V-Power - Hmmmm.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
A roadtrip brought me these numbers (measured over a distance of 310-320km each):

1. Average speed 118km/h (crusing 120-130km/h, peak 145km/h) -> 12.3km/L
2. Average speed 108km/h (crusing 100-140km/h, peak 160km/h) -> 12.1km/L

At first glance it may appear higher speed -> better FC but I suspect the higher FC of #2 was due to a lot more acceleration/deceleration due to heavy traffic and rain. Unfortunately I didn't record down FC data from my previous trip over the same stretch using normal Shell RON97. Anyone have comparable numbers from using normal RON97?

Power-wise, did not notice any significant difference from my previous long-distance roadtrips on Shell RON97 and Petronas, but then I did minimal hard acceleration.

Bear in mind that combustion is a lot more efficient at night/rain when the air is cool. So unless you can confirm external temperature and moisture is constant, such comparison cannot proof anything.

Hey, Traveller, I think you won't find much difference in power in your 325 Sports. I don't feel much difference either - that engine would be torquey even with RON95. Try it in your smaller capacity car if you have one. I found the difference in torque in my smaller Japs and heavier 4WDs to be very evident when I alternated between Super and V-Power in successive full tanks.

FC is definitely better with V-Power. The long-term average FC (from 1st km) of my 325 Sports has now increased from a low of 11.8l/100, but at 12.0l/100, it's still a fantastic FC. And that's with revving it to 5000 RPM at least once a day.

i do felt significant power increase with shell v power. not a bmw btw. but after the ecu was retuned (mt lt8s)

Bros, today I noticed that V-Power price dropped to RM2.12 per liter. Anyone know since when did Shell drop the price?

i only pump v-power to my 325 also. notice the drop since last week(if im not wrongly remembered)

think cause by the economy ppl scare to spend more i guess. 3cents drop is nothing. say 60liter*0.03 its only rm1.80 and thats only 1 liter ron97. but when it comes to a fuel hike......................... im speechless

by the way, any of you affected by the economy? for me i think the economy is just the same, and for my job, its even better at this period. :rolleyes:

*dont read the newspaper, then the economy is good as ever, only inflation is unstopable

jc@;415604 said:
by the way, any of you affected by the economy? for me i think the economy is just the same, and for my job, its even better at this period. :rolleyes:

I think everyone is affected one way or another. I was at the bank yesterday and FD rates are 2.5% for 1 year and 2% monthly (*^%%!

jc, you base the state of the economy only on your job as it looks at the moment? You don't notice that everything - exports, imports, air travel, car sales, consumer spending, stock markets - is down not just by a few percentage points, but 20, 30, 40%? That bellwether companies like Microsoft and Toyota are retrenching? That 16 out of 19 of the largest US banks are technically insolvent? That Singapore has realistically declared a -9% shrinkage for this year? Etc, etc.

Sorry jc, but you just don't know what this means going forward the next few years.

After reading a posting about the economy hitting Germany's oldest profession, then I read about a member's new toy, RM497k 335i turbo, then I read about an E90's RM11k upgrade to BMW Performance parts.. I guess some beds are still filled with beautiful roses after all.. :wink:

I even heard warehousing business is flourishing now not because end products can't move and need to stock up, but investor stocking up non-perishable raw material to take advantage of the cheap prices now.. hmmn.... maybe I should dig a lobang and keep crude oil... :p

This very out of topic but who cares.. :p why? because MALAYSIA BOLEH!!

Malaysia takes pole position in regional car sales
By Goh Thean Eu
Published: 2009/03/28

MALAYSIA sold the most number of cars in January, for the first time in 10 years beating other markets in Southeast Asia.

The global economic slowdown has had a bigger impact on other countries in the region and most car markets are hurt.

As of January this year, Thailand and Indonesia car sales fell by 30 per cent and 23 per cent to 32,085 units and 31,567 units respectively. In contrast, Malaysian car sales fell by 17 per cent to 37,801 units.

Singapore, Brunei and Vietnam markets fell by 30 per cent, 7 per cent and 68 per cent respectively, while car sales in the Philippines were stagnant.

"As far as I can remember, Malaysia has been in number two or number three position for a very long time ... more than 10 years," said Malaysian Automotive Association (MAA) president Datuk Aishah Ahmad when contacted.

However, Aishah said it is too early to predict if Malaysia can maintain its momentum to become the region's best performer by year-end.

"It is very difficult to say, it depends on the economic scenario of each country," she added.

The association held its annual general meeting in Petaling Jaya yesterday.

During the media briefing, MAA appealed to the government to reconsider expanding the car scrapping policy to include locally-assembled vehicles. Currently, a discount of RM5,000 is given to car owners who trade-in their more than 10-year-old cars for the purchase of new Proton or Perodua cars.

"We are long-term investors in the country. We have been involved in the car industry longer than Proton and Perodua. At the same time, we also provide a lot of employment," she said.

So far, MAA has written a letter to Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak. The letter was also copied to the Ministry of Finance (MOF) as well as the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (Miti).

"I think Miti has been quite positive over this. It is MOF that has to relook and reconsider our appeal," she said.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/maa27/Article/index_html

Head in the sand... 1. We've always been the largest auto market in SEA. 2. Feb sales were 30% down year-on-year. 3. National car companies hurting badly. 4. New higher interest rates for non-national cars just announced. The signs are obvious.

Higher interest rate academically is a fiscal policy tool used by the govt to dampen spending, cool down over heated economy from run away inflation.. however, for our case, its used to divert demand to purchase national cars.. now that sucks! ^%$#@!

I was told as at last December, we registered a shortage of Accountants but by Jan2009, the figure suddenly become surplus... because Accountants are repatriated from US and UK, returning to M'sia by the hundreds!.. :eek:

"Head in the sand".. of course, how else do u think I managed to get an E90 320i, others who bought 325i the same time as me also fully paid lio and I still owe the bank RM200k.. *&^%$#@! :p

astroboy;415880 said:
I was told as at last December, we registered a shortage of Accountants but by Jan2009, the figure suddenly become surplus... because Accountants are repatriated from US and UK, returning to M'sia by the hundreds!.. :eek:

And from Singapore. Migrant workers wordwide are the first to be retrenched. 9% contraction projected there bro! But here only 1% projected. :rolleyes:

.. but I ask 100 people, only 1 got VSS wor, she got a job after less than a month.. so any of your friends got retrenched? 1 out of 10?

Whatever Malaysia is going thru, is I think its true as reported.. not that we lansi or what but the fact is, we have not gone a lot better since 1997, so we suffer less now.. compare to those who recover a lot from 1997. That's my opinion. :p

I think in general we are better off than Singapore or US, or Australia but things have been better in the past. Due to less corporates spending esp. MNC, or manufacturing sectors here in Malaysia, and the prolonged public sector sit and wait spending attitude, its made the market more competitive with margins coming down. However, we are seeing some interesting dynamics, where jobs are shifting out from the US and re-locating in India, Malaysia, China etc in view of the cost cutting measures. Bad news is still US consumer market is not buying as much as before and it has impacted the manufacturing/electronics sector quite hard with mass layoffs here in Malaysia (NEC, WD, etc).

As with all things, there are always opportunities... Stocks are reasonably low maybe not rock bottom but might be worth buying and keeping for a sunnier day. At 2% or 2.5% FD rates, best to do this. One day you'll be kicking yourself on why you didn't buy when no one was buying as always the case... :rolleyes: Oil and Gas, Palm Oil, (commodity prices are bound to rise again from its all time low) Financial stocks are bound to see a sunnier day over the next year or so, compared to the measly 2.5% return in a year or so.. quite a good option now.

Yeah, that would be a good idea if you have the spare cash... but in my case, I have had to refinance my house for a lower interest rate and all my spare funds are being put in it to reduce my interest. Well, of course one might argue that instead of putting everything into the housing loan, some of the funds can be diverted for investments for better returns... now what gives a higher return than my interest rate???? hmmm, as I am a bloody non-risk taker, that is tough call.:rolleyes:

E46Fanatic;415906 said:
As with all things, there are always opportunities... Stocks are reasonably low maybe not rock bottom but might be worth buying and keeping for a sunnier day. At 2% or 2.5% FD rates, best to do this. One day you'll be kicking yourself on why you didn't buy when no one was buying as always the case... :rolleyes: Oil and Gas, Palm Oil, (commodity prices are bound to rise again from its all time low) Financial stocks are bound to see a sunnier day over the next year or so, compared to the measly 2.5% return in a year or so.. quite a good option now.

Schwepps;415843 said:
jc, you base the state of the economy only on your job as it looks at the moment? You don't notice that everything - exports, imports, air travel, car sales, consumer spending, stock markets - is down not just by a few percentage points, but 20, 30, 40%? That bellwether companies like Microsoft and Toyota are retrenching? That 16 out of 19 of the largest US banks are technically insolvent? That Singapore has realistically declared a -9% shrinkage for this year? Etc, etc.

Sorry jc, but you just don't know what this means going forward the next few years.

:rolleyes: chill
what im trying to do is to ask everyone to think positive. even economy is bad now, we still have to live like usual am i right?

come on, look at the bright side:)

since economy is really that bad, enjoy it by buying some stocks ( only if you know how) and you can actually gain some benefits.

what im really sad is, my friends, family member and etc, they sell thier funds, share etc at this moment.

no point i talk so much here. just cheers and think more than you say:wink:

see, fd is 2% is nothing to you unless you have a lot inside.

come on ppl, look at the bright side. blr is now negative. take this opportunity to refinance your mortgage and you earn more then 3.75%pa.

bad economy has its influences but it also gives opportunity for you to earn more. just whether you know where is it and how to grab it.

jc@;416136 said:
see, fd is 2% is nothing to you unless you have a lot inside.

come on ppl, look at the bright side. blr is now negative. take this opportunity to refinance your mortgage and you earn more then 3.75%pa.

bad economy has its influences but it also gives opportunity for you to earn more. just whether you know where is it and how to grab it.

Sound right but pls elaborate more. Where are the opportunities ? Some example pls :wink:

Top Bottom