed with u bro...previously i hv e46..recently changed to e60 525i...that 30% increment is really obvious and i think all e60 gonna be the same...so make ur decision wisely...

I cannot agree with you bro... suppose newer car should incurred less maintenance..

after 1 year of my ownership of E60 M-sport 2005 model (japan specs), mileage now 50K ++, I don't have any problem, the car is superb.. only visit workshop 3 times for regular oil change 10K interval

perhaps... I was lucky to get a good car and well maintained by the previous owner..

Top Bottom