V-Power - Hmmmm.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Thanks for the informative article sachs! Good one, except it doesn't pick up on the point that V-Power is a different hydrocarbon composition from normal unleaded petrol, giving it a higher energy content. This is in fact more important than the RON factor, as our V-Power has the same RON as our Super unleaded.

It also incomplete in describing ethanol mix pros and cons. Correct that it gives out less greenhouse gases on burning, but doesn't mention that it gives out more in the making. Proponents argue that the extra greenhouse gases produced are absorbed by the corn/cane/sorghum fields producing the feedstock, but opponents argue that those fields would be there anyway, and it's a choice of using their produce for food or fuel. It also doesn't mention that burning ethanol produces more polluting nitrous oxides than petrol.

Spot the difference..

Vpower

vpower.jpg

Super
super.jpg

There was a very slight blue tinge in the vpower and since its just a dye, I hope its 100% vpower instead of a mix of vpower and super. Anyway, I would assume that the dye concentrations will be more consistent in their fuels. Oh well, regardless I'm still fueling up with vpower.

You vain guys need to start wearing glasses laa - that's definitely Klang river brown! :D

Actually, worry no more E46F. The way the APM (Automatic Pricing Mechanism) works is that the dealer gets the same 12 sen per litre margin for Regular, Super or V-Power. There's no advantage for them to mix V-Power with Super. Worry more about contamination (accidental or willful) with water and other fluids.

BTW, the petrol companies get a 5 sen margin on all products, and at the current crude price, the govt gets a duty of 55-60 sen. That can, of course, easily turn into a subsidy if the price goes up.

So why does Shell bother marketing V-Power here if the margins are the same? Cos differentiation builds brand loyalty. I was leaving Borneo Rainforest Sunway two nights ago, and the pump sign came up in the display. Spotted some stations, but not a Shell. So switched on the navigation and searched for Shell stations. Drove 6km to Subang Jaya, past Summit, just to get to a Shell! Then came back the same way to hit the LDP. Brand loyalty.

Damn, i was stuck wen balik kampung, No V-power.... nearest was ipoh town which is 30km's away.. even there i only spotted 2 stations wt VP... i took the risk driving wt warning lights on... hehe

Once coming back on the NS Highway, pump sign came up. No Shell for many km. Drove into a Petronas and filled RM20. Like kapcai only - cashier also look at me one kine. Drove on to the next R&R Shell and filled to the brim - ahhhhhhhh! Then happy lo... :p

HAAH! The Shell gods have been hearing me shower allocades on V-Power! I've just had a call telling me I've won RM300 in the Shell/BonusLink draw. Can have a few more beers at Borneo RF now! Hahahahahahaha! :dancing:

Schwepps;396666 said:
HAAH! The Shell gods have been hearing me shower allocades on V-Power! I've just had a call telling me I've won RM300 in the Shell/BonusLink draw. Can have a few more beers at Borneo RF now! Hahahahahahaha! :dancing:

I've never met you at Borneo RF before have I?

wc9922;396687 said:
I've never met you at Borneo RF before have I?

Nah, I'm in the Damansara area. First time I set foot in there was 3 nights ago lah. Liked the ambience and Hydra's music. Cool place. :beer:

Y, your hangout ka? Maybe that Shell in SJ was where I hit the draw, so BRF is lucky for me? :54: :D

Schwepps;396666 said:

nice one... damn i've been trying my luck wt bonuslink/shell and wifey wt mesra/petronas... no luck :rolleyes:!! 2 lucky malay ladies walked away wt a 325 & civic hybrid, petronas.. :top:

Schwepps;396666 said:

Cool!! Sharing is caring bro... :wink: Our after work booze session is long overdue hehe.

How about RON99 then? And whither diesel?

Excerpt from: http://star-motoring.com/blog/permalink.asp?id=374

Quite good and fine, though the question must beg that with the introduction of RON95 into the market, would it not be better to allow fuel companies to replace RON97 across the board with a higher octane number fuel such as the likes of Shell's V-Power Racing, which is effectively a RON99 fuel, if only to better segment the fuel rating index in the country?

So, is V-Power Racing is RON99 then? :wink:

the UK version of Vpower is using RON 99. Here in M'sia still using RON 97 with addictive.

I decided to try out V-Power (normally I used the normal Shell RON97 - think it's Shell Premium). Based on about 100km of driving so far, I noticed better fuel consumption of around 8km/L at 36-37km/h average speed (normally at this speed on normal RON97 I get around 7.7km/L). Distance is way too short to form any conclusions yet.. more driving needs to be done.

Power-wise, I seem to notice a minor improvement but I am unsure if this is a real improvement or a psychological one. Again, I think more driving needs to be done.

More reports to come :)

as much as possible, i will now use Vpower cos i can save fuel le..(tested and monitored for past 1 mth)

Traveler;401782 said:
Power-wise, I seem to notice a minor improvement but I am unsure if this is a real improvement or a psychological one. Again, I think more driving needs to be done.

More reports to come :)

you won't notice a very substantial power increase moving up from premium to vpower. however, after a few tanks on vpower, go back down to premium. you'll definitely feel like your engine is out of tune. this is because when you move up, most of the time our expectation exceeds the power increase and therefore don't allow much to register on the butt-dyno. moving down, we will instantly miss even a few ponies..

Top Bottom