V-Power - Hmmmm.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Disclaimer: I have not follow this thread for awhile. So the comment below is based on the post after #361

Schwepps;487133 said:
Geez...I just said the BN govt is making a stupid decision with this two-tier subsidy proposal. :stupid:

I'm loyal to fact and logic.

Most, if not all, of what Schwepps said is absolutely correct. But the different between RON95 and RON97 are totally unique to each individual, based on 1. the condition of their car (o2 sensors, age of injectors, etc) 2. transmission (auto tran sees more lower RPM) and 3. What you believe.

Most newer car with Auto Tran cannot tell the different between the 2 gasoline, except some small number of people who drive car like 328i with SMG paddle shift that see high RPM. When you stay at lower RPM most of the time, the different of using 2 different RON is small.

If I am going for a trip, which involoved driving in Highway most of the time and rarely go beyong 5000rpm, I will use RON95. And like ALbundy said, if someone ask for a spirited drive, I will pour in RON97.

Since I am driving a manual transmisson which see 6000rpm often (don't worry, I use a premium engine oil with high HTHS ;)), RON97 does provide a smother, more power delivery for 5000rpm and above. And yes, I can tell the different between RON95 and RON97 easily.
Different petrol station but same brand and same RON of fuel, can have some difference as well.
(Example: Constantly RON97 from Petronas station B always get better mileage and 'power feel' than RON97 from Petronas staton A)

Other fact.
Newer knock sensor can now detect the frequency of detonation before it actually happened. The ECU can pick up the signal from knock sensor and retard the timing as soon as 10 rotational of engine strokes before the actual detonation. Somemore, next generation of spark plug will have knock sensor cability built within it.

p/s: Interesting note. BHP RON95 is very potent. So far is the best RON95 I tested based on butt dyno.

astroboy;487030 said:
20Hz is clearly a subwoofer range while the 20KHz is tweeter range... can chase away mosquitoes.. :24:

Good try Astroboy. Mosquitoes DOES NOT have ears :D

turbology;487382 said:
Other fact.
Newer knock sensor can now detect the frequency of detonation before it actually happened. The ECU can pick up the signal from knock sensor and retard the timing as soon as 10 rotational of engine strokes before the actual detonation.

Interesting. May we know how it does this?

turbology;487382 said:
If I am going for a trip, which involoved driving in Highway most of the time and rarely go beyong 5000rpm, I will use RON95. And like ALbundy said, if someone ask for a spirited drive, I will pour in RON97.

Haha, I still remember u won the gymkhana event using RON95.. :eek:

I can feel the difference between RON95 and RON97 in both my 2.0L E90 and 1.3L Avanza..

There's a great loss of torque with RON95 with the Avanza, and u know how an under power MPV suffer when there's a slightest loss in torque! Even engine sound is a lot quieter with RON95 with the inferior sound insulation in the MPV.. the 1.3L engine literally roar with RON97!!

On the 4-cyl E90, RON95 took out at least 10hp or 150cc from the car, acceleration is sluggish and require a longer distance to achieve the same speed... boring! Just like switching to SAE40 engine oil from SAE30.. :(

astroboy;487398 said:
Haha, I still remember u won the gymkhana event using RON95.. :eek:

Actually I am running a little higher than RON97... higher RON needed for hot weather. :wink:

Shell V-Power

Shell V-Power........thats my choice........been using this despite the RM2.38/per liter........vrooooom, vrooooom........thats for sure.

Funny, my E90 seems to LOVE the V-Power..... but SIPS on the RON95.... what to do laaa?

Are you sure, bro? Is it based on a proper full tank to full tank test? I got 13.9l/100 with 95 and now I'm getting 12.5l/100 with VPower as I continue my test, same city cycle driving.

Mine Too

Schwepps;489351 said:
Are you sure, bro? Is it based on a proper full tank to full tank test? I got 13.9l/100 with 95 and now I'm getting 12.5l/100 with VPower as I continue my test, same city cycle driving.

Bro Schwepps,

Have the same experience like yourself..........wonder why???.........for my last few tanks, I have been using V-Power...........I am Just loving It.........

Maybe I revved a bit harder on V-Power but easy on RON95..... will try again. Just refilled at the Shell @ Opposite Eastin Hotel. :top:

fuiyoh..u hv different driving style habits when different type of oil use ar???? tsk tsk tsk

Aiyah.... when with family, drive like tortoise on steroid laaa......... when alone, like shoe marker laaa....

Fully agree with you, Ray. :top: That's what I've been trying to say in this thread, but there's a lot of psychological wish-hope that there's a difference in performance from ULG 97 and VPower.

My ongoing test has established that VPower does give better FC, but I don't find that there is more power/torque from it. ULG 95 gives me the same pulling power when I floor the accelerator, which I do once every day in the same stretch of highway. ULG 97 is confirmed a real waste of money.

dont forget the last row as quoted The bottom line: Read your owner's manual. While some high-performance or luxury cars may need super gas, your average Celica doesn't

thankfully my car is not an average celica hahaha

Performance Petrol Rip Off

glock_8;490080 said:
dont forget the last row as quoted The bottom line: Read your owner's manual. While some high-performance or luxury cars may need super gas, your average Celica doesn't

thankfully my car is not an average celica hahaha

I agree...its such a rip off! Even CNN Money branded the "performance" petrols a rip off!!!
Its all pychological play on the mind, people...strenthen your mind...don't be taken by the ads!!:listen::eek:

And when the Americans say 'average', it's not the same average that we think of. I'm a Subaru fan, so I happen to know that the 2010 Toyota Celica will have Impreza boxer engines and the GT-4 will be a 300hp AWD, WRC capable.

When I was in the US last year, all E90s I saw were 330 and above. I saw only one dirty, sorry-looking 325i in a university parking lot (probably a student's car) I think the Yanks would consider a 325i 'below average'...

if a 218hp is not a performance car...then the golf gti will not deserve the best hot hatch (performance) either...

Schwepps;489973 said:
..My ongoing test has established that VPower does give better FC, but I don't find that there is more power/torque from it. ULG 95 gives me the same pulling power when I floor the accelerator, which I do once every day in the same stretch of highway. ULG 97 is confirmed a real waste of money.

I beg to differ with ref the bold statement above. In my 4-cyc E90 320i, ULG95 has taken out most of the fun factor from my ride. ULG97 was a lot more lively. Very obvious! Despite me running 0w-30 SLX.. compare to those days when I was on ULG97 and Torco.. :top: :love:

Top Bottom