whats the best engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

supergripen

Club Guest
:D hey guys..was wondering what eng oil brand is best suited to bimmer engines? i'm using Total right now juz cuz my mech is using the brand.any inputs??

i don't think there's any particular brand of oil that's best suited for bmw... a suitable grade from any of the reputable brands (shell, mobil, caltex, castrol, etc) should do just fine...

always heard rumours saying that da best is supposedly Mobil 1 or Castrol

apparently can really feel the difference....what do you guys think?

U need to watch out, Model with 12 Vlvs minerial aftermarket oil will be ok. But for the 24Vlvs M50 engine its always best to use semi synthetic oil. According to BMW Mag Castrol Magnetic 10W/40 (if i m not wrong) rating is good enough for most BMW models.
Rdg,
LeakonU

again, no such thing as the best engine oil. depends on what is recommended by the vehicle. even if u use 20w50 also no problem as long as u change every 5000km....... must use fully synthetic lah itu lah ini lah, itu semua gimmick....... berapa byk kereta terbarai kat auto bavaria coz follow sgt recommended every 25,000km change of engine oil...... kesian aku tgk customer2 kereta tu....... mechanic nak bagi advice pun takut sbb takut kena marah dgn boss ab...... unless to close friends, ok lah.....

msia mana ada suhu -10 darjah celcius. why need oil that is so thin. msia temperature constant lah. khatulistiwa mahh.... but if u prefer 0w50, tak salah pun....... cuma to me, some ppl say if u use 20w50, engine nanti rosaklah itu lah ini lah......... i don't believe that.
kalau drive everyday mcm f1 cars, pakai engine oil apa grading pun engine cepat kong.....

unless u drive to ur workplace everyday 200km/h n must reach ur workplace 1.259 seconds faster than ur colleague, then expensive engine oil is important. normal daily driving, hentam saje any engine oil. most important, must have ur own fixed interval of oil change........

anyway, supergripen, to answer ur question, i use any brand 10w40 semi-synthetic engine oil, change it every 5000km........

:D i use fully synthetic and chg every 15000km..and the car is seldom driven.5yrs=57000km mileage.maybe i shud make it every 10000km huh???

Originally posted by supergripen@Jun 11 2005, 08:03 AM
:D i use fully synthetic and chg every 15000km..and the car is seldom driven.5yrs=57000km mileage.maybe i shud make it every 10000km huh???
the best oil is fresh oil.

bmw recommend we change oil every 15000km! :blink:

thats crazy! synthetic or not, no oil is going to last 15000km!

have a look at your oil after 5000km, its black and already have the burnt smell rite! imagine letting it stay in your engine for another 10000km. might as well throw in sand and water in there with it too! have a nice party in ya engine!

save ya money and just use mineral oil. change it every 5000kms. your wallet and car will thank you for it.

Originally posted by Daniel@Jun 10 2005, 07:42 PM
the best oil is fresh oil.

Personally I agree. As long as the brand is reputable and of a suitable grade , even mineral oil is adequate. Just change it on time and don't go supersonic all the time like eddie mentioned ..... :D

Then again, "adequate" is a relative term depending on what our expectations are ..... :D

if u rev the engine often, then better to have Fully syn engine oil... cos it can provide better protection and smoother at the higher RPM. but if u hardly rev past 4000rpm, then mineral oil would do fine....

The oils would show difference when it's at the higher extreme, not all oil is the same... ;)

I started a thread "In Search of the Right Engine Oil", relating to this issue sometime back, u may get more info & revisit some of the technicals discussed herein. Fabian n some others have been valuable contibutors to this forum.
Happy reading! :D

:D ok thanx guys.. basically there are variations and there is no right or wrong la.u gotta to apply according to each and every conditions that u operate the car in/as.

dude....try these brands:

1)CONOCO syncon(hydrocracked lubricants)- 10w-30,i think the hav
20w-50 also

2)shell helix or castrol

3)caltex halvonine 20w-50

i have been using the conoco syncon for 2 years now and its the best.
they hav fully synth(10w-30) and semi synth i think

engine has performed like magic till today!
when they drain the engine oil,its not so sludgy or black.

different people have different preference of engine oil. Which oil is best suited for your bimmer largely depends on the condition of your engine. I guess the best advise seen so far is consistently having "fresh oil", irregardless of the type/brand.

Originally posted by c-square@Jun 14 2005, 11:08 PM
different people have different preference of engine oil. Which oil is best suited for your bimmer largely depends on the condition of your engine. I guess the best advise seen so far is consistently having "fresh oil", irregardless of the type/brand.
cs,true!
thts why i just told him wht i recommended mah! :p
afterall he did ask for suggestions.
wht engine oil do u use btw?
regards,
-brad-

p/s u guys should also try selenia oils....the hpx gold is damn good too.
thts 10w40 and there is the 20w50 but i cant remember the name lah.
i've used the brands in the motorsport industry for a while now and the brands tht i recommended hav been tried and tested hence my recommendation.

Top Bottom