V-Power - Hmmmm.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
sachseelan;392285 said:
astro, we dyno ourselves after some Vodka-Power at TSB la, long time no see ald... cheers

astroboy;392289 said:
Oi! Sexy-lan, after the Vodka, car also cannot find la, they all look alike.. :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you want an ethanol-mix V-Power, drink half the bottle of vodka, pour the other half into your tank and...VOILA! I think astro and sach have found the solution! :D

astroboy;392279 said:
I see there are different feedback from different V-Power users. Some say good, some say no different, some say more economical to run, some say "..just try it and u'll love it".

The true problem lies in the fact that a lot of dealers/stations do not give you pure v-power and is either watered down or not V-power at all. I've been filling up V-power for a while now and there is a difference in performance when I pump where v-power is almost clear in color and when v-power is nice and blue. Its unfortunate that there is hardly any checks and balances on what each station does with when it comes to the premium fuel. Many many folks are getting ripped off paying for v-power when they don't get 100% of it.

If only Shell does more spot checks and fine dealers. I am sure they don't want this to be widely known as its bad for their image. Do you own surveys each time you visit the Shell station and see how many stations stock true blue v-power.

... and how to water down the blue-V to clear-V leh... if add the Shell Super, which is yellow, blue+yellow, u get GREEN leh!! :eek: .. and water cannot mix with petrol oso... if campur kerosene, then can smell ma.. hmnn.... very advance.. :p

So which pump station do you reckon has true blue V-Power, E46F? I can never see the colour in the hose window.

Use a new white tissue paper and let it soak up just a little bit of the fuel at the nozzle after u finish fuelling before you put it pack at the hose rack. U should be able to see some color on the tissue. It should be a bit dark blue.

Personally I have not known of 'watered down V-power sales'. Rain water in the tanks yes. Adultered fuel I have not. FYI, it's not up to the petrol station owners to request how much or when they want to top up the tanks. The station tank gauging and sales numbers are linked by SAP to Shell and Shell decides how much to send to the station and when. Not up to station owner to decide. Station owner only accepts delivery. Normally they send around 2,500 to 3,000 liters per shipment. This depends on the road tanker compartment configuration.

Thanks for the good info WC :top:. However, there are many cases of clear/almost clear v-power being sold around Klang valley today. There have been times where I go to a station to fill up, peer on the glass viewer on top of the hose to notice v-power is clear in color (same as Shell super) and just drive off to find another station. Maybe next time I'll snap pics of the differences and post them here heh.

WC do you know sources in Shell who can give us assurance that v-power stock is real v-power at the stations and that there is no way to beat the system Shell has by unscrupulous dealers?

Schwepps;392467 said:
So which pump station do you reckon has true blue V-Power, E46F? I can never see the colour in the hose window.

Some stations, there is a glass viewer at the bottom of the petrol pump handle (e.g. Shell station opposite BHP going towards the BU ramp from DJ. Easiest to snap pics of the color of fuel which I'll do next time I fill up). Check it out. You can view the color of the fuel clearly there. Some stations, the glass viewer on top is very dirty and dusty (for v power only) and its seemingly clean and clear for Shell super on top of the hose.

E46F,

If I recall correctly, the blue of V-power is a color tracer put into the fuel to make it identifiable from the other grades. Same goes why shell had red and yellow for the other 2 grades. It's basically a dye, so visually they don't mix it up when doing load and unload.

However, I do get what you mean as a consumer when you see the varying depth of the tracer color,it it does make you think is it the real deal or adultured fuel when u pump. Maybe should ask the tech staff.

What u say could be true, if and only if the tracer comes pre-mixed with the V-power additives and added to the fuel at the loading station. Then the color with give an indication of the concentration of the additive injection rates.

I suspect the additive injection rates are sometimes of target during operations or the tracer concentration is not consistant for each additive drum .Maybe for shell as long as it's identifiable as blue it's good enough. Cause for them it don't add value to their product if the tracer color shade is consistant all the time. No blue at all then is problem.

If however there are 2 seperate injection points : 1 for additive and 1 for tracer at loading stations then the above would not be true as the tracer concentration will be independent of the additive dosing rates.

Thanks for the info on the tracers sifu wc. ;)

The problem in the petrol distribution chain is unscrupulous drivers and dealers - there were reported cases a few years back. My opinion is that we have a better chance with Shell, because they use remote metering, SAP management systems and GPS tracking to combat adulteration. Having dealt with Shell before, I know how anal they can be about controls. Am I right, wc?

I tend to use the bigger, higher volume and newer stations, and avoid low-lying ones where the storage tanks would be below the water table most of the time.

So the blue is a dye, then can anyone provide info on what is the difference between blue Shell and the yellow Shell, apart from the color and price? and how to benefit from the "premium" fuel? Some say less than 2 years car no effect because engine is clean but old car will immediately benefit from it through the cleansing process and engine become more efficient..

I know all these are trade secret and many on my friends that's from the industry refuse to comment further.

Shell is claiming to get more mileage from their fuel and on the other hand, they are sponsoring public announcement to educate drivers not to speed unnecessarily to gain FC... see the link there..

astroboy;392609 said:
So the blue is a dye, then can anyone provide info on what is the difference between blue Shell and the yellow Shell, apart from the color and price? and how to benefit from the "premium" fuel? Some say less than 2 years car no effect because engine is clean but old car will immediately benefit from it through the cleansing process and engine become more efficient..

I know all these are trade secret and many on my friends that's from the industry refuse to comment further.

Shell is claiming to get more mileage from their fuel and on the other hand, they are sponsoring public announcement to educate drivers not to speed unnecessarily to gain FC... see the link there..

Read the earlier post......all there,

Good info as always WC! I think next time when I spot clear looking v-power i'll compare it with the super as I just realize from your post that super is actually yellowish instead of clear. See if its the same hue or not. I.e does the clear looking v-power have yellow tracer/dye in it. If it does then its clear that its not v-power.

So now the hunt for clear looking v-power begins to see if there is yellow tracer in them. You guys who pump as well if you spot them, post em here and lets compare. See if we find something conclusive on this :).

Guys ... here's something interesting about the V-Power mix with ethanol ... seems it's a fact and have been done in western countries lol i guess the guy at protonmania.com maybe on to something ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Power

After further reading it seems in Australia ... Shell is mixing V-Power with ethanol that is called Shell V-Power racing (RON100) but have since then withdraw from the market ... hmmmm

I've been following the ethanol arguments for some time. The reason Autralia's ethanol-mix V-Power Racing has been withdrawn by Shell "due to a changing market" is a study by the Australian government's Ethanol Working Group showed that ethanol has some adverse effects.

Anyone who drives a car, rides a motorbike, or pilots a boat will want to know exactly what ethanol does to their vehicle's internals - particularly after recent figures suggest that 30 per cent of Australian vehicles will be adversely affected by the recommended 10% ethanol mix.

In the US it's only allowed in states with lower air pollution standards. In Brazil, it's everywhere.

In yesterday's day-trip to Kuantan and back, I achieved the following trip stats:

Fuel consumption: 9.8 l/100km
Av cruising speed: +140 kmh
Av speed: 95.6 kmh

V-Power and the N52B25 engine rock! :party:

Top Bottom